It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Garage heater?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:07 am 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

Curious to know what you use to heat your garage/shop?

I have a couple kerosene heaters, one is radiant and the other is convection. They put off some good heat, but it is $4.09 for a gallon of kerosene as I recently found out. About $22 for 5 gallons of kerosene, it doesn't burn the cleanest either.

The other heater I have is a Mr Heater Big Buddy propane heater. It burns real clean, and heats the room rather quickly. It does run off of two 20lb propane tanks though, which adds up to $50 every time I need to exchange the two tanks. I've never actually calculated how efficient it is, but the two tanks usually last me through the winter.

I'd love to run a natural gas line and install a small furnace, but that is quite costly to do.

So I started looking into electric heaters and pulled the trigger on a FlowPro 4800W 240V electric heater from Northern Tool (I guess it was a hot item as it is showing it as sold out right now, was $69). I had looked at them before I bought the propane heater, but I had other issues that needed to be taken care of...the electrical panel was ancient.

Long over due for an upgrade....
ImageImage

Giant 240v plug...

The FlowPro heater...

As you can see, the heater sits on my currently very messy workbench. I plan to build a shelf for it later, but it works for now. I am surprised by the results....the propane heater is weak compared to this, I was actually sweating and needed to take my coat off in 8 degree weather. The shop is currently very poorly insulated...gaping holes where squirrels can get in (sigh...), this heater is a monster. I love it.

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ]