It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 4:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Wiring issue
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:56 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

I got an 88 Olds Cutlass Calais Coupe. Got what they told me to use for a wiring harness with my Pioneer deck and when i went to hook it up its not the one/So i cut off the old wiring connector and now trying to wire it up from radio harness to the wires in the car. So far ive got the speakers connected properly, i hope.
http://carstereohelp.net/wireharness_Delco1.htm

If ya look at that link for reference im going to use that tommorow has i had a 79 and up one that got me confused diagram. Back to the above link and ill try to give you guys as much info as i can on this. 13 Dimmer i dont have this currently connected but i got a gray wire in their hooked up for illumination. Now the problem i think im having is this. I got a yellow wire on the harness for battery coming off the radio and thats hooked up to 14. I got the ground wire on the bolt in the back of of the space.Now can i hook up that to number 11 instead of the bolt? Also what does 12 go to? I have think thats whats kicking my ass because there are 2 and the one that wrapped around the brown wire so thats speaker related. Ive got them two on green black and green according to this site http://www.corvetteradios.com/Page.html. NOw what i think the problem is this. I got the switched 12 volt to the red wire on the radio harness. So basically i got a brown wire and a gray wire left but the thing wont turn on. Im gonna probally switch the grounds around so instead of being on that bolt its on the black wire in the original harness but what do i do about the red wire on the radio harness?Do i keep that on the yellow switched 12 volt or what?

Any suggestions or help would be great. As im kinda stumped.My thinking is brown dimmer doesnt need to be hooked up, pink wire doesnt need to be hooked up, and the black one should but maybe the switched 12 volt yellow wire doesnt belong on that red radio harness wire. Have i confused anyone yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:19 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

So you cut the wiring harness? Egh... I did the same thing and regretted it badly. Anyways...

Constant 12V+ - Orange
Switched 12V+ - Yellow
Ground - Black
Illumination - Gray
Dimmer - Brown
Antenna Trigger - Pink
Antenna - Right Front
Front Speakers 3 1/2" Dash
Left Front (+) - Tan
Left Front (-) - Gray
Right Front (+) - Light Green
Right Front (-) - Dark Green
Rear Speakers 6" x 9" Rear Deck
Left Rear (+) - Brown
Left Rear (-) - Yellow
Right Rear (+) - Dark Blue
Right Rear (-) - Light Blue

Now, switched power goes to red, and the orange should go to yellow (constant 12V) Don't worry about the Gray or Brown wires. They aren't needed for getting it to operate. When you cut the wires you may of got the two yellows mixed up. One of the speakers leads are yellow. Get a test light to figure which one is which and marked it with some tape or something. Been there done that, had the same problem. Now I have it marked... Hope this helps...

Edit...and yes the ground is to the black wire instead of a bolt. Better just to connect in there IMO...

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:46 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

See this is what is wierd. Last night i found that other site that i have above which is our radio. This morning went down and traced the speaker yellow wire just to make sure that i had right one and i did its wrapped around the other speaker wire. So i got the 12 volt switched to the red, the orange to the yellow battery. My ground wire is black w white stripe. After i did my wiring i checked it and it still wouldnt turn on. So i did some more looking found a fuse for illumination burnt out in the fuse box replaced that and the other 10 amp fuse in there and checked the one on the radio and there all good now.

Next plan is to run the ground to my door and see if that grounds it.Im pretty sure its not grounding right as every other wire is connected.

Thanks for any more help and i appreciated that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:09 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

A ground wire will NEVER have a white stripe....it's always solid black.

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:11 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Thats what i thought but i dotn just got a solid black wire in their. I got a orange w like a strip and the brown dimmer wire that came off the othe connector there sitting tagged but i cant find this solid black one and its like the only wire left besides pink. Ill get a pic tommorow when i get it back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:35 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Do wha? Sounds weird. I'm far from an audio expert, but I know my wiring pretty decent (givin a wiring diagram of course), been doing stuff like it for years. There should definitely be a black ground wire in your wiring harness in the car and your head unit. This goes for most all cars as well. This is what has me confused. :?

Hey, you're in PA, ride down here and I'll figure it out! (kidding of course) :lol:

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:46 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

I know there should be one in their but the closest i can see of is the one thats primarily black w a little white strip on it.The radio harness black wire is ready to go. I mite just try to run it to metal and see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:28 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

That will work fine, in fact it's often recommended to get a solid ground to the chassis when upgrading the radio.

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:52 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Well im gonna use solid door metal and if that works then i know thats my problem.Thats my reasoning behind it anyway lol. Going to hammer this tommorow. Its getting me mad lol. I need tunes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:41 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

Door metal? I don't think that's less than 3 feet of wire away. You should be able to find a bolt in the dash...around the steering column usually.

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:05 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

I know but i know there its nothing but metal and from their i can go and find metal behind the stereo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:18 am 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

yes, find some bare metal.... after you do, you'll have heavy metal... :rock: :rock:

http://www.cardomain.com/id/88delta88
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:30 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

GOT HEAVY METAL WOOT WOOT.
Ok after class this morning my friend was helping me. We took the test light and confirmed black with white stripe was ground. Then we figured out that the yellows were indeed switched. So that then proceeded into Cd player turning on. Then we had no audio.There was a wire switched around their as well. So then somebody let me know if this is safe or not we wired the Sirius yellow into the radio harness battery wire and same with Sirius ground wire and ran it out the back.Sirius came on so we know it has power and what not but is that good?. Then after playing with it for sometime because this install kit is not working lol i blew the 20 amp radio fuse in the fuse block. I did hide the antenna wire ok for the sirius. So now i need to figure out to mount the install kit and ill be golden.Problem appears to be that walmart carries 85-91 cutlass calais but not the 88-91(2) one. Kool thing is though the radio is loud and the graphics are insane. LEt me know on that before we give it hell this afternoon and mount it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:23 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Ok guys satellite radio kicks balls.Especially sirius cuz thats what i got and you cant go wrong with blue collar comedy channel. Tommorow Pa and I goto engineer the stereo into the holder because we have to make it work redneck style lol. But anywho the stereo sirius and when i get time to put the 6x9 pioneers in from the truck they will cost approximately half of what the car cost to me lol. I just wanna take a long drive now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:23 am 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

awesome man, glad it worked out for you... satellite radio is the shat, I love mine, but I've got XM.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/88delta88
 Profile Personal album  

Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next