It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sad weekend...
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:42 am 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

Well on friday night I rear-ended someone with my beloved delta. I just about cried. It wasnt a bad one, only scratches on her bumper, but thats because my bumper went under hers, and my headlight cluster absorbed the impact. I was quite beside myself when I saw the damage done to mine. Looked horrible. But after I ripped out all the broken headlight equipment, I saw that this car was designed VERY well! All i had to buy was a new headlight / signal light bezel and I am legal again. I even got it all to line up like nothing had happened! I have minor damage to the front quarter panel and on a small part of my hood.

What gets me is how RARE it is to find a headlight for these cars! No one in town had one! I had to go out in one of the wrecking yards, and tear off a headlight that was already cracked, off a 90 touring sedan. I was scared it wouldnt fit, but it looks like all these types of bodies have the same front end basically. When I find a headlight in good condition it is supposed to cost me 125 bucks. The boken one was sold to me at a rip-off price of 50 dollars, but I needed it in order to drive legally.

So I get to learn sheet metal (re)forming now... And I get to do some bondo-ing... And some painting. I am going to try to paint just the problem areas, since my paint is so perfect, I would hate to try and paint whole fenders and hoods... We'll see how this turns out.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:09 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

wow dude, that sucks. I know how hard it is to find a head light cover. One of my friends has a 88 park avenue....basically the same car.... and he had to go to a junk yard and get a beat up pos, and it was 80 bux! Well i hope you have good luck fixin your car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 11:18 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

wish i read this post sooner, i have a passenger side headlight assembly and right and left side bezels for 87-88 cars just sitting on a shelf. did you buy a new bezel from GM? thats what i ended up doing after i wrecked the front of my car, i wanted to find one used because i was just going to paint it black anyway.

"When they kick at your front door, how you gonna come, with your hands on your head, or on the trigger of your gun?" The Clash
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 11:50 am 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

you've got a one-peice passenger head light assy' sitting at home? That is interesting... :-) Would you be willing to part with it? And how much? :-)

It's just the headlight that I need to replace at this moment, as I've repaired the grille/bezel back to acceptable condition (thank you 5 minute epoxy!). There is going to be some interesting pulling required to fix my fender... But that's a project for the spring time, as I dont have a heated garage.

If you would like to get rid of that headlight, let me know your price!

http://www.cardomain.com/id/88delta88
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:01 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

do you need the passenger's side headlight? i'm pretty sure it is a passengers side because i remember being pissed that the drivers side was hit because i needed a drivers side fender. that could be another car i am thinking of though, i have had a few parts cars, 2 87's and an 89 98, also a buick lesabre.

"When they kick at your front door, how you gonna come, with your hands on your head, or on the trigger of your gun?" The Clash
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:58 am 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

Yeah, its the passenger's headlight that I require. If you have one, and dont mind selling it, I will buy it from you for sure!!! What kind of bezels did you have with that? If you describe them to me, I would be interested in buying both the headlight and bezel for the passenger side. (if you dont mind selling)

Just to make sure, it is the reflector type of headlight, not the individual sealed beams?

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 12:23 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

yeah, its the type that takes a 9004 style bulb. if you can wait, next time i go to work i will take a pic with my digital camera. the bezel has half the grill and the bezel in it. i think the same was used for 87 and 88. but i'd like to get rid of both of the bezels. i'll throw the other one in for no extra charge because i'll have no use for it, i guess you just lucky i took this stuff off the car because i was thinking about changing my car over to the 87 style grill and headlights, but i lost my motivation.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 9:47 am 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

Yeah, it wouldnt be hard to swap everything out to the newer style. Are you sure you want to get rid of it? I'll take them for sure, I can wait for a picture, I have a damaged, but functional temporary healight in the car at the moment, so Im not in any hurry.

Thats way too perfect that this happened... I guess thats one of the benefits of hanging around with other olds owners!

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:20 pm 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

86delta, any word on the headlight? Just wondering what you might want for the light and bezels.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 9:59 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

hey, sorry for the delay. i'm goin to work tomorrow and i will take some pics of the stuff then. as far as price goes, i'm thinking whatever shipping is going to cost plus $20 for the headlight and both bezels.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:18 pm 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

sweet, you have them sold. you will have to ship them to canada, unfortunately, but you can send it collect, or if you want to pay for shipping, I will cover it in the price.

i've never dealt over the net before, how do we work this?

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 2:09 am 
TOC Mechanic
TOC Mechanic

guys..if I may interject....
normally when I sell parts this way, it is common practice to use a postal money order. I have the buyer mail me a postal money order, then I ship the part out the next day. This way, if one or the other of you attempts to defraud the other, the postal service will consider it mail fraud. Also, whoever is DOING the shipping, you should check the shipping rate, as shipping across the border can be a royal pain in the ass. UPS tends to be higher than hell when shipping to Canada, however, the US postal service will ship to Canada, although it may take a bit longer to get there.If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

69 Olds Cutlass S
70 Olds Vista Cruiser Wagon
72 Olds Cutlass S, 12:1 470 stroker, JM40 solid lifter cam, TH400, 3500 10" PTC stall, 4.11 posi
74 442 455/TH350
79 Cutlass 455/TH375 sleeper
'97 GMC Sierra Ext Cab 9" lift w/ 37's
 Profile Personal album  

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]