It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:40 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Alright lets see if we can get an answer to this poser, since my last one kinda fell on it's face. (See 4-4-2 Cluster into a Supreme: Perfomance) I am trying to locate belt mouldings for the doors of my 2 door '83 Cutlass Supreme. After 23 years the poor rubber in them just isn't what it used to be. Since GM has decided to make it a bright idea to discontinue stuff after the ten year mark they have become a little difficult to find. JC Whitney carries the window weatherstip along the car's body that seals that top of the window. The funny thing is they carry the belt moulding for the Monte Carlo but not the Cutlass. (Anybody else think that's kinda stupid?) So if I could get a reliable source for new belt moulding for my doors that would be awesome.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:54 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Hi Nomad, hello everyone,

Welcome to TOC.

Quote:
Alright lets see if we can get an answer to this poser, since my last one kinda fell on it's face. (See 4-4-2 Cluster into a Supreme: Perfomance) ........

Fell on it's face? We saw it. You got an answer. I thought you would have had it done by now.

Quote:
........ I am trying to locate belt mouldings for the doors of my 2 door '83 Cutlass Supreme ........

What is a belt molding?

Quote:
........ Since GM has decided to make it a bright idea to discontinue stuff after the ten year mark ........

It's only one of many "bright ideas" that keeps them in business. They are forced, by law, to keep all parts in stock for a certain period. After that, they can, and do, disco anything that doesn't sell.

Quote:
........ funny thing is they carry the belt moulding for the Monte Carlo but not the Cutlass. (Anybody else think that's kinda stupid?) ........

No. What is "kinda stupid" is to waste warehouse space by stocking parts they cannot sell.

Regards, Norm

Profile Personal album  

Post subject: In response...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:28 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Thanks for the reply, Norm. Unfortunately I was looking for an answer to a question, not a mockery of my bulletin. By the way a belt moulding is also refered to as a window scraper, or the window weatherstrip. There is an inner and an outer on each door.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:35 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Aren't those also called felts? I've seen that term used on a station wagon group.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Re: In response...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:15 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Nomad wrote:
........ I was looking for an answer to a question ........

And I asked for clarification so I could answer it.

What's the problem? Is it that we haven't answered quick enough? Or that we are not able to read your mind? Or maybe, you are one of those who thinks the internet (and the world) is here to serve you?

Nomad wrote:
........ not a mockery of my bulletin ........

Wasn't your post a mockery of this site, and of Oldsmobile/GM?

Or is it that you do not have, even a basic understanding of economics 101?

Now that we know you're looking for weatherstrip, not molding,

I can suggest you try here. They are well known among the restoration/show types. I have not personally done business with them, and don't know how much of their inventory comes from offshore.

I use a local guy who does not stock rubber for G bodies.

Olaf wrote:
Aren't those also called felts? ........

Molding would be either stainless steel or "pot metal" and could hardly be called felt. Same with weatherstrip, as it's made from rubber.

The felt you speak of, is actually made of felt.

Norm

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:45 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

I know at Service King we call them belt mouldings Norm. You ask for weatherstripping at Service King and all you'll get si the big fat seal that goes over the top of the door jamb to seal the window to the body. Since you seem to know so much about your GM, maybe you can answer why the gas pedal keeps sticking to the floor? This is an issue I need to resolve before it decides to try and kill me. I've rebuilt the linkage on the carb and taken the pedal assembly out to rebuild it as well. I've even replaced the throttle cable. It's got nothing to do with the carpet either because I have rubber floor mats. Got anymore ideas? Oh and for your information, it irritates me that you can readily get parts for old Chevy/GM trucks, Corvettes, Camaros, Firebirds, even the '70's models Olds', but for the '80 model Cutlass it's dang near impossible, I've had better success pulling teeth. :x Heck I can find parts for my '64 Volkswagen easier than I can my Cutlass. It's a G-body for cryin out loud! That body style is shared with five different cars (techniaclly four, since the Grand Nat and the Regal are the same). All I wanna do is rebuild this car...
I've never heard them called felts before though. -?- I've heard the window tracks in my VW called felts before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:18 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

88 Coupe wrote:
Nomad wrote:
........ I was looking for an answer to a question ........

And I asked for clarification so I could answer it.

What's the problem? Is it that we haven't answered quick enough? Or that we are not able to read your mind? Or maybe, you are one of those who thinks the internet (and the world) is here to serve you?

Nomad wrote:
........ not a mockery of my bulletin ........

Wasn't your post a mockery of this site, and of Oldsmobile/GM?

Or is it that you do not have, even a basic understanding of economics 101? ........

Do you always ignore responses to your own posts?

Out of Common Courtesy, I'll respond to yours, this time.

Nomad wrote:
I know at Service King we call them belt mouldings ........

Didn't you follow the link I posted? Don't they stock the part? Didn't they call it "beltline weatherstrip"?

Does it matter what "Service King" calls a part they don't even sell? Does it matter that you haven't been able to find it, because you've been using the wrong name?

Nomad wrote:
........ You ask for weatherstripping at Service King and all you'll get is the big fat seal that goes over the top of the door jamb to seal the window to the body ........

Logical, since it is also called a weatherstrip. Shops in my neighborhood would ask "which one?" then get you the part you wanted.

What does "Service King" call the Stainless piece next to the window? You know, the one everyone else calls molding.

Nomad wrote:
........ Since you seem to know so much about your GM ........

Actually not near as much as any "car builder" would. The small amount of knowledge I do have, is not limited to GM.

Nomad wrote:
........ maybe you can answer why the gas pedal keeps sticking to the floor ........

Maybe I can, but not on a message board. In this venue, communication is hard enough when both parties know the proper terminology. In person, it should be a no brainer, even if one were not a "car builder".

I always diagnose a problem before I repair it. Looks like you repair things until you find the diagnosis.

Based on the limited info you've given, I'd guess you forked up one, or more, of your repairs.

Is the cable adjusted properly? Take it off. Does it slide smoothly in its housing like it should? Does the pedal move smoothly as it should? Does the carb work smoothly, as it should? Is the spring tension too heavy or too light? Do you have a broken left engine mount? Is the cable connected to the carb in the correct spot?

Nomad wrote:
........ it irritates me that you can readily get parts for ........

Speaking of no brainers, if it bothers you that much, sell the car and buy something you can get parts for. Maybe a Camaro or a Mustang. Your alternative is to take Economics 101 at your local adult school.

Nomad wrote:
........ techniaclly four, since the Grand Nat and the Regal are the same ........

And the lady was technically pregnant. Nice try at showcasing your vast knowledge of the "G" bodies.

Nomad wrote:
........ I've never heard them called felts before ........

Because they are not felts. Didn't I cover felts in my previous post? Did you even read it?

88 Coupe wrote:
Olaf wrote:
Aren't those also called felts? ........

Molding would be either stainless steel or "pot metal" and could hardly be called felt. Same with weatherstrip, as it's made from rubber.

The felt you speak of, is actually made of felt.

He asked a question. I answered it.

Olaf wrote:
........ I've seen that term used on a station wagon group.

Another of his meaningless statements. Is that what confused you?

Nomad wrote:
........ I've heard the window tracks in my VW called felts before.

Because someone used the term, does not mean it was the correct name of that part. Lots of people spreading lots of BS out there.

Now, unless you want to grow up and carry on an adult discussion, I'm done with this thread.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:41 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Good Norm. I am personally fed up with your condesending tone in your replies. Your "link" led to no end for the Cutlass. Found lots of stuff for Crudstangs and Slowmaros. Has it ever occured to you that maybe people ask questions to gain knowlegde of something unknown to them? While I brush up on my Econimcs, which by the way has NOTHING to do with my ORIGINAL question. How bout you take a nice little trip down the hall and brush up on your people skills. I'd hate to see how you treat your kids. The last part of the last response I posted was in answer to Olaf's question, but you of course interjected that one. Ask one little question and the first person to pick it up has to be the ass of the lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:11 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

Is this not the part you're looking for?

BTW, it says "Windowfelt kit"

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:52 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Thank you God! Someone just simply answered the question. I appreciate the link Brando. I may keep that old turd after all.LOL It's a joke. Sarcazm...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:12 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

Thank Norm, he gave the link...

88 Coupe wrote:
Didn't you follow the link I posted? Don't they stock the part? Didn't they call it "beltline weatherstrip"?

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:30 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Brando wrote:
........ BTW, it says "Windowfelt kit"

Thanks for the clarification. I wonder what they call an actual window felt kit.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:18 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

http://www.oldsconnection.com/forum/vie ... 6592#16592

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:36 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

I think that different people have heard the item we are discussing called so many different things that it is often confusing to some when they know one part to be called one thing and another something else. I think there was some confusion between the name of the part for sure. Olaf called it felt, which judging by the link he was not totally wrong in his assumption. I called it belt moulding, at my occupation that is what it is called. Heck, before I work there I called them "window scrapers". Go figure. Norm calls it weatherstrip, which makes me think of another part entirely. Normally when I am describing the particular part that i am thinking of, I usually have a visual guide or some kind of reference near-by. It's like Norm said about him using someone local. It's nice to have that "face-to-face". I'm not saying anyone was wrong for the name of said part it just felt like I was being a little attacked when Norm started taking my bulletin apart and quoting it. Sorry for jumpin down your throat. By the way I did have a busted motor mount on the left. Thanks. Too bad Energy Suspensions doesn't make that mount in urethane (and, no, I don't have the "clamshell" mount they keep trying to sell me). Why does that one keep breaking? That's twice in the year I've owned the car. How is it that the said motor mount binds the linkage? I don't uderstand how that can happen. Please explain.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:27 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Hello everyone,

It's always a pleasure to participate in an adult discussion.

It seems many vendors are using whatever terminology they can, to increase traffic to their stores/sites. That would come under "Economics 101" and it's hard to argue with.

Nomad wrote:
........ felt like I was being a little attacked ........

And you did not realize you were only being chastised for your own attacks on TOC, GM, and JC Whitney.

Nomad wrote:
........ when Norm started taking my bulletin apart and quoting it ........

Norm has good reason to do exactly that. It shows what is being referred to, in a manner that makes it nearly impossible to misinterpret.

Nomad wrote:
........ Too bad Energy Suspensions doesn't make that mount in urethane ........

Not practical and not needed. G bodies are not noted for breaking engine mounts. The minimal return in sales would not begin to make up for the R&D and manufacturing costs involved in getting it into stores. Economics 101 applies.

Nomad wrote:
........ and, no, I don't have the "clamshell" mount they keep trying to sell me ........

Please take another look at the way you phrased this statement. Doesn't it seem a little hostile?

What is a clamshell mount, and why are they "trying to sell" it to you?

Nomad wrote:
........ Why does that one keep breaking? ........

Do you "powerbrake" it much?

Nomad wrote:
........ How is it that the said motor mount binds the linkage? ........

When the broken mount allows the engine to rock to the right, the carb linkage rises enough to upset the cable angle. At WOT the cable pulls down, instead of back.

Catch 22: Carb cannot close until the engine returns to its normal position, and the engine cannot return until the carb closes.

Nomad wrote:
........ I don't uderstand how that can happen. Please explain.

They probably designed it that way, so you'd know when you broke a mount.

Regards, Norm

Profile Personal album  

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next