It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:39 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Hello Everyone! I have an olds intrigue gl. In 77K the only thing i've change that was necessary is oil, oil filters, air filters, burned lights, and last year i bought 4 new 70 thousand mile radial tires. The cars in perfect running condition, and prior to my ownership, my mother owned it. I keep my car pretty clean inside and out. I recently decided i would mod my car on the fiscally responsible side, in other words everything for under $1500. So far i spent about a 100 on lights (silverstar 9006st/9005st i think those r the numbers)highs lows, Air filter (not K&N just regular replacement, tho it really needed it and i've noticed alittle more giddyup since the clean one went in.) Cleaners (leather conditionar and cleaner wips, tire shine too) and new wipers. I know the guy at pepboys so he hooked me up with his discount (20%). Im also bidding on a strut tower brace on ebay. Im excited cus it under 90 including shipping so far, a relative bargin for this kind of hardware. Plus its bolt on in stock locations! Even i could do it. any who, i want to do the rotors and pads, haven't researched enough on it though, and im also on the look out for a rear strut bar. My new found fascination with moding is because i've been sick for about a year and lost alot of my physical strength due to an MS like disease (called CIDP). Im not able to work and Im only able to take one class at the community college, leaving me tons of time to troll the internet.( i believe i've read edmunds.com like 30million times over) My Best Friend Alberto who likes cars, but no where near as much as i do has agreed to be my body, and do all the physical labor, while i the brainiac learns everything and gives him instructions. So far its worked, but there will always be clashes with 20 somethings. If anyone has ideas for mods on an intrigue that are cost effective let me know. It rides on gms w2 platform so things that fit other car on this platform might work too! WThanks for the help and welcome!

I LIVE FOR LIFE
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:29 am 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

why not a cold air intake? Its a relatively cheap modification (depending on if you buy a pre-made, or make it yourself), and it has benefits beyond looks. Mainly the sound it will give your engine while you accelerate hard. Just an idea.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/88delta88
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:43 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

I've thought about doing that, but im concerned with destorying factory intake stuff, ruining the way my car sounds through its rpm(which is quiet, and the way i want to keep my car) and because i'd never pay these astranomical prices yet i dont want a home made feel. I've been readin about "short ram intakes" and i dont really truelly understand it. I get the principle behind them both, but im wondering weather it will improve really work horsepower or drivability. Lots of stuff looks good on paper, but not everything really makes a difference. What do you think? would one of those setups noticably change the way my car performs? And is it worth giving up the sound, or lack there of, of my engine during idle and low rpms. Would you think it would make the car run louder during idle. Im really affraid that if i play with my intake or exhaust my cars gonna sound like a cheap 90s or 80s honda civic, which r favorites for people to make sound like shit. :evil:

Last edited by kevinlj182 on Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

I LIVE FOR LIFE
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:48 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

Hey,
Welcome to the forum...again... :lol:

Good to have another intrigue owner on the board.

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:57 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

You should swap out that V6 with a 455. :D

j/k, you like the way the stock radio sounds? Ever thought of a little sub in the trunk?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:15 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Hi kevinlj182, everyone,

Welcome to TOC.

Quote:
........ I've been readin about "short ram intakes" and i dont really truelly understand it ........

http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory.aspx?CategoryID=29

One of my accounts, on my last job. As you can see by the claimed HP increases, they don't pass along the usual sales BS.

kevinlj182 wrote:
........ would one of those setups noticably change the way my car performs? ........

Most of the "improvement" will be due to the placebo effect, caused by the increased noise.

Quote:
........ Would you think it would make the car run louder during idle ........

There should be no sound change at idle. It should only get louder as RPM/engine loads increase.

Norm

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:44 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

GraveReaper0 wrote:
You should swap out that V6 with a 455 ........

Excessive costs and the other negatives aside, Such a replacement would show little, if any, performance improvement over the existing V6. But that would be another topic.

GraveReaper0 wrote:
........ Ever thought of a little sub in the trunk?

If/when, he decides to seek information in that area, I am sure he will post his questions here, which, by coincidence, would also be a different topic.

Norm

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:52 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome...

I can tell we all have strong oppinions, tho, coincidently so do I! :lol:

Im relishing all your guys knowledge so keep it coming... And for those of us who are extremely anal, I'll post new topics in other forums. So if your not welcoming me to the flock here, find the correct topic, or feel the wrathe ( think i misspelled that )

Quote:
If/when, he decides to seek information in that area, I am sure he will post his questions here, which, by coincidence, would also be a different topic.

Norm

and to norm;who's making sure we do things by the book, i didn't quiet find any pertinent info on that site you gave me about ram intakes, actually it didn't have any info relating to olds, but what do i know.
:?:

I LIVE FOR LIFE
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:04 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

kevinlj182 wrote:
........ and to norm;who's making sure we do things by the book ........

Read it again. My comment was not directed at, and had nothing to do with, you. That is the reason I used separate posts.

Quote:
........ i didn't quiet find any pertinent info on that site you gave me about ram intakes ........

A comparison between CAI and "short ram" does not pertain to your statement?

88 Coupe wrote:
Quote:
........ I've been readin about "short ram intakes" and i dont really truelly understand it ........

http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory.aspx?CategoryID=29

I thought it was a logical place to start.

kevinlj182 wrote:
........ it didn't have any info relating to olds ........

Was there anything about Olds, in the statement I responded to?

Profile Personal album  

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]