It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:12 am 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

Brando, smoothwall is out... No longer in fashion. Get "IP-COP". Same exact idea as smoothwall, even made by one of the same guys as smoothwall.

There were 2 partners in the smoothwall team, and one decided to start getting greedy, and making poor decisions, or something to that effect. The other didnt like the idea, so he started his own side-project called IP COP. Its the latest greatest.

I am holding a copy of it right now, and should be installing it this weekend overtop of smoothwall. Brando, I recommend you do the same ;-)

http://www.cardomain.com/id/88delta88
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:38 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

What's better about it?

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:32 pm 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

Its newer, more features. Newer versions of IPSEC if you use VPN (and we all know how much of a PITA it is to configure IPSEC). Newer kernel, better use of system resources... List goes on. Primarily though, its quicker, lower overhead, and its a smaller install. Use it on a slower machine and it wont care. Anything better than a 486 66mhz and you're good to go!

Still havent had a chance to install it at home, but we're using it here at the shop, and it works great so far.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Re: Smoothwall
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:23 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

I just changed over from smoothwall to m0n0wall. So far it seems to be using a lot less resources on my p266mmx, smoothwall was using up all 172mb of my ram somehow. It is based on freeBSD.

Just installed it, using 13% of RAM and 0-1% of CPU :cool:

It also has those IPsec VPN things you mentioned ip cop has...no idea what those are, but yea... :lol:

Also appears to have support for wireless...might have to purchase a wireless pci card and try it out.

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:12 am 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

Brando wrote:
...smoothwall was using up all 172mb of my ram somehow.

Up until I changed to IPcop, I was running my smoothwall on a pentium 75, with 32MB ram, and a 2 gig HD... Didnt notice any memory holes, but it could definately run differently on another PC.

Brando wrote:
It also has those IPsec VPN things you mentioned ip cop has...no idea what those are, but yea... :lol:

IPsec (Internet Protocol Security) allows you to create an encrypted "tunnel" over the internet, to another network remotely located. A tunnel can extend your local network to include another local network across the internet. Cool stuff. We use it to run our accounting software that runs in our building, to our other office in another city.

Brando wrote:
Also appears to have support for wireless...might have to purchase a wireless pci card and try it out.

It mimicks a wireless router? Thats cool!

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:04 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

Yes, it can have wireless capabilites, although it seems the wireless security is very limited at the moment (only WEP), and few cards are supported by default. The reason being is they are using FreeBSD 4.11, so it's a little outdated.

So far I love it though, I got tripped out by my DHCP leases log though... :lol:
I saw my computer (silent-tsunami), my laptop (toshiba), my mom's computer (black beauty), and some nameless connection to my router...
So I immediately shut down my wireless access point thinking someone hacked the WPA2 security... :lol:
Well, I found out it was my Brother HL-5250DN laser printer....
Yep, good story.

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:01 pm 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

Brando wrote:
...I found out it was my Brother HL-5250DN laser printer....

Network printer :lol:

Turn MAC filtering on, and only add the PC's that are supposed to be there. Nearly bulletproof, especially with wireless.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:11 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

I already have that set up for my wireless router...that's the way I set up family/friends routers too.

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:45 pm 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

The mac filter IMO is better than WEP or WPA encryption, unless the router firmware has holes. Plus, it wont slow the data stream down any.

Have you had any experience with the new wireless "N"? Looks cool. Hope to get to play with some soon.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:54 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

88delta88 wrote:
The mac filter IMO is better than WEP or WPA encryption, unless the router firmware has holes. Plus, it wont slow the data stream down any.

Have you had any experience with the new wireless "N"? Looks cool. Hope to get to play with some soon.

But with just the mac filter if you ain't got WEP on someone can still collect the data. I use both and download large files all the time at around 800kbs. My connection maxes out at that speed, and the router has no problem encrypting.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:19 pm 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

GraveReaper0 wrote:
But with just the mac filter if you ain't got WEP on someone can still collect the data.

Very true, if you are dealing with sensitive data. As far as unwanted guests, mac filters do an excellent job.

What routers have you guys found reliable? I've had many linksys and dlink routers that crashed and dropped signal on a regular basis. The best one I've had yet was a cheapo "encore" unit I got on sale for $20 clearance.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:40 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

I've had really good luck with my U.S. Robotics USR8054.... it's been incredibly stable compared with my parents' Netgear. We have a monster Belkin at work that was great for about a year, but we have to reset it pretty frequently now.... although we DO have computers on and off it constantly, so we can't really complain too much. I paid $50 for my USR a little over a year ago, so it's been a pretty decent value, IMHO. I don't have a huge house, but the range on it seems to be pretty decent, too. Yay for dual antennas!

-Carl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:18 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Well, I never trust wireless myself, so I just ran 100ft of CAT6 cable along the edges of the wall from my router to my computer in the room. We got very thick walls so the signal probably would have sucked badly. My internet recently has been seeing speeds of 4-6mb so I don't want to sacrifice anything :lol: If I had a laptop, I would look into it, but right now I'm in the dark ages of wired. Not to mention it was a cheaper alternative for me at the moment.

At the moment I'm working on a computer (an older 500MHz computer thats no use for my regular computer use) that acts as a router and firewall and ditch my Linksys router all together, even though it works flawlessly *knocks on wood*

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:42 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

My last two routers have been the linksys 54gs. The first one crapped out on me after a month, so after a quick call they sent me out a new one, completely free. That was 2 years ago and since then the router has been on constantly. I run two wireless laptops, a wireless adapter for my Xbox360, and my PSP. So I need wireless. All the machines have static IPs, mac filter and WEP enabled. I even get a good signal in my garage, that's about 4 walls and a good 50 feet in between the house and the garage. But I loose the signal at my neighbors house, and that sucks, he's only got a 1.5mb connection, so this summer I want to run an outdoor antenna, that way he'll be able to ditch his crappy connection and use my 6mb(sometimes it jumps to 10mb) for a measly $10 a month. :D

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2