It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: The big three question.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:04 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Hey guys. I am ready to do the big three on my Ciera. I looked under the hood and saw my power cable from the alternator, seems to be 10 gauge, and going somewhere to the bottom. I was wondering, instead of tryin to find out where the cable goes, can I just run another 4 gauge wire straight from the alternator to the battery?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:38 am 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

The wire from the alternator does go straight to the battery. On my delta 88, it runs underneath the engine block to avoid the pulleys/belt on my fwd car, probably similar to yours. I see no reason why you couldn't just run it straight to the battery from up above...although it would probably look cleaner to run it along with the stock wire, but that's your decision.

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:14 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Brando is right (as usual), I just ran a 4 gauge wire in addition to the original wire and ran it directly from the alternator to the battery. I did wrap the wire with the plastic protector from a spark plug wire. I wasn't terribly worried about the wire melting, but it looks nicer than having a huge red wire running through the engine bay. When you do this, be sure that your connection at the alternator is protected from touching the alternator or any other part of the engine so you don't ground it out! I was personally terrified of doing that, so I double and triple checked the connection. Good luck!

-Carl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:54 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Hey guys. Well I go the big three done. Did alternator to battery, battery to chasis, and engine to chasis. Nobody had the power wires we use for stereo setups, so i used a regular 2 gauge household wire. It has thick led strands, but it fit perfectly into the 4 gauge terminal rings, odd.

Overall not much of a difference, the lights are still dimming. The alternator just isn't puttin enough amps out. But it is just a bit better.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:30 pm 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

You need a bigger "cap". Not an audio cap, persay, but in my case, my amp was dimming lights at high volume levels. I added an extra battery, in my trunk to help the amp out. It solved my dimming problem, and I've got double the starting power in the winter.

So far, its been great. No problems other than blown fuses :-) If you'd like to see the setup, it can be found in my album.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/88delta88
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:45 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

88delta88 wrote:
You need a bigger "cap". Not an audio cap, persay, but in my case, my amp was dimming lights at high volume levels. I added an extra battery, in my trunk to help the amp out. It solved my dimming problem, and I've got double the starting power in the winter.

He may need a higher output alternator as well too. Our Delta's have ~108 amp ones from factory, I'm not sure if his is as big or lower. Adding a second battery to the car puts an extra strain on the electrical system as well. Although it does help, it's worth a try. :wink:

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:45 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

87Delta wrote:
........ Adding a second battery to the car puts an extra strain on the electrical system ........

How?

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:45 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

88 Coupe wrote:
87Delta wrote:
........ Adding a second battery to the car puts an extra strain on the electrical system ........

How?

It has to charge that battery up as it gets used from the audio equipment along with the main starting one if needed.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:18 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

87Delta wrote:

87Delta wrote:
........ It has to charge that battery up as it gets used from the audio equipment along with the main starting one if needed.

The electrical system does not charge the battery. The alternator charges the battery?

How does an extra battery put an extra strain on the electrical system?

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:42 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

88 Coupe wrote:

Sorry for the misunderstanding, but what I meant by electrical system was the alternator, battery, etc... :blush:

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:56 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

87Delta wrote:
88 Coupe wrote:

........ what I meant by electrical system was the alternator, battery, etc

OK, you meant only the "charging system". Fair enough.

Since you have clarified your statement, I will rephrase my question to reflect that change, and we can begin again.

How does the act of charging one, two, or ten, extra batteries, put an extra strain on any part of the electrical system?

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:04 am 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

88 Coupe wrote:
87Delta wrote:
88 Coupe wrote:

........ what I meant by electrical system was the alternator, battery, etc

OK, you meant only the "charging system". Fair enough.

Since you have clarified your statement, I will rephrase my question to reflect that change, and we can begin again.

How does the act of charging one, two, or ten, extra batteries, put an extra strain on any part of the electrical system?

Well, if the batteries are not fully charged, and they draw more amperage, or a vast majoirty of the amperage the alternator puts out, then that could reduce the amount of amperage the rest of the electrical system gets, thereby straining components that are sensitive to such conditions.

Thats about the only instance I can think of. If you have 2 charged batteries, wired in paralell (since we dont want to increase battery voltage) then the charging system should have no problem keeping up, and the electrical system shouldnt suffer either.

Andrew

Mark Twain wrote:
A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation.
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:20 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

88 Coupe wrote:
........ How does the act of charging one, two, or ten, extra batteries, put an extra strain on any part of the electrical system?

andrewk wrote:
........ if the batteries are not fully charged, and they draw more amperage, or a vast majority of the amperage the alternator puts out, then that could reduce the amount of amperage the rest of the electrical system gets, ........

Just as it's not possible to strain anything by adding a second battery, power cannot be taken from the electrical system to charge the battery.

Using 88delta88's system with two batteries and the 108 amp alternator that was mentioned: Cruising (at the speed limit) on a highway, at night, with the tunes sounding right.

How many amps are being sent from the alternator to the batteries?

How many, if there was only one battery?

Norm

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:21 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

88 Coupe wrote:

A fairly decent sized system will draw a good amount of power. When a system is playing and a bass hit or something else draws more then the alternator provides, it takes the needed power out of the battery (while it takes power from the battery it's minimal at that) When multiple bass hits, or that power drain is occuring more and more power is being used from the battery or batteries. So the alternator is trying to power the stereo system and also charging the battery or batters all at once. Creates a strain on the charging system.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:37 pm 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

88 Coupe wrote:

Just as it's not possible to strain anything by adding a second battery, power cannot be taken from the electrical system to charge the battery.

Correct, but if you are using 'max output', and most of the draw is going to stereo or other accessories, then it could strain other components like a PCM, and cause it to throw a code or trip the CEL.

88Coupe wrote:
Using 88delta88's system with two batteries and the 108 amp alternator that was mentioned: Cruising (at the speed limit) on a highway, at night, with the tunes sounding right.

As many as the battery draws. Will depend on the amperage draw of the stereo, and other components. Probably wont be alot, since the alternator should be able to support the whole electrical system.

Quote:

The same.

Andrew

Mark Twain wrote:
A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation.
 Profile Personal album  

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next