It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: 98 stereo
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:36 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

A friend of mine wants me to install a stereo for her. Basicly I would rather go in knowing what i am doing rather than make an ass out of myself. :roll:

I'm just wanting to know how to take the panal off and wondering the best route when it comes to cutting the din hole.

By the way the car is an 1984 98 Regency Brougham.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:44 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Im pretty sure this dash is similar to mine, with two seperate panels (one around and over the steering column and one around the stereo and a/c controlls) The thing is, if its like mine, the panel around the stereo has the knobs poking through it so that will not fit a cd player, you have to cut a hole perfect size so that the cd player would fit flush into it..

This is where you have to get creative, take your time with this. it'll pay off in the long run. There should be 2 bolts above the radio to remove the panel and theres 4 clips in each corner to pop off. completely remove this peice and make yourself comfortable so you dont mess up.

Theres more than one way to do this, just used your head youll figure it out.

There should be a metal sheath around the new head unit, i traced this onto the back with a permanent marker and cut out the hole with a pvc saw and a file, although if your careful a serrated knife and some patience would work also.

Once the hole was cut i slid the sheath through the hole, bent the 2 "flaps" that come off it against the panel and used plastic welder to hold the sheath onto the panel so it was stationary.

I then slid the cd player into the panel and bolted it to the sheath.

Now your cd player and panel should be one peice and is ready to be wired.

Now for wiring you could do two things, you could purchase a harness (a worthy investment.. like 10-15$ and makes for a quick/clean install) or you could hard wire it strait from the harness suplied with the head unit to the existing wires... If your hard wiring you should get a box of 22-16 guage wire butts, a crimping tool, a wire stripper and a roll of electrical tape.

If the head unit is new it will come with a diagram that shows what the supplied wires connect to

Generally, Red goes to the ignition switch (in my case the ignition switch wire was yellow)

Black goes to ground, wich is black but if you want to go the extra length you could ground to the firewall.

now there should be a yellow wire on your supplied harness that needs a constant 12v to save the memmory and setting on the head unit.
You have to find a constant supply of 12v, either through the fuse box or run 16 guage wire directly to the battery and fuse it (thats what i did).

the antenna wire that was on the factory stereo should be black and have a steel fitting that almost resembles an RCA cable.

Plug that into the Antenna input on the cd player.

now there should be 9 wires left, 8 of wich are speaker wire and 1 is remote accessory wire.

The remote accessory wire on the harness is usually blue and is used to turn on an amp or cd changer, wich i dont think is applicable in your case so just leave it... cover any exposed copper from the wire sleeve just to be safe.

Speaker wire colors vary, i figured this out through process of elimination

If using aftermarket speakers i suggest replacing all the speaker wire with sheilded speaker wire, i noticed a big difference in distortion at high volume when i did this.

im not sure what colors correspond with what speaker but i know these are the colors supplied from the factory on my 84 delta 88

Blue/ blue and navy
Yellow/ yellow and brown
green/ green and brown
Purple/ purple and violet

The wires with two colors are always negative.

If this seems too intimidating, i wouldnt suggest doing this to another persons car.

Im running out of time though so if you have any questions post em and i'll check back... also check out the audio threads im sure theres plenty of info on there

Brian

Currently driving: 2004 Sentra 1.8S
 Profile Personal album  

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]