It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:04 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Hey everyone,
My name is Seth. I am a community organizer & graduate from the law school pretty soon.

So, here's my story. I wrecked my first car 88' Ford Tempo with no dashboard and highly limited.... everything. Since then I haven't been in an accident I caused or even nudged a car in 300k of driving or so.

My Honda was stolen by the dealership, my 4Runner totaled by one without insurance who thought I was an off ramp (head on - he tricked me by doing it at last second).

I drive an 2004 Audi A4 that I got out of a handy insurance settlement. Since it has safety features I am trying to teach my girl how to operate a manual. My clutch is going strong at 100k, but I fear that'll soon be done....

To the OLDS:

1990 Delta 88 Royale.
I just picked it up last week, and I am throwing down on it pretty good. Here's a few early observations.

-130k Miles
-Can't feel it shift - smooth as can be.
-Replacing front brake pads Friday & getting checkup.
-No leaks; no rust. Just swapped all fluids/oil change except power steer & I'm on that.
-Ordered a 2-way paging fancy-pants car alarm/remote start w/ strobe
-Ordered face fitting for CD install (Still has factory tape deck.)
-Ordered 3.5" Infinity Kappas for the front... (No factory door slot?! - may add kick/rears or console speaker, depending on sound...)
-Received kenwood stereo - DVD/5.1 dolby very nice w/ iPod charger/connect/GPS/touchscreen/ETC
-Received 12" sony laptop that is going in custom fiberglass mount up front

What car needs:
-STRUTS: They are so bad, but safe enough for a bit. Got a friend that installs on the cheap, so won't be too long.
-PAINT: dude before me spray painted my dk blue car flat black, I've stripped 90% of it & I have a hookup on paint if I get it straight and primed. Front driver panel has the only dent left to fix. Going either a lighter blue or a crazy purple...I have blue vinyl top.
-HEADLINER: I am still considering which one I will get based on looks, and I'll have some extra fabric for covering some door components. There's a LV/Gucci knockoff place here that I might find a decent blue at.
-O2 Sensor: That is just a nuisance, I need to make the check engine light go off at least.
-SUBS: I am wiring some 4ga wire when I setup the alarm, and I have an Alpine Type R 12" that I will drop in to test and deaden sound/rattles. I'll probably wait a bit for a bargain though before purchasing a set for this. May custom the fiberglass, depends on life.
-COLD AIR - Just because. Doesn't really need, but easy. Also I'll go ahead with the K&N Filter.
-Will need to upgrade electricals if planning on running laptop and SUB I bet. I'll play with currency draw to see what's up.
-TINT: 25% all the way around with a bit of mirror.

Will post pics as soon as I get some installs or paint done. Kinda want to do seat covers if I can get ones that fit well. My girl can't reach the gas pedal, so with covers she'd be able to use some sort of stupid pillow stuffed in them - she's short. May change pedal alternatively for same reason.

Anyways, the Olds is in good shape but needs some TLC. I'll be reading these forums for anything I get confused on.

-PZ/seth

Got my 88' in Feb. 09', I have a serious project. Good mechanical shape, but it needs a LOT of love. So far I've gotten rid of the spray paint previous owner used on it, fixed up the dome light (for alarm), and everyday something new.

Projects: Sound, Paint, Front Brake Pads, Headliner, Detailing. =)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:21 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Sounds like a really nice Olds. Post some photos love to see the before and after, would love to look it over and enjoy almost as much as you do. Those big oldsmobiles just cry for our beautiful English back roads--- Andy

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:40 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Hey slbowman.

I have the same model and year, but mines a brougham edition. Not sure what the differences are.

It's a good car though, I always see lots of 88's right around the 1990 mark that are still running strong.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:42 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Welcome.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]