TOC Member
TOC Member

more gas to the fire

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:42 pm 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

Does it hurt to burn yourself?

Mark Twain wrote:
A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation.
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:47 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

lol...... uh hurt myslef? i missed the punchline on that one but i get the point you might be trying to make.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:13 pm 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

91parkave wrote:
lol...... uh hurt myslef? i missed the punchline on that one but i get the point you might be trying to make.

Then you probably didn't miss the punchline.

Mark Twain wrote:
A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation.
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:16 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

valley olds wrote:
88 Coupe wrote:
Do us all a favor, and limit your posts, on TOC, to factual statements.
I think you might want to consider that suggestion yourself
88 Coupe wrote:
Another excellent example of a BS statement
I see you still can't follow your own advice because what you wrote there is an opinion

You are still missing the point of a 'discussion" board.

It has little to do with following anyones advice, and everything to do with the flow of factual information. Part of that process, is to recognize all information that is less than fact, and "flag" it for what is. The rules of netiquette, I passed on to you, are a simple tool to help achieve that end.

Visitors/members at TOC expect, and are entitled to, the highest quality Olds information/discussion on the internet. Misinformation and immature/off topic/BS posts, such as yours, have the opposite effect.

For example: In this case, my "opinion" is fact. It is based on the statement you made in your first post.

Here it is again:

valley olds wrote:
........ With 7A heads it is actually not a good idea to add aftermarket intake or headers because of port mismatch ........

Do you want to defend it, or do you want to play childish games?

Then, there is this one:

88 Coupe wrote:
valley olds wrote:
........ Ususally when someone speaks sarcastically (to make someone else look stupid) they answer to a question or statement in question form.
How do you read sarcasm/hostility/arrogance/etc, into a statement where it does not exist?

Your childish finger pointing, is a poor substitute for your refusal to defend your own statement.

Norm

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:58 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

look, I dont know much about porting but I do know most people on most forums and websites say to replace the 7a heads with 5a heads. Never had I seen the suggestion of porting 7a heads. If you do install an aftermarket intake on 7a heads there will be turbulence between the intake and the heads and you will lose power. At least thats what ive seen in other web sites and forums. Also, what I do know is that if you are not going to help, you should not post anything at all. If you don't help, someone else will (kind of like I tried to help the 307 post). A thread can survive without your remarks.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:43 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

valley olds wrote:
look, I don't know much about porting ........

Porting is a different topic. If you would like to discuss it, you can start a new thread in the proper forum.

valley olds wrote:
........ but I do know most people on most forums and websites say to replace the 7a heads with 5a heads .........

That would only be one way to do it, but the choice would depend on the OPs goal. Part of that choice would involve the different combustion chamber sizes and his/her desired static compression ratio. That, in turn, would depend on its anticipated driving conditions.

Did the OP ask about changing heads or express a willingness to do so? For that matter, did he/she give us any of the requested information?

Why would you present solutions (bogus or not) without knowing the nature of the problem?

valley olds wrote:
........ Never had I seen the suggestion of porting 7a heads ........

Never had you seen a 10 second 307, either. What is your point?

valley olds wrote:
........ there will be turbulence between the intake and the heads and you will lose power .........

Assuming, there actually is turbulence at a negative pressure, how is it created?

How much is created? Enough to offset the gains from the manifold itself?

How much net gain/loss should I expect, if I made such a change in my 307?

valley olds wrote:
........ At least thats what I've seen in other web sites and forums ........

Because you read/saw “it” on the Internet, does that make it fact? Or are you even interested in factual information?

Now,for the childish part:

valley olds wrote:
........ what I do know is that if you are not going to help, you should not post anything at all ........

How is someone correcting your misinformed posts, not helpful?

valley olds wrote:
........ (kind of like I tried to help the 307 post) ........

How is the following, not factual/helpful? http://www.oldsconnection.com/forum/vie ... 0424#20424

In particular, the following:

88 Coupe wrote:
Unless we know your goal, expectations, and intended use, along with your budget/skill/experience level, any further advice is pointless.

Not clear enough?

valley olds wrote:
........ With 7A heads it is actually not a good idea to add aftermarket intake or headers because of port mismatch ........

Again, it depends who you are talking to. I will elaborate:

Looks like it would be true, if one were talking to valley olds. Might not be so true, if one were talking to a guy who has actually done both.

valley olds wrote:
........ A thread can survive without your remarks.

Already covered, in my previous post.

Here it is, again:

88 Coupe wrote:
Visitors/members at TOC expect, and are entitled to, the highest quality Olds information/discussion on the Internet. Misinformation and immature/off topic/BS posts, such as yours, have the opposite effect.

And you do not seem to care whether it survives as truth or fiction, as long as you win your childish arguments.

Norm

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:47 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

88 Coupe said: Porting is a different topic. If you would like to discuss it, you can start a new thread in the proper forum

You are the one that brought up port matching when I mentioned the port mismatch between the Intake manifold and the head.

88 Coupe wrote: Why would you present solutions (bogus or not) without knowing the nature of the problem?

The reason is that if the solution is not helpful to the person that started the thread it might be helpful to other people for which that may be the solution. If the adcive is not helpful to the person that started the thread then too bad, they werent specific, but you tried to do your part and maybe in turn helped other people.

88 Coupe wrote: Never had you seen a 10 second 307, either. What is your point?

Do you know, for a fact, if that 10 second 307 had 5a heads or 7a heads? Just asking because the peson that started the thread asked about 7a heads.

