It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Wiring to Fuse Panel
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:48 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Basically what all is needed to run power wire from CB to fuse box. I got one its pretty old and they spliced a 12V power plug on it which is bad because it gets all that road noise in there. So what i want to know is what wire goes in there i have never wired into it before so its new to me. Also can drill into seat from trunk to run wire because its pinched in door. Was planning on running a noise filter in line to it as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:22 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

As long as the CB radio is properly wired up, you shouldn't need a noise filter....they are just band aids to cover up a booboo. :lol:

I've never wired up a CB....never owned one. But I would imagine you could wire it up with the radio?

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:49 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

I read on one of the CB install sites if i could find the link id give it to you to read that if it shares the same circuit or wiring path as radio harness or in my case the 12V plug it will make noise when it is on. That is what i got when you turn the car on you hear the reving and anytime brakes are applied etx it transmits noise into the cb.

What it was saying basically was that in order to have clearest no noise would be to wire into the fuse box and not have a 12 volt cig lighter plug spliced on it as all the RF i think was the term interferes.

http://www.crowbarelectricalparts.com/F ... olders.htm

Thinking of getting a fuse tap (which is at end of site) and then running power wire into that and the ground right to metal.

Currently looks like this

Going to try to mount it sideways here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:01 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

I found out last night from looking at various off road jeep pages that they sell fuse taps and that is how the jeep guys wire there CBs so when they are out on the trail there is no interference because if you have it 12volt power plug all the interference from wipers brakes gas etc interferes with your signal etc/ Well i bought a 6 pack of these blade fuse taps at Autozone for 1.99. Had no idea what i was doing. Found that i have 3 open fuse slots. I put the fuse tap over the fuse and into the where the fuse must go and it fit so i go ok. Ran a power wire 16 gauge to match what the power wire on CB was to the fuse panel. Here i crimped the supplied connector for the fuse tap onto the power wire then onto the tap. Then i looped the tap over the fuse and inserted it. Then i ran 14 gauge ground wire per CB wire and went looking for solid ground.Ash tray no. Cigarette lighter holy crap was that a great place to ground. I had signal on every channel around 3-9 and one channel was in green 30+. I could not ground it there as i run radar and it would have looked not so good. So i decided per some Jeep pages to ground it to the seat holding bolt. NOw from my experience in swapping seats i knew it was a 13MM deep socket undid the bolt took the 14 gauge ground inserted into biggest loop connector i could find crimped, taped, tightened bolt down. Signal is impressive, even with the 10 crappy wal mart antenna i got good signal from 1-21 and i even recieve some channels from 22-40. I found myself actually turning off the AN which is noise cancellation to hear it. I ran the power wire back above Sirius tuner and through the fuse box cover handle. Hear in morning i have to see if i can crimp the connector the tap as it is a bit loose for my liking, but signal does not waver or power of signal. I still want to throw a couple wire clips up on the power wire so it is a little more out of the way. Overall the process took about an hour for someone like myself who is still learning to wire in cars and what not. I ran the car to test for interference from the car ABSOLUTELY NONE you can not tell the CB cost .50cents or the antenna cost 10 bucks it is that quiet on most channels and when i apply the brakes no cutting out. All i have to do is turn the CB from off to on and it turns on. In morning ill snap some pics before i head to Pocono and when i get back from qualifying tommorow ill post up what it looks like and all that great stuff.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]