It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: winter cars / trucks
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:14 pm 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

For those people who have to deal with snowy, sandy, salty roads during the winter: Do you put your Olds away for the season? What do you drive during the winter?

I'll post pics of my truck and my past winter vehicles shortly

... It's been pretty quiet around here lately so I thought I'd try to spark some conversation :lol:

Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Re: winter cars / trucks
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:52 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

Currently all I have available is my Intrigue...all season vehicle. She just got some body work done to her...since I rear ended somebody who stopped on a dime in rainy weather.

Will post pics up in a bit...

EDIT: Pictures added to my album.

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:18 pm 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

Here are mine:

My first winter car was an 89 Lincoln Town Car... bought it from a guy locally for $600, I drove it for 2 winters then sold it for $360 so it wasn't a bad deal at all! It had over 200K miles on it and had it's little issues, but ran and drove great. Eventually the transmaission started to go and that's when I sold it. Wasn't the greatest in the snow being RWD but I made it around ok, a couple 100lb bags of sandblasting sand in the trunk helped quite a bit. Not a very cool car but damn it was comfortable!

After the Lincoln, I bought a 91 Chevy 4x4 1/2 ton pickup which I had for about 5.5 years. I had some issues with it initially (which I talked about on this site) but after I got the original problem straightened out it treated me well. I sold this truck this past summer.

My current truck is a 1983 Chevy 1 ton 4x4. It was owned by my grandfather and has been a garage queen for a long time (it hasn't seen a snowflake in 20 years) The truck has about 60K miles on it, 350, TH400. I also have a snow plow for it (although I don't know if I will be able to bring myself to plow with it, it's in such nice shape.) I made some slight changes to the truck, one being new tires 285/75/R16's with some nicer looking wheels. Plus I spent about a month fixing up little odds and ends to bring it back to looking really nice (the trim was falling off, did some serious detailing, etc) Also did lots of routine maintenance type work to it since it had been sitting quite a bit. The old wheels and tires will go back on for winter. Now that I have a 1 ton truck , I was finally able to get a pickup camper. I've wanted one for years to take out on the beach but never had a truck big enough to put one on.

The first pic was right after I got it all cleaned up and on the road, the 2nd pic is with the camper on it and the new wheels and tires

So there they are... I only drove the Olds for 1 winter so far, that was before I bought the Lincoln. Now the Olds only comes out when the weather is nice!

Last edited by 73Delta88 on Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:25 pm 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

Brando wrote:
She just got some body work done to her...

Did the whole car get painted? It looks like it came out really nice.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:26 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

lolz my olds is my winter car haha

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:20 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

73Delta88 wrote:
Brando wrote:
She just got some body work done to her...

Did the whole car get painted? It looks like it came out really nice.

Close to it...they buffed/polished the entire car. Mostly the doors and roof that didn't get painted...

It's back in the shop to get a few more things done...dull spots from bad buffing, painting my new mirrors (driver's side was broken/paint oxidized and passenger side was equally oxidized), bumping out a dent in driver's side door that's been there since I bought it.

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:53 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

I grew up with our family's Oldsmobile Delta 88 in winters, and we had to put sandbags in the trunk because it was a RWD car. I have my own Olds now, same make, model, and year, and it will never see snow. Ever. I don't want it rusting (any more, actually), and it doesn't handle well in slush and ice.

During winter I drive a 2003 Pontiac Vibe, FWD, and although it'll fishtail a little in slush if you're careless, it handles extremely well otherwise. It's got a fiberglass and plastic body so it won't rust on the outside. It takes dirt and debris like a champ, and I have had NO mechanical issues since I bought it in 2008; when it was already 5 years old. It's name is Big Red, and I love it so.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]