It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: new from AZ
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:05 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Every board seems to have it's own system regarding where a particular post should go. Rather than search around and put this in the wrong area I will let the moderators move it to the appropriate one. :confused:

Thanks to all in advance for any help you can offer.

New here. I am not an Olds guy.

I inherited an 87 Cutlass with V8. It is pretty much all original with 76K miles. From what my mechanic tells me this car has some kind of odd carb that was a one year only attempt to transition to fuel injection. He said that he went online to research it and they gave him some kind of jury rig fix which he performed. He said the correct thing to do was to replace the carb with an older type, new it is around $600. The problem now is that if the car sits over night you have to pump the accelerator about 50 times before you attempt to crank it and even then if it flutters and if it doesn't catch quickly you have to go back to pumping before cranking again.

Is there a simple fix for this or do I need to find a carb? I don't want to spend a lot of money on this old car. Are used carbs for this application readily available and not generally needing a rebuild for a reasonable price?
I don't want to get into changing intake manifolds either. Just looking for the simplest fix.

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ]