It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:25 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Hello, yesterday I bought a 2001 Aurora, it's beautiful and I fell in love with the car. After returning home, I went online and have learned that many of these cars have had a lot of problems and that they are very expensive to repair. Is that true? Why so expensive? I was offered a service contract but I just cannot afford it right now (I'm on a fixed income). I'm wondering if I can afford this vehicle. Any thoughts?
Thank you. Cathy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:50 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Cathy, I owed a 2001 Aurora V6 from Aug 2007 to March 2011. The car was beautiful to look at but was a disaster to own. They share a lot in common with Cadillac products so the parts and labor are very expensive. I almost always found myself bringing the car to a GM dealership for repairs/etc because the local shops were afraid of Auroras. My sunroof leaked badly when it rained, the windshield wipers didn't want to work in the rain, the gas and oil pressure gauges stopped working, the abs didn't work right, the trunk filled up with water when it rained, mostly in the spare tire well....badly rusting the spare tire's rim. I had transmission trouble that wasn't fixed after a $1544.00 repair bill, a highway shake I couldn't get fixed, and a check engine light that wouldn't go away. To quote an Aurora owner I met on day at a Wendy's "Man, if it ain't on thing its another with this car." In the end, mine stalled on a snowy night back in December and failed to ever restart again. Whatever went that night killed the battery in about 25 minutes. I sold the car in March for $700 to a guy from Rhode Island/Mass. Hopefully you don't come from that area as it could be my old car!

Good luck.....you're gonna need it- Frank

1985 Olds Cutlass Ciera Brougham Holiday Coupe

1988 Olds Cutlass Ciera International Series Sedan

OCA #037778
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:40 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Frank, thanks for the information, although it is exactly NOT what I wanted to hear. That's very worrisome. I know I don't have your car, I bought it in Lacey Washington where I live. So that's a relief, anyway. It has low miles, so I guess all I can do now is keep my fingers crossed. Does anyone know if I can still buy a service contract, at least for the major repairs which I can hopefully avoid? Yikes. I love this car -- it drives just beautifully and is so very comfortable and good-looking.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:52 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

I used to describe owning that car to people by saying its like being stuck in a bad marriage. To people outside the situation its a beautiful car that rides smoothly and quietly, has every electronic convenience under the sun, and turns heads. To own one means huge repair bills, constant headaches, and searching for a way out. How bad was it? I sold mine and bought a 1988 Oldsmobile since the car not only left me stranded, it left me broke! I spend over $3,000 on repairs/maintenance in 20,000 miles! Mine was dead on the side of the road at 99,000 miles. If you want detailed info on the Aurora look up the Aurora Club of America. I have to warn you, these people are Aurora fanatics but you'll see all the issues they have with their cars.

1985 Olds Cutlass Ciera Brougham Holiday Coupe

1988 Olds Cutlass Ciera International Series Sedan

OCA #037778
 Profile Personal album  

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]