It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 3 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:35 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Brando wrote:
........ the key that goes on the shaft for the collar holding the pins is discontinued ........

The key fits in the keyways on the shaft and collar.

Keys, or key stock (you cut it to length), can be had at any "real" hardware store or, if not at your local auto parts supplier.

Norm

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:17 am 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

We keep several sizes on hand at all times. Making a key is just about as easy as going to the parts bin to get one out of the box- Cheaper for the shop that way too.

Mark Twain wrote:
A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation.
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:07 am 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

The snow blower has been modified...
The 5HP Tecumseh engine was getting old and tired, was having trouble with it under heavy load.
I was looking online at some Tecumseh snow king engines, but Tecumseh has been out of business for a while, so I looked at some B&S engines. Then I came across a 6.5HP engine on Harbor Freight's web site...it had 154 reviews, all of them looked pretty good too.
Come to find out it's actually a clone of the Honda GX200...people are putting these on Go Karts and racing with them....roller rockers, exhaust pipes, bigger carburetors, custom camshafts....you name it, this engine has parts for it.
Example: http://www.nr-racing.com/raceparts.htm

Anyways, I was sold....went to harbor freight and picked one up.
I had also recently bought a Hobart Handler 140 MIG welder, which came in handy.
Example:
On the left is "custom" handle brace to go over the muffler, and on the right is the "custom" handle to go around the carburetor... :lol:
Used my new HH140, came with flux core wire....which I have never used before, only solid with Argon/CO2. The results were not pretty...but solid. Primed and painted flat black, waiting for it to cure.

No pics of the engine yet, but it went smoothly. Mounting bolt locations were exactly the same as the Tecumseh HS50, just needed new bolts for the side cover (metric). Engine runs beautifully.....the exhaust is much cleaner than the Tecumseh...burns real clean and runs quiet.

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:44 am 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

Alright, here's the pictures of the beast, got the handle bars/brace on last night, as there was forecast for 1-3 inches of snow today, but now it is 3-7 inches.

Pay no attention to the cheap broken vise in the top left corner, I have a Wilton now... 8-)

Was worried I wouldn't get to try it out as we had a bit of a warm spell, but I tried it out tonight and it chugs right along. Although I did break a bolt that holds the impeller drive sprocket on the shaft....third time I've broken that one, need to get a steel spring pin to drive in there instead. Other than that, I also need to MAKE a brake pad for the impeller clutch, it is worn out. There's another brake pad that I replaced (worn out and breaking belts), but I was able to purchase that one as well as the rivets. This one is obsolete.....so I'll be making it with the help of McMaster-Carr.

I took the tire chains off as it was really rough on the machine.

I also have a Honda flywheel/lighting coils on the way, as well as a 50W ATV spot light to put on the blower. I was thinking of doing an electric chute control as well, but I took the chute off and greased it up real good, smooth as butter. Greased the chains up, aligned the belt pulleys, turned the recoil to place the handle in back instead of the front, put a few washers here and there to space things..."there was no doubt in my mind I was in a superior machine."

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:32 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

Drove a 1/4" steel roll pin in place of the 1/4-20 bolt....now the sprocket doesn't have any torsional play on the shaft. :thumbup:
Gave it the ultimate test.....driveway plow leftovers.
Needs new tires in place of the old turf tires, but it didn't break anything......yet. :lol:
Pretty soon everything will be custom made on this thing... #-o

The tires are solid rubber on special wheels with a spacer built in....gonna be a custom job there too!! :-k

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:59 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

Saying 2-4 inches of snow tonight..... :rock:

LOL...I'm actually excited.

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

Page 3 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3