It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: stereo install probs
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:43 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

i just got a new cd player to replace the factory one in my car (92 Olds eighty eight royale). the dash panel would only fit back on if i took off a large amount of the replacement kit...and after i get it in i notice that it angled up so much that it is hard to see the display and the cds almost touch the top of the dash panel when being ejected....

any thoughts....?

Post subject: Re: stereo install probs
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:32 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

The aftermarket cd player in my 1993 Ninety Eight sits at a pretty big angle as well. I had to fudge it a little to push up the back of the deck so it's fairly readable now. However, the deck I have has a pretty good viewing angle. What I've thought about doing is mounting it down below where the factory cd deck would have gone... but that would require cutting up my dash. As for your mounting kit, most kits require you to cut pieces off, but it doesn't sound like that's what you mean. Maybe you got the wrong kit? Can you take pictures to show what you mean? I've got a picture up in my album of my cd player... I think our dashboards are similar. What I ended up doing was mounting a separate screen that I can actually read... but my deck has a video out, so that probably doesn't help. I hate to say this, but Oldsmobile didn't really help those of us who want to put an aftermarket deck in our cars in this case. Anybody else have any ideas?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:39 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

To make it easier.. here you go! I'll try to get more pics up soon to illustrate what I mean a little better. There are lots of people on here who love to help, so keep asking!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:41 am 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

If it were my car, I would build a center console, and install the deck there... But I am not sure if your car would allow this.

If you're going for the stock look, and have a steady hand, maybe cutting some of the dash away to allow the front of the deck to drop maybe 1/2". This would change the view angle, and likely solve the CD hitting the dash problem also.

The last suggestion I can make is that you take this CD player back to the store, and get one with an adjustable faceplate. I've seen some with motorized plates that can be adjusted for comfort.

I'll post back if I think of anything else.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/88delta88
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:02 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

i ended up altering my dash and the installation kit... i'll get some pics on here soon. but i discovered another problem, when i hooked up my subs a high pitched buz came on until i unhooked the subs. whats up w/ that?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:14 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

We need more information... Where did this buzz come from? Did it come from your speakers? Do you have multiple amplifiers installed? Did the buzz show up before or after you started your car? Did the buzz seem to change when you gave the engine some gas? How did you run your wires to your trunk? Are the RCA cables on the opposite side of the car from your power cable? Did you use decent RCA cables? How solid is your ground? I want to help, but I need to know a little more.

-Carl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:19 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

How is the amplifier for your subs grounded?

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:36 pm 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

I agree with brando, check the grounds!

http://www.cardomain.com/id/88delta88
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:42 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

We need more information... Where did this buzz come from? Did it come from your speakers? Do you have multiple amplifiers installed? Did the buzz show up before or after you started your car? Did the buzz seem to change when you gave the engine some gas? How did you run your wires to your trunk? Are the RCA cables on the opposite side of the car from your power cable? Did you use decent RCA cables? How solid is your ground? I want to help, but I need to know a little more.

the buzz came from the speakers i believe, i only had small amp installed, i think it did buzz before i started, yes the buzzing did increase with the acceleration, the wires are to my trunk, the rca cables are fairly cheap from auto zone, and i thought the ground was solid... it is between a bolt and another large piece of metal on the right side of my trunk.
my friend expected it was the ground, but i dont kno where else to ground something...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:07 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Okay, we have a start.... the question was "how do you have the wires run to your trunk?" Are your RCA cables and your power wire running side by side? As for grounding, Brando covers it quite well in this post... http://www.oldsconnection.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26 Have you grounded your amp like that? The noise you have most likely comes from one of the problems we've described. If you keep at it, answer our questions, and keep asking questions, you'll figure it out.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]