It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: new Olds fanatic
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:40 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

New to your site...found while looking for info on-line. Bought a 1969 2-dr.post coupe: red on red,buckets,AC,4-spd.,400cid V8,numbers matching out of Virginia in Dec/08. I live near Toronto,Canada and have joined the Olds Club of Canada. Also get a ton of great help from the 442.com website. Other than replacing the driver side floor pan [I'm real picky and it had some pinholes] and fixing some rear windshield issues[ see Forum-appearance],it's ready to go as it has only 20,000 on it since a frame on resto. and engine rebuild. Other than carpets, the interior is original. I want to make this a summer driver so we'll keep it as original as possible [tho' power brake conversion on a car this powerful ],sounds like a practical upgrade! As new kid on the block I'de welcome any and all input from veteran Olds fans. Keep in touch, Dr.D.S. Nesdoly

Post subject: Re: new Olds fanatic
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:22 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Hi derek,

Welcome to TOC.

Quote:
........ I'd welcome any and all input ........

OK.

Quote:
........ 2-dr.post coupe ........

By definition, a coupe has 2 doors. "Sport Coupe" is "Olds speak" for yours, as opposed to "Holiday" for a coupe (or sedan) without "posts".

Quote:
........ numbers matching ........

VIN derivatives, on the engine and trans, that match the actual VIN are evidence that they are original. Good thing for a "collector" to have.

Quote:
........ tho' power brake conversion on a car this powerful, sounds like a practical upgrade! ........

I don't know if the addition of 50 lbs, of unsprung weight, on the front should be called an "upgrade". Since it already has AC, you might as well add PS also.

Post pix when you can.

Norm

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:13 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

didn't take long to get feedback....thanks.As I said ,new kid, so appreciate being taught the Olds jargon. Haven't driven a standard brake car for 35 years, but was reminded by some oldtimers of "asses and eyeballs, when trying to stop behind a new car that decides at the last minute to brake at a yellow light!Not sure about the comments at the bottom of the screen[Buick somebody] saying they can prove "this is B.S." Does this refer/apply to me?Quite the welcome to yoursite if so!My VIN is 344779M424109 and cowl tag: 33677LAN424259. Oil dipstick# matches as does block [396 026 G ] Not really here to justify my car so much as to learn from other Olds owners. Hope to here some constructive comments as we go....Derek.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:02 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Quote:
Not sure about the comments at the bottom of the screen[Buick somebody] saying they can prove "this is B.S."

That is his "Signature".

You have one too, in the Profile menu.

You can put whatever you want in it, and it appears at the bottom of every message you put up.

See below, mine describes my car, it's upgrades, and it's novelty items. :woohoo:

K&N filters
Dual 600 watt amplifier
2x 12" MTX Jackhammer subwoofers
25" I-INC flatpanel display
Xbox 360 gaming system
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:17 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

thanks for the clarifying info Darkfox...maybe you can help me from making too much of an ass of myself! Nearly computer illiterate,so I find all this a bit overwhelming,which is amazing considering the surgical procedures I've done over the last 28 years. I'll enlist my kids help in getting some pics on line. I have found just a huge amount of helpful info here and on the realolds site..are they run by the same people?442.com doesn't seem quite as user friendly,tho' did get 2 excellent contacts that have helped point me in the right direction....Derek

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:49 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

derek wrote:
........ was reminded by some old timers of "asses and eyeballs, when trying to stop behind a new car that decides at the last minute to brake at a yellow light ........

Easier, on the ego, to blame the brakes than to admit one had his head up his azz.

derek wrote:
........ Hope to hear some constructive comments ........

Here is a start:

derek wrote:
........ Also get a ton of great help from the 442.com website ........

The information was culled from a single "mailing list" and edited to fit the "442.com" format. It was not "edited" for accuracy.

Most, in the Olds community, are aware of the errors and have been attempting to get them corrected. The site owner has not responded during the last 10 years, or so. Hence the following link: http://www.oldsmobilewiki.com/index.php/Main_Page

Jason at Oldsmobile Wiki wrote:
........ After seeing so much information in all sorts of different places regarding Oldsmobiles, and some outdated sites, I decided to create a wiki and compile the information into one central location... And allow users to sign up and actually edit the information for accuracy and comments, a wiki format is perfect for this type of collaboration of information ........

Unlike other "wiki" sites, most of its contributors, and all of its overseers, are among the most knowledgeable Olds people in the world.

Corrections are being made, but they will take time to complete.

derek wrote:
........ maybe you can help me from making too much of an ass of myself ........

Just make sure you read what the author wrote (not what you think he/she may have meant) before you respond.

Other than that, treat it as a "face to face" conversation.

Norm

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:57 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Wow, no love lost between the two websites! 88 coupe :my self-deprecating comment was not an admission of misinterpretation of someone's feedback, rather of my ignorance of this site's web design/format [ only joined last week] Ironically, it was a 442.com contact who directed me to The Oldsmobile Connection, as he had found it had so much more useable info. So I'm to understand that power brakes offer NO rapid stopping advantage over standards, as long as my head is not "up my azz"? I have an artificial right knee but size 15 feet...will that combo allow enough pedal stomp? Opinions? Derek

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:04 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

derek wrote:
Wow, no love lost between the two websites ….....

Do you know something that the rest of us are not aware of?

derek wrote:
…..... my self-deprecating comment was not an admission of misinterpretation of someone's feedback ….....

No one said it was. Did you read something into my post, that I did not write?

88 Coupe wrote:
derek wrote:
…..... was reminded by some old timers of "asses and eyeballs, when trying to stop behind a new car that decides at the last minute to brake at a yellow light ........
…..... Easier, on the ego, to blame the brakes than to admit one had his head up his azz ….....

A simple statement followed by a related comment.

derek wrote:
…..... So I'm to understand that power brakes offer NO rapid stopping advantage over standards, as long as my head is not "up my azz"? ….....

How is this related to the above statement and comment? Did you read something into my statement, that I did not write?

derek wrote:
…..... I have an artificial right knee but size 15 feet...will that combo allow enough pedal stomp? ….....

Is this a “trick”question?

Norm

Profile Personal album  

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]