It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Greetings
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:30 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Hello to all motovelocipede enthusaists! i recently(this afternoon) purchased a '97 Olds 88. Now, i may not have the knowledge of older Oldsmobiles, like when the brand had its individuality in the 40's-50's... but am always growing my motoring knowledge.
this is my first time owning an H-Body, and when i first sat in the car, it took me back to my childhood, back in my moms 93 LeSabre Limited. This olds has a certain familiarity about it that i like. It has 144,004 miles, i picked it up for $1500. not too many serious issues i can notice so far. when i first checked it out the gas guage seemed innacurate, but later read steady. Theres also a loud grinding noise when it goes. it gets louder with speed, volume lowers if weight is shifted, it only comes from the passenger front. i suspect wheel bearing. i confirmed the grinding volume/weight shift in a very large parking lot. also, when i press the AC button, it will light up, but the compressor wont engage. where would One start with the AC issue? its really the most important part as i live in Houston. i could have the wheel bearing serviced anytime.

Awesome Time.

Post subject: Re: Greetings
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:52 pm 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

Welcome!

First step for the AC is to check that the belt is turning the compressor pulley properly (its probably fine, but good to check) Next is to check the pressure of the refrigerant in the system. You'll probably have to get a shop to do this, they can check the refrigerant, check for obvious leaks that are letting pressure escape, and if all seems well re-charge it with refrigerant and also add a dye to indicate where the leak is, if the refrigerant happens to leak out again. (which it probably will eventually if it is empty now)

Profile Personal album  

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]