PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:27 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

andrewk wrote:
Hi Norm, DrRansom442, all,

DrRansom442 wrote:
Andrew don't be a Norom please

andrewk wrote:
If you want to call me names, go for it. I have yet to call you a name yet. Please don't be an asshat, we are merely discussing this, no need to makeit personal. (Theres the 1st name from me.)

I haven't called you a name, I just ask you do not act like Norom

DrRansom442 wrote:
1) my assertation of CFI was based on his statement of a possibly 82 Corvette Offy inspired intake

andrewk wrote:
So was your orginal assertation of CFI also that the CFI intake had 2 sets of intake runners consistant with Norm's orginal statement? Or would it be that you didn't read the post and asserted CFI to add something irrelevent to the orginal post, perhaps because you thought CFI was some sort of relation to the topic at hand, which would assert some misinformation on your part? The offy dual port is indeed a VARIATION (read:different enginnering, different execution, but same principle) of the LT5. Now, this "Norom" has done his homework, and this should clarify things a bit. I'll start with a post from Norm, that already clarifys some of your points.

82 Vette + offy, yes OK I jumped to the Crossfire as its the only thing that closely matches those perimeters...as for a "dualport" vette intake we still haven't established this

andrewk wrote:
88Coupe wrote:
Seems the induction system was a bit more modern than a '50s design and I was off a little on the year, so sue me.

Google searches seem to return lots of marketing BS and useless specifications. Substance is hard to find.

I did find a short statement that will help clarify it at: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Fe ... eId=100444

I’m pasting this quote because it’s one of those long articles with little substance.

Norm has corrected himself here. Here is a supporting statement form the National Corvette Museum listserv ( I lost the link, I will try to find it later):

Quote:
From the intake plenum, there were two small runners that went to each cylinder head intake port. I remember reading that the valet mode
closed butterfly valves in one of the two runners to each intake port.
It was probably electro-mechanical.

Further supported by:

Quote:
The secondary throttle blades (Full Power) are controlled by the ECM based on input signals from the throttle position sensor, engine rpm sensor, coolant temperature sensor, and MAP sensor. Unless these parameters are met, the ECM won't allow the vacuum actuator to open the secondaries!

Found on this page: http://listserv.corvettemuseum.com/cgi- ... &S=&P=4025

88Coupe wrote:
They achieved a significant improvement with the use of the computer

I'd say so. This looks pretty simliar to me. Throttle plates in the intake compared to throttle plates on a carb. Signifigant improvement indeed.

OK but this is not how the LT5 operates, there are no primary and secondary butterflies, there is but one throttle body with 2 butterflies sharing the same pivot. the 16 intake plenums supply air constantly to all 16 intake valves, which do not remain closed at any point the engine is running (well atleast without catastrophic results). the "valet mode" is handled by the ECM recalculating spark and fuel delivery. Sort of like GMs electronic speed governors -- once a vehicle hits a certain speed, the timing and fuel are readjusted by the ECM to prevent the vehicle from travelling faster <---easily undone by most power reprogrammers.

DrRansom442 wrote:
3) the dual port isn't a 1950s design either

See above, this is already a moot point, no need to go on about it.

andrewk wrote:
DrRansom442 wrote:
4) I am completely unaware of an OEM offy style dual port vette intake (feel free to point one out)

Since he admits he was off on the year, and considering the above information. I'll point out that the LT5 has a variation of the principle that the Offy dual port used when it was designed and produced.

and when his assertation that the LT5 has secondary and primary runners is flawed?

andrewk wrote:
DrRansom442 wrote:
5) yes I am asking for pictures of a "unicorn" that's my whole point

I dont see your point. I think that you may be wrong here.

moot point but it gets back to my challenging the existance of an OEM dualport Vette intake

andrewk wrote:
DrRansom442 wrote:
now before I go fruther into the dual port debate, let me ask this?

Is anyone aware of a spreadbore mechanical secondary 4 barrel carb?
If so can you please post a picture or atleast tell me make and model of carb ...

I know Carter makes a spread bore mechanical secondary carb, but it still has an air valve so it is more like vac. secondaries.

