It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 9:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 3 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:43 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

88delta88 wrote:
yes, find some bare metal.... after you do, you'll have heavy metal... :rock: :rock:

if worst comes to worst, find a spot on the firewall scrape it, make sure you aren't going to hit anything and use a self-tapping stainless sheet metal screw, then put an eyelet on your ground. grounds should as short as possible...likely you should be able to find a bracket under dash that has a good chassis ground

81 Cutlass Calais 260/350 (purchased Nov 04)
never thought I'd say "I miss the power of a 307"
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:36 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Definately going to run a power wire in from battery.
What gauge wire would you recommend? 10 or 12?
Also what size fuse i got 30 amp glass inline fuses here i could put on it.
Also going to contact Sirius even though i heard their tech support is not great/ I can't be paying for radio only to have it go out. Today i thought i had nailed the problem when i unzipped the excess wire and it played great till i hit a bump now nothing again. And i blew a fuse again hence why im going to run a power wire in. Also going to get me a soldering iron instead of e-tape.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:18 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

12 gauge would be plenty...but 10 gauge certainly wouldn't hurt. The 30 amp fuse would work best with the 10 gauge, 12 gauge you'd need smaller...20 amp.

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:52 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Thanks for reply. Probally all i will do tomm is run the wire and see if i can get it into the car at the wire grommet by the drivers side then get on it Tuesday. Work all day tommorow lol.

Waiting on Sirius reply. Mite get my friend to come over this week and help with that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:56 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

SOmething else dawned on me. And it could be why the fuse is popping.
I got my Sirius hooked into the stock power and ground wire. They recommend running a wire in off the battery to the fuse box on the wire.So when i run that wire in why not hook it into Sirius box and ground that to metal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:49 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Lol guys it hates me. I just got out the sat radio stuff it has to get shipped to cali for replacement because its defective. I thought just antenna but no the whole works. So i ripped it out today and figure wtf ill plug in cig lighter to see if it pops and well it does lol. SO i guess if i get active ill run 4 wires into car. NOt looking fun already looked that over. GOing to see if CC will install the sat radio for free yet dont wanna go through that fun again.Duct tape holds the headunit in well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:31 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

I got sparks when i put a fuse in the box.WHY?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:35 pm 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

something is drawing power... start by unplugging the sirius, and doing the fuse test again. Then unhook your stereo, and try it again. If the sparking quits, you've found the culprit. Only unhook one accessory at a time, so you know persicely what is the problem.

If the fuse is popping every time you insert it, then you must go in and look for a dead short, in every place you've recently been working.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/88delta88
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:45 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

88delta88 wrote:
something is drawing power... start by unplugging the sirius, and doing the fuse test again. Then unhook your stereo, and try it again. If the sparking quits, you've found the culprit. Only unhook one accessory at a time, so you know persicely what is the problem.

If the fuse is popping every time you insert it, then you must go in and look for a dead short, in every place you've recently been working.

Sirius is uninstalled. Has to be shipped to Cali. Still did it.
Wouldnt do it w Stereo not plugged in.
So that means i need new power ground wires.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:30 am 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

If you unplugged the stereo and it stopped, definately look at any power connections you may have going to it. Inspect any wires that you were playing with to try and get power to your unit. Ensure that you've securely black tapped or capped off the ends of any loose wires you're not using. I would recommend one single solid wire running from the battery (fused of course) to your stereo. I think you said you had a good solid ground. Verify that, and try it again!

Wiring is a good skill to master, not only for your own good, but, for the vehicle also. Make your olds happy, it will do the same for you ;-)

http://www.cardomain.com/id/88delta88
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:51 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

I got a wierd development guys lol. If i push the cig lighter in it pops but i ran my air compressor for my flat tire today and it didnt pop lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:56 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

Your cigarette lighter is broken...just like mine was on my Intrigue which I mentioned on page 2 of this topic.

Not the receptacle, the lighter element itself.

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:09 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

lol im new to it so thats prob why i missed it. SO i can just get me a new one but im not gonna worry about it because im gonna run radar in the receptacle and not use the lightre itself

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:45 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Brando sorry if i come across dumb lol. I knew my s-10 blazer like the back of my hand the olds is a new monster. After i stepped away for a little went back re read whole thread i see what your saying.
Just going to install radar tomorrow or Thursday and that should solve said problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:45 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Ok lol the rain mite have solved a problem and if it did i got a bigger one.

Windshield started to leak friday nite after car washi found out after work big puddle on shifter haha.

Well tonite coming home from work the green turn signal bulb in the cluster the right one works now before it was just the left one.

haha so anybody know where to check this out at? Because i also have intermittent SES light that does nothing because that has been fixed.

Page 3 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3