Coupe 88 wrote: Assuming, there actually is turbulence at a negative pressure, how is it created

Turbulence is created when the air fuel mixture goes in through the large ports of the intake manifold into the small ports of the head. Since the ports in the head are smaller, the air on the sides of the ports of the intake will hit against the head thus causing turbulence. As for power gain/loss I dont know. I do know that there will be turbulence, and that in order to make power you need a smooth transition of air into and out of the engine.

88 Coupe wrote: Because you read/saw “it” on the Internet, does that make it fact? Or are you even interested in factual information?

I am interested in factual information, that is why I look at forums where other people talk about what they know and have experienced (such as the response big block olds gave to the electric fans thread).

88 Coupe wrote: How is someone correcting your misinformed posts, not helpful?

Well, if the corrections are good, it is helpful, but if you just look at the surface of something (such as the website link I had posted) and catch one mistake to shoot it down then that really aint helpful. Had you even bothered to look at the rest of the website?

88 Coupe Wrote: How is the following, not factual/helpful? http://www.oldsconnection.com/forum/vie ... 0424#20424

That may have been factual, but the person that started the thread was not asking about the purpose GM had for the 307, or if it would be a good idea to get a larger version of the same engine, he had asked for more power from the 307, and nowhere in that post did I see a suggestion from you to make power on the 307.

88 Coupe wrote: Unless we know your goal, expectations, and intended use, along with your budget/skill/experience level, any further advice is pointless.

That sentence would have been okay if you had actually posted any valid advice.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:02 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

valley olds wrote:
88 coupe wrote:
Porting is a different topic.
You are the one that brought up port matching ........

“Porting” and “port matching” are two different operations, and are, therefore, two different topics.

valley olds wrote:
88 coupe wrote:
Why would you present solutions (bogus or not) without knowing the nature of the problem?
The reason is that if the solution is not helpful to the person that started the thread it might be helpful to other people ........

OK. You posted a load of off topic BS, hoping that it would help someone other than the OP. That tells us, it is not about the OP. It is about someone else, who might possibly have the same, or a similar, question/problem.

Sounds like one of those forums where the fiction is found.

valley olds wrote:
........ If the advice is not helpful to the person that started the thread then too bad ........

Yeah, thats it. Give them a load of BS. Serves them right for expecting a straight answer to a straight question.

valley olds wrote:
........ they weren't specific ........

Yeah, thats it. Give them a load of BS instead of asking for clarification. That'll show them.

valley olds wrote:
88 coupe wrote:
........ Never had you seen a 10 second 307, either. What is your point?
Do you know, for a fact, if that 10 second 307 had 5a heads or 7a heads? ........

Is your question a smokescreen to avoid answering mine? To answer yours: Yes, I do.

Now. What was your point?

valley olds wrote:
88 coupe wrote:
Assuming, there actually is turbulence at a negative pressure, how is it created
........ the air on the sides of the ports of the intake will hit against the head thus causing turbulence .........

Still assuming, there actually is turbulence at a negative pressure. How much of the head is exposed, and how much turbulence is involved?

valley olds wrote:
As for power gain/loss I dont know ........

So, you advise against using that manifold, but you do not know why. We can talk about the mismatched headers, later.

valley olds wrote:
........ and that in order to make power you need a smooth transition of air into and out of the engine .........

Yes. That is common knowledge. How does it apply to the possible gains/losses I might expect when using that particular manifold, with my 7a heads, on my 307?

valley olds wrote:
that is why I look at forums where other people talk about what they know and have experienced ........

These/those forums are notorious for their misinformation. How does one separate the fact, from the fiction?

valley olds wrote:
........ such as the response big block olds gave to the electric fans thread ........

Different thread, different subject, and different poster. Nothing to do with this discussion.

valley olds wrote:
........ and catch one mistake to shoot it down ........

Read it again. This time, read what is actually there.

88 Coupe wrote:
........ First thing I found, was the following ........

Did I say there was only one error?

valley olds wrote:
........ Had you even bothered to look at the rest of the website? ........

Yes. Several (nine?) years ago, when the author was a regular on all the Olds forums.

valley olds wrote:
........ the person that started the thread was not asking about the purpose GM had for the 307 ........

There was no advice given. What is your point?

valley olds wrote:
........ or if it would be a good idea to get a larger version of the same engine ........

No one said it is, or is not, a good idea.

valley olds wrote:
........ he had asked for more power from the ........

And I gave him the only possible answer. Here it is again:

88 Coupe wrote:
Give us what info you can, and we will go from there.

Which part do you not understand?

valley olds wrote:
........ nowhere in that post did I see a suggestion from you to make power on the 307 ........

That is because, as yet, there is no answer. It is not possible to give directions, without knowing the desired destination.

Without the information I requested, any advice is nothing but BS.

valley olds wrote:
88 Coupe wrote:
Unless we know your goal, expectations, and intended use, along with your budget/skill/experience level, any further advice is pointless.
That sentence would have been okay ........

You have TOC confused with those other forums, you visit.

It was dead on, and it was in post #2. Right where it is supposed to be.

valley olds wrote:
........ if you had actually posted any valid advice.

Here is the rest of it, again:

88 Coupe wrote:
Give us what info you can, and we will go from there.

Until the goal (destination) is defined, the map cannot be drawn.

Norm

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 10:13 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Continuing from:

http://www.oldsconnection.com/forum/vie ... 4085#24085
and/or
http://www.oldsconnection.com/forum/vie ... 4094#24094

91buickman wrote:
........ I have plenty of basis on which i call you a B.S artist, PM me if you want the truth.

If you actually have anything, post it here.

Norm

Profile Personal album  

Page 8 of 8 [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8