DrRansom442 wrote:
I will explain the relevency of this

Please do.

the dualport design, I fail to see any need for separate intake runners for the primaries and secondaries, since the intake seems to have a spreadbore vacuum secondary like a Q-jet in mind. What is the purpose? The secondaries don't supply air/fuel unless there IS a demand, that is the whole point of a vacuum operated secondary circuit. It allows a lesser air/fuel charge under low and part throttle for economy and low end. When the engine develops enough demand it opens the secondaries air horn allowing as much air/fuel as the engine can handle (since overall CFM meant a Qjet was larger then most engines it was bolted to could handle). Using runners from the primaries and runners from the secondaries seems not only redundant but detrimental by adding weight and restrictions to the size of the intake ports. I could see this intake used with a mechanical secondary carb but then wouldn't it be a squarebore?

andrewk wrote:
DrRansom442 wrote:
I think we can consider this whole debate wrapped up

I'd say so.

well that's 2 of 3, can we get Norm to agree, is the question

andrewk wrote:
88coupe wrote:
Andrewk: Sorry if I stepped on your toes. I'll kick back and watch.

No problem, no "black toes" here! :blush: (sorry James, hope you are doing ok!)

black toes = bad strut/no steel toed shoes related memory

andrewk wrote:
Andrew

Disclamier** With the exception of the ending carb comment, all my inferences and assertations are based soley on internet research. I, andrewk, have no personal experience with the LT5, the Offenhauser Dual Port Intake, CFI, Corvettes, and the related systems therein. I have made no assertation to influence anyone otherwise.

that's hilarious lol, thought of being a lawyer? Wish I can say I've had my hands on a LT5 myself, but as a certifible Vette nut, I've read just about every article I could get my hands on, so I think I have a good grasp on it ... aside from the number of intake ports and injectors, the FI portion is really just a variant of the TPI.

AS A SIDE NOTE: I dug around and found my copy of the July 05 Corvette Magazine. As I recalled there being articles reguarding the purchase of 84/85 early C4s, while the experts dogged the 84's 205hp/295 ft-lbs versus the 85's 230hp/335 ft-lbs. They did not mention driviblity concerns related directly to the crossfire. So there I admit atleast 3 Vette experts do not share my opinion on Crossfires .. I supposed it all breaksdown to how the car was maintained ... which they so rightly cautioned ANYONE buying a used Vette. So I guess this is sorry Norm for dogging the Crossfire. Though personally IMHO, I think I'd still avoid them. I do know someone that had an 82 and he had issues. He asked if I'd look at it and being familiar with the "urban legends". I told him I'd want no part of it. Bad enough I hate working on carbs, I'm sure Andrew can point you to my dismay over my dualjet on another board (if he hasn't already)

81 Cutlass Calais 260/350 (purchased Nov 04)
never thought I'd say "I miss the power of a 307"
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:47 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

DrRansom442 wrote:
........ So I guess this is sorry Norm for dogging the Crossfire. ........

The meaning of your statement is not clear.

Please repost it as if you were as proficient in the English language as you've claimed to be, both on TOC and on ROP.

Also, please note that my request is for "clarification" of an uncear statement, not "proof" that you might know WTF you are talking about.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:48 pm 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

Hi DrRansom442, all,

I think you are looking too far into the statement of a dual port vette intake. With Norms correction of year, this eludes, at least to me, that he was referencing the LT5 to begin with. If he was, he is saying that intake that the LT5 uses is similar in principle of operation to the Offenhauser Dual Port intake. Now from that description of the statement, i dont know whether that is right or wrong, or if correctness is even relevant at this point.

DrRansom442 wrote:
OK but this is not how the LT5 operates, there are no primary and secondary butterflies, there is but one throttle body with 2 butterflies sharing the same pivot. the 16 intake plenums supply air constantly to all 16 intake valves, which do not remain closed at any point the engine is running (well atleast without catastrophic results). the "valet mode" is handled by the ECM recalculating spark and fuel delivery. Sort of like GMs electronic speed governors -- once a vehicle hits a certain speed, the timing and fuel are readjusted by the ECM to prevent the vehicle from travelling faster <---easily undone by most power reprogrammers.

