It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:23 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

My interest regarding Oldsmobile history is centered on the year of 1949. The
models I remember are the 98, 88 and 76. Types included two and four door sedans, convertibles and station wagons. The 98 and 88 were powered by a
new type of "Rocket" V-8 engine designed by Kettering. The less expensive 76 had the lower powered in-line six. The body lines of all but the station wagon were simple and clean. All in all, a very attractive line up of models.

The one thing that puzzled me was the exterior trunk design of the 98 convertible of which my dad owned. The car by the way was robins egg blue
with a black cloth top. The enterior was of about the same shade of blue, blue leatherette/cloth seats and a light gray instrument panel/dash board. Oh yes,
electric powred windows. Heady stuff in those days. But back to my puzzlement. Most '49 98 convertibles I saw on the roads including ours had a trunk with somewhat of a nicely rounded back end while others had trunks
that ended in a sharper backside. If someone has any information regarding the
differences I would very much like to see your comments here on this message board.

Thanks very much.

Doug Vernon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:07 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Hi Doug Vernon,

Welcome to TOC.

Quote:
My interest regarding Oldsmobile history is centered on the year of 1949. The models I remember are the 98, 88 and 76 ........

98 used the "C" body (platform) as did Buick and Cadillac.

76 and 88 (same car except for the engine/trans) shared the "A" body with Chevrolet and Pontiac.

Quote:
........ The 98 and 88 were powered by a new type of "Rocket" V-8 engine designed by Kettering ........

"Rocket" was a sales promotion designed to keep the public from confusing the 303 inch Olds with the 331 inch Cad.

Other than the hydraulic valve lifters, there was nothing new or innovative. Basically a baby Cadillac.

Unlikely the head of R&D would be micro managing design engineers in a different department.

Quote:
........ The less expensive 76 had the lower powered in-line six ........

Same flathead six used since 1928. Originally scheduled to be replaced by the 303 in '51.

Quote:
........ Most '49 98 convertibles I saw on the roads including ours had a trunk with somewhat of a nicely rounded back end while others had trunks that ended in a sharper backside ........

Top is a '48, bottom is a '49.

Norm

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:26 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Hello 88 Coupe, and thanks for replying to my comments regarding the 1949 Oldsmobile 98 convertible my family had. Also a big thanks for showing me the photos of the 1949 88 and 98 convertibles. They look really good. May I ask if they are your cars? The 98 is almost exactly like our family car with
the exception of the interior and exterior colors. Our car was Robins Egg Blue. Also about the shape of the rear decking and truck lid. The 98 photograph shows the exact shape as ours...slightly sloping and rounded at the downturn of the rear end of the truck lid. Other '49's, very few of them had a sharper downturn at the end of the truck...more squared off than the photo shows and our 98. I know I'm not making this very clear...and this subject is the most important to me. I don't understamd the reasoning surrounding the aft body change. As I said the majority of all these types
had the same rear end shape as our car. If anyone can relay information to me regarding this nagging subject I would really appreciate the effort.

Best,
Doug Vernon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:46 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Doug Vernon wrote:
........ thanks for showing me the photos of the 1949 88 and 98 ........

Both are 98s. The top one is a '48.

Doug Vernon wrote:
........ May I ask if they are your cars? ........

Not mine. Culled from "Google images" to show the differences between the '48 and '49 trunk lids.

Doug Vernon wrote:
........ I don't understand the reasoning surrounding the aft body change ........

More usable trunk space.

Norm

Profile Personal album  

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]