It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 12:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:35 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Ok let's see here. I've only powerbraked the car once and that was just to see if it would. That was also I think like three months after I bought it. I know how that foolishness will warp a brake drum in a hurry.
Now, why would they "design" the car to stick like that? That just sounds dangerous! I mean if someone buys the car, gets shot out into a dangerous intersection, and get whacked, what kind of a reliabilty factor is that? That just sounds crazy to me. The first time it happend to me I was headed for the busiest street in the neighborhood, with cross traffic! I was lucky enough to figure out to double punch the gas to get it to quit, before I finally reached the end of the drive. (Scared the CRAP out of me!) I certainly wouldn't build a 2700 lbs. car to act like a raging tyrant just because a motor mount is broken.
A "clamshell" motor mount as they are calling it, fit's inside of a small frame and has a bolt run through it. The "shell" is welded to the frame, and the arms for the connecting bolt are bolted to the motor. Basically the mount is a big flat piece of rubber with a shank molded into it. Now they do have the "short, wide" motor mount for most SBC applications, but this mount has a third eye hole where it bolts to the motor. If you put that paticular mount on the Olds motor the third eye will be digging into the oil pan.
Would it be worth my while to have my Machine shop fabricate a full steel mount for that side? I don't want to damage anything by putting a solid motor mount on it. Keep in mind the only mods done are an Edelbrock air cleaner, an MSD blaster coil and I've removed and blocked all of the A.I.R. operations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:25 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Nomad wrote:
........ I've only powerbraked the car once ........

OK, the answer is, no.

88 Coupe wrote:
........ G bodies are not noted for breaking engine mounts .........

Odds are, the premature failure of the first was caused by abuse from a PO. Since the following failure was not, we need to find out where you forked up.

Nomad wrote:
........ why would they "design" the car to stick like that? ........

Do I need to answer that? If so, we will cover it as we get to the solution of your problem.

Nomad wrote:
........ fit's inside of a small frame and has a bolt run through it. The "shell" is welded to the frame, and the arms for the connecting bolt are bolted to the motor. Basically the mount is a big flat piece of rubber with a shank molded into it ........

I got lost at the "fit's inside of a small frame" part. I'll try it this way:

How is it different than the one you are using? This replaces the first part of the question. The second is still.

88 Coupe wrote:
........ and why are they "trying to sell" it to you? ........

If you are not able to answer a question, say so.

Nomad wrote:
........ Now they do have the "short, wide" motor mount for most SBC applications, but this mount has a third eye hole where it bolts to the motor ........

WTF does a SBC have to do with this topic. Are you trying to impress us with your vast knowledge again? Or do you think I do not know anything about SBC or SBO mounts?

Nomad wrote:
........ If you put that particular mount on the Olds motor the third eye will be digging into the oil pan ........

That a SBC engine mount will not bolt on to a SBO is another of your no brainers.

Nomad wrote:
........ Would it be worth my while to have my Machine shop fabricate a full steel mount for that side? ........

Worth? For you? It's your time and money, and your decision.

Reread my response to your urethane comment. This time, think about it. Ask yourself why using urethane in place of rubber might defeat the purpose of an engine mount.

Nomad wrote:
........ the only mods done are an Edelbrock air cleaner, an MSD blaster coil ........

I was going to suggest, that this should go in the "appearance" section, and realized your engine mount question should have been posted in the maintenance section.

My oversight, I should have requested you start a new thread, at the time.

Nomad wrote:
........ and I've removed and blocked all of the A.I.R. operations.

Another appearance mod. Must look cool when you open your hood?

Norm

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:34 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Hi all,

It appears Nomad found out which of his repairs he forked up. I'm guessing, he, like many others, is too embarrassed to do the update.

Norm

Profile Personal album  

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2