Not really disputing you, but doesn't my research say otherwise? Do you have any resources to share that better explain this?

DrRansom442 wrote:
the dualport design, I fail to see any need for separate intake runners for the primaries and secondaries, since the intake seems to have a spreadbore vacuum secondary like a Q-jet in mind. What is the purpose? The secondaries don't supply air/fuel unless there IS a demand, that is the whole point of a vacuum operated secondary circuit. It allows a lesser air/fuel charge under low and part throttle for economy and low end. When the engine develops enough demand it opens the secondaries air horn allowing as much air/fuel as the engine can handle (since overall CFM meant a Qjet was larger then most engines it was bolted to could handle). Using runners from the primaries and runners from the secondaries seems not only redundant but detrimental by adding weight and restrictions to the size of the intake ports. I could see this intake used with a mechanical secondary carb but then wouldn't it be a squarebore?

Very good point. I must agree with that, based upon my knowlege... Maybe that explains why the Dual Port never really caught on... Is it offered in a squarebore configuration perhaps?

In regards to your dualjet situation... I read that thread... All I can say is Im glad it wasnt me! :lol: I have been in that situation before, piecing things together like that, but what a PIA.

Andrew

Mark Twain wrote:
A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation.
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:22 pm 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

Hi DrRansom442, all

After more thinking on the subject and more research, I have a couple comments regarding DrRansom442's latest posting, seen here:

DrRansom442 wrote:

The Offenhauser Dual Port is in fact available with both the square and spread bore designs at www.summit.com. It is also available in a 2bbl format. I dont think it matters if it is a spread or square bore here, and Ill explain why as I type this up.

First off, in my line of thinking, I would assume that a company such as Offenhauser would put a fair amount of R&D into a product before mass producing it. Since it is still being made and purchased, there must be some sort of draw, right? I think that you make a fair point regarding how a spreadbore vac. secondary carb works, but I think you are missing how the Dual Port works.

Its not about the "demand" for more fuel and air, that is the job of the carb, as you explained. Its all about volume and velocity.

A carb is great for metering fuel/air, but you have to have good volume and good velocity in order to really make an engine work, right? That key is what the Dual Port must improve in order to make a marketable, and profitable intake.

In any intake, if you have a small runner, it will have the velocity to efficiently feed a cylinder at lower RPM, but it won't support the volume needed to feed it higher up, right?

Likewise, in any given intake, if you have a large runner, it will feed that cylinder at high RPM, but will lack the needed velocity at low RPM, right?

Here's the gimmick with the Dual Port. If you use two runners, each half the size of that larger one, you'll have both velocity on the bottom end and volume on top end, resulting in a wider power band, also correct?

And, if you close the secondary runner when it's not used, the difference will be more dramatic, as the change will "unleash" that much more intake runner surface area.

So I think that this isnt a redundant design, but a good one, and it makes sense to me why Offenhauser still makes, and still sells this intake.

Now that this is handled, I am going back to do more LT5 research, since we are at odds on that.

Andrew

*See above for disclaimer... :wink:

Mark Twain wrote:
A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation.
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:54 pm 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

Hi DrRansom442, Norm, James, Brando, all,

I believe that I can clear up some of the misinformation regarding the LT5.

After digging through the ZR1 net registry I found further proof of my first post regarding the secondary throttle butterflies.

ZR1netregistry wrote:
There are two intake ports and two exhaust ports per cylinder. Intakes are individual but subdivided into primary (front) and secondary (rear) ports. The secondaries are all slightly larger in diameter and each contains an auxiliary throttle plate. The exhaust ports are all the same diameter, are individual for most of their lengths but pair-up just at the port exit. The four camshafts ride on bearing surfaces machined in the head and are retained by the cam covers. Each cam has two different intake profiles, mild (252°) for the primary valves and aggressive (272°) for the "secondary" units. All exhaust durations are identical (252°) and valve lift of all lobes is the same (.390"). Direct-acting hydraulic lifters work the valves and dual valve springs are used.

