It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: DSL
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:11 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Well we are getting rid of our slow cable and getting DSL. It just move into our area and wont be online until friday. We just got our modem and stuff today. I feel like a kid on christmas mording. I dont know much about DSL and I was wondering if anyone knows how it compares to cable. The only diff. I know right now is that it's 30 bux cheaper! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:25 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

You have charter right now?
I love my Comcast cable, 3mbps....it's pretty damn good and it's never down...also has to do with switching from a Belkin to a US Robotics, but I'm thinking of using smoothwall maybe...

Apparently you've posted a couple times from a DirecPC connection too :?

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:29 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Yeah, the DirecPC is my friend who has satelite internet, which is even worse then dial up for surfing the web. Yeah, our charter cable is perty crapy. We only have 256 but everyone has a trial 1.2meg for a year, which is almost up. Also it goes down alot during the afternoon which sux. I'm looking foward to dsl. It also doesnt make much sence to have cable internet and pay for basic cable(Need to have that in order to have internet, and it's an extra 20 bux a month) when we have dish network. Also our DSL is 3 meg for 30 bux a month :thumbup:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:53 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

i have time warner cable and its badass never has gone down since i got it a year ago and i download full version movies in about an hr.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:20 am 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

smooth wall is the ONLY way to go, brando!!! Its so.... Smooth! I'm sure you're famailiar with the system... I love being able to check back through my logs and see who's been trying to use a backdoor to get through. Its great! The best part is it's smart enough to leave you alone and let you do what YOU want, and not block stuff like kazaa and messenger and what-not.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/88delta88
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:32 am 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

Cutlass95Ciera wrote:
our charter cable is perty crapy.

I have Charter, and am pretty happy with it. 768K, I check it once in a while with one of those online bandwidth test things, and it's usually around 780K, sometimes into 800. I don't know if my service actually runs slightly faster than it's supposed to, or if it's just someting wierd going on. It's only been down once or twice in the last year or so. I know it's far from the fastest service you can have, but it's plenty fast for me.... any faster and my POS computer probably wouldn't be able to keep up anyway! :lol:

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:58 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Well we have always had tearble luck with cable in our area, dont know why. At our old house we had a bad signal and they kept saying it was our tv, and it was not. Well we ended up getting dish network. But when we moved 5 years ago to our new house, my dad was on the roof getting the dish down and realised that our cable line was cut and exposed to the elements. This is what caused our bad signal and they said it was our tv. So first off their idiots. We had the same problem with our cable modem when we first got it. We kept loosing signal completley. They came over and sid it was my comptuer. This got me MAD!! They finally realised, after a month of no internet.....that it was our line to our house. After they fixed it, it worked fine, except for the down time ALL THE TIME :( Anyways our cable sux round here LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:20 pm 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

Brando wrote:
Apparently you've posted a couple times from a DirecPC connection too :?

spying on us now huh? :lol: guess you can see that I'm not at home right now? I'm at school.... connected through the wireless LAN. it's pretty cool, works just about everywhere on campus.

I saw some tv show a while back that had a guy driving around in a city with a laptop on his passanger seat and he would drive up outside office buildings and connect to their wireless network if they had one, just showing how easy it is to do, and how wireless networks can leave you open for attack.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:37 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Yeah, I was having fun one late night in the team olds section looking at everyones IP. I know, I'm a nerd :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:24 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

its ok i am a nerd too i'll admit it :)

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:30 am 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

hey 73delta, that was my plan! I wanted to do that with my car computer... All I needed to buy was a wireless card for the card slot... Never got around to it. One of these days :-)

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:21 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

We have wireless in my house because my laptop uses a built in wireless. The good thing is that I put the router in my room....the basement.....so it doesnt work outside. Even if someone got in our network there is nothing they would be able to steal or permantly damage. You can always format and re-install!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:48 pm 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

just use encrypted communication... It takes your signal and scrambles it up so no one without the encryption key will be able to find your data useful.

It does slow down your transfer rate slightly, but I think that the added security and peace of mind is worth it. Its not hard to implement.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:54 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Yeah, I use that too, but even if someone got in, it's not the end of the world. That's why you have backups! Although my backups are just my friends computers, cus I have two 120gig's full of movies, tv shows, and a 40gig full of music videos. Told ya I was a nerd :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:31 am 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

73Delta88 wrote:
Cutlass95Ciera wrote:
our charter cable is perty crapy.

I have Charter, and am pretty happy with it. 768K,

Our cable company just changed their internet stuff, we had 768K, which was the middle of the road option, but they got rid of that, and you have to choose between two speeds... three hundred and something K, or 3 mbps for a few dollars more.... so we got the 3 mbps one, they say it's faster than DSL... what speed does DSL usually run at? or are there different levels like cable?

Last edited by 73Delta88 on Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next