It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 4 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Trunk Neon/LEDs
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:12 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Does anyone have any kind of light setup in their trunks? There is a lot of dark space in my trunk and I would like to light up my sub and amp a little. I was thinking maybe replace the stock trunk light with some LEDs, since it's dead anyway. I would also like to know people set up lights to go on when the bass hits. I think thats really cool. Let me know what you guys think.

Post subject: Re: Trunk Neon/LEDs
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:05 pm 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

raskull wrote:
.... There is a lot of dark space in my trunk ....

Mine was dark when it all began...

Now it pretty bright, without lights. I would like to add some lights aswell. I am waiting until I see someone produce the multicolor LED light bars. I think fading to all the colors of the rainbow would produce some killer lighting effects in the trunk area.

There is a princess auto (industrial surplus liquidation store) here and they have HUNDREDS of neons, led light bars and other "ricer" stuff no one would buy, all marked down under $10.00 for the 24" and under $5.00 for the 16" and shorter ones. If I wanted to do lighting, I could go absolutely nuts. Maybe you can find a similar deal...

http://www.cardomain.com/id/88delta88
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:54 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

When you are driving, isn't the trunk closed? So I ask you, why bother? Why not spend the money on something that you cn enjoy performance wise? Just asking... :D

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:08 pm 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

afrats wrote:
When you are driving, isn't the trunk closed? So I ask you, why bother? Why not spend the money on something that you cn enjoy performance wise? Just asking... :D

Same reason people put chrome under the hood... ;-) Gotta show off your work!

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:12 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

afrats wrote:

I dont have a light in the trunk anyway, i figured if i was gonna replace it, might as well give it a little nice effect to light up my junk. im not looking for $200 lights here, just something small to light up the place. If i wanted to go a step further, maybe id do interior neon. MAYBE. There isnt a whole lot i can do to pimp out the exterior of my car because its kind of dinged up. theres a lot of scratches and dents. the rear passenger door has some damage courtesy of my sister taking a tight turn around a cement barrier. On that note, how do you guys take care of your paint jobs? i probably need to patch up some spots before they start rusting.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:29 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

I used a l.e.d light strip from autozone right under the 3rd brakelight area is. i disconnceted the turnk light and ran the wire to light strip, so when i open my trunk everything is blue! it looks more like a spaceship landed in my trunk if you look from far away. I had the neon but my two 12's took that out when i went to a sound off competition! i hit 127dB and cracked the neon tube!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:53 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

91parkave wrote:
I used a l.e.d light strip from autozone right under the 3rd brakelight area is. i disconnceted the turnk light and ran the wire to light strip, so when i open my trunk everything is blue!

that's exactly what im looking to do

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:53 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

this is it http://www.autozone.com/R,NONAPP14934/s ... Detail.htm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:15 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

I had never thought of this and now I'm seriously considering doing this in my 02 Alero. 91 Park Ave do you have any pictures of the lights in your trunk, just do I can see the final result.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:21 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

88Delta88 you were talking about rainbow coloured LEDs or neon. I see you're in Canada (same as me), and Canadian Tire has a 12 inch multi-coloured neon light. apparently it plugs into the 12 volt adapter but theres probably a way to wire it into the system. The link is: http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/produ ... 7932642500

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:15 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

ill get a pic of later on tonite but heres how its mounted

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:07 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

thats dank. how is it mounted? double stick tape? Does it light up with the bass or is it just a cool looking utility light?

I was thinking maybe get two different ones of different color, one thats constantly on when the trunk is open, and another that goes when the bass hits.

Heres a question: If i were to get interior lighting, what should i get color wise. the upholstery is all red along with the floor, dash and doors. Would red light make everything look black, or would blue do that? would they even clash at all? Im just speculating. I wouldn't have that problem in the trunk cause everything is an even gray.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:25 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

ive had them both i hate color now its cool at first but the grown side of you will eventually take over so i got all hyperwhite bulbs instead which are a very suttle purpl/ bright white hue. and yea the light is mounted with the tar off the dynamat! because the heat and vibration cause the double sided tape to fail numerous times. My neon i used to have, had the bass jump feature but as i said earlier my 12's shortned the lifespan considerably...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:32 pm 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

88_Cutlass wrote:
88Delta88 you were talking about rainbow coloured LEDs or neon. I see you're in Canada (same as me), and Canadian Tire has a 12 inch multi-coloured neon light. apparently it plugs into the 12 volt adapter but theres probably a way to wire it into the system. The link is: http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/produ ... 7932642500

Thanks 88_Cutlass, I've never actually seen those ones before. I will be sure to check them out next time Im at Canadian tire. I am thinking of the actual RGB led's that you see in a lot of novelty toys lately, that can fade to any color of the rainbow. They're VERY cool.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:44 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

My subbox is huge so it goes all the way to the top of the trunk so i dont think mounting a bar underneath the top is gonna do much except light up the right side of my trunk. I just found some lights on ebay, 2 8" neon rods for 18 bucks. I was thinking maybe mount them behind each rear light, like on the back side of them facing in. That way everything in front i.e. my sub will get lit up.

what causes the trunk light to turn on when it's open? is it possible to reroute the wires or extend them further back and wire two rods in series? or something?

Page 1 of 4 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next