Now, DrRansom442 mentioned "catostrophic results" if half the intake ports were to be "shut off" via a aux. throttle plate... My question to this is, why would there be catostrophic results? Here's that quote:

DrRansom442 wrote:
OK but this is not how the LT5 operates, there are no primary and secondary butterflies, there is but one throttle body with 2 butterflies sharing the same pivot. the 16 intake plenums supply air constantly to all 16 intake valves, which do not remain closed at any point the engine is running (well atleast without catastrophic results). the "valet mode" is handled by the ECM recalculating spark and fuel delivery.

ZR1netregistry wrote:
The induction system is described as "three-phase" and looks like a sci-fi version of the tuned port injection we've known since 1985. There are three throttle bores, 16 runners and 16 Multech injectors. The smallest throttle plate, 22mm, supplies air at idle and very low speeds. Next, the two main throttle bores, 59mm each, open. Below half-throttle and 3500 rpm, the engine runs with the auxiliary throttle plates in the secondary ports closed and on eight of the injectors.

Once the driver gets his boot into a LT5 V8, things begin to happen. When both 3500 rpm and 1/2 throttle are exceeded, the auxiliary throttle plates pop open and the second set of injectors come on line. The extra punch of the secondaries is further augmented by their more aggressive intake valve timing. This three-phase TPI maintains high intake flow velocity and turbulence along with tight control of air/fuel ratio over a wide range of engine speeds. The result of this is a flat torque-curve and that, along with digital engine controls, is responsible for the engine meeting Schaafsma's goal of smooth down low and real nasty on the top end.

Hmm... smooth down low with the top end to boot? Sounds like what the Offenhauser Dual Port did with a carb. I would say that it is safe to say that this is a variation of the Dual Port. Not to say that the designers sat down and said "lets make a one off of the dual port", but that the two are similar in operation. Same principle, different execution. DrRansom is correct in that the ECM does recalculate fuel delivery and spark to compensate for the valet mode. However, it recalculates these not to execute the valet mode, that is done by shutting the aux. throttle plates.

88Coupe wrote:
They achieved a significant improvement with the use of the computer

Indeed.

ZR1netregistry wrote:
A most interesting feature of the LT5 TPI is the power key, or "valet switch" mounted inside the car. Turning it off, disables the secondaries and protects Its Royal Highness from the abuses of valet parking services, children trying to impress their peers or detail shops who aggressively "road test" each job.

Further proof of my initial statement/research.

In summary, here are the similarities between the LT5 and the Offenhauser Dual Port.

1) 16 intake runners, with 8 of them being primary, and 8 being secondary. The difference of the number of intake valves is irrelevant. The other difference is that the LT5 uses aux. throttle plates, while the Dual Port does not.

2)Creating a wider powerband. Both intakes provide velocity at low rpm backed up with good volume in the upper rpm.

They look different, and the operate differently, but the principle of operation is still the same in both cases.

Now, lets stick a fork in this mother... she's done.

Andrew

Works Cited:

http://www.zr1netregistry.com/LT5tech.htm

http://www.zr1netregistry.com/firstking.htm

Mark Twain wrote:
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:12 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

andrewk wrote:
........ After more thinking on the subject and more research, I have a couple comments regarding DrRansom442's latest posting, seen here: ........

Well Done!!!

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:29 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

andrewk wrote:
I believe that I can clear up some of the misinformation regarding the LT5........

Again, Well done.

A lot more information than I had when I first posted this:
88 Coupe wrote:
........ Earlier (possibly '82) Corvettes used a manifold with two runners to each intake port. One was used for normal driving, both for max power. It was a variation of an early '50s street/strip design by Offenhauser. They achieved a significant improvement with the use of the computer ........

Which, BTW, was the extent of my knowledge of the Corvette I referred to.

It's surprising how much knowledge everyone gains when one discusses the topic, and the information from ones source.

Norm

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:43 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Unless DrRansom442 objects, we have one down and three to go.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:19 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

.... and the crickets go .... chirp .... chirp .... chirp .... chirp .... chirp .... chirp .... chirp .... chirp ....

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:54 pm 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

88 Coupe wrote:
Unless DrRansom442 objects, we have one down and three to go.

DrRansom? Anything?

Mark Twain wrote:
 Profile Personal album  

Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3