It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:38 pm 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

87Delta wrote:
88 Coupe wrote:
How many amps are being sent from the alternator to the batteries?

How many, if there was only one battery?

A fairly decent sized system will draw a good amount of power. When a system is playing and a bass hit or something else draws more then the alternator provides, it takes the needed power out of the battery (while it takes power from the battery it's minimal at that) When multiple bass hits, or that power drain is occuring more and more power is being used from the battery or batteries. So the alternator is trying to power the stereo system and also charging the battery or batters all at once. Creates a strain on the charging system.

Why would a second battery increase this effect? If anything, it should reduce it.

Mark Twain wrote:
A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation.
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:05 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

andrewk wrote:
Why would a second battery increase this effect? If anything, it should reduce it.

Not saying a big increase, but you are still using power from the battery if you can't supply enough with the alternator. Still have to charge the battery while everything is in play.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:32 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

Most people don't play constant bass tones in their car, the alternator has time to replenish that extra battery. An extra battery adds to the peak amps that the system can use...much more than a simple alternator upgrade can do...unless you're running ten of em at one time....not uncommon in SPL competition vehicles running constant bass tones...but you'll also see a stack of batteries in back too.

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:59 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

88delta88 wrote:
........ No problems other than blown fuses ........

Another instigation?

88 Coupe wrote:
87Delta wrote:
........ Adding a second battery to the car puts an extra strain on the electrical system ........

How?

87Delta wrote:
........ It has to charge that battery up as it gets used from the audio equipment along with the main starting one if needed.

The electrical system does not charge the battery. The alternator charges the battery?

How does an extra battery put an extra strain on the electrical system?

87Delta wrote:
........ what I meant by electrical system was the alternator, battery, etc

How does the act of charging one, two, or ten, extra batteries, put an extra strain on any part of the electrical system?

We shall see.

87Delta wrote:
88 Coupe wrote:
How many amps are being sent from the alternator to the batteries?

How many, if there was only one battery?

........ So the alternator is trying to power the stereo system and also charging the battery or batteries all at once. Creates a strain on the charging system.

For two, or more, it will depend on their states of charge. the lower one will get a higher percentage until they are equal, or fully charged.

In any event, they will be charged, on an as needed basis, using any current available after powering all active electrical circuits.

Your "strain", is still not possible.

andrewk wrote:
........ if you are using 'max output', and most of the draw is going to stereo or other accessories, then it could strain other components like a PCM, and cause it to throw a code or trip the CEL ........

In that case, as 87 Delta said, anything the alternator cannot supply is taken from the battery. If the battery goes flat, it will be a different topic.

87Delta wrote:
andrewk wrote:

Not saying a big increase ........

No strain = no increase. A reduction is very likely since the reserve capacity has been significantly increased.

Your confusion came from the "blown fuses" 88delta88 alluded to. They were not caused by his extra battery, and therefore your original comment was baseless.

Upside is, we have all learned from the discussion it caused.

Norm

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:36 am 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

88 Coupe wrote:
88delta88 wrote:
........ No problems other than blown fuses ........

Another instigation?

The blown fuses were instigated by myself turning the volume up too high, but no instigatory undertones implied.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/88delta88
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:49 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

88delta88 wrote:
........ The blown fuses were instigated by myself turning the volume up too high ........

What circuits blew fuses? You know, the fuses that were not instigatees.

Norm

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:00 am 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

I have 2x30A fuses in paralell 8" from my main battery on the power wire running to the rear battery. Every so often (happened to me 3 times in 3 years), when I play the stereo extrordinarily loud, the fuse will break.

I will not notice, since the stereo still runs on the charge from the rear battery, until the volts start dropping in the trunk on my voltgauge, and I then know my fuse has quit again.

I thought about upping the fuse value, or adding a third 30A fuse in line, but I think 60A does my needs for the most part. Better safe than sorry! A cicuit breaker might be an idea for a boring day.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:00 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

30 amp seems a little bit low. You can easily get away with a 50 or 60. I used a 50 amp 12V circuit breaker (was free) for when I had my set-up going.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:14 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Just a thought, but it seems like we've moved pretty far away from the big three question we started with.... maybe we could move the most recent posts to a "one battery vs. two or more batteries" topic? This is an interesting discussion, but it seems misplaced. Then again, I haven't been here very long and I'm not a moderator 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:09 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

88delta88 wrote:
I have 2x30A fuses in paralell 8" from my main battery on the power wire running to the rear battery. Every so often (happened to me 3 times in 3 years), when I play the stereo extrordinarily loud, the fuse will break.

I will not notice, since the stereo still runs on the charge from the rear battery, until the volts start dropping in the trunk on my voltgauge, and I then know my fuse has quit again.

I thought about upping the fuse value, or adding a third 30A fuse in line, but I think 60A does my needs for the most part. Better safe than sorry! A cicuit breaker might be an idea for a boring day.

You should be fine with more. I got a 150a fuse for the main power cable which goes to a distribution block, and the block has 60a fuses for each line. Plenty of protection, but not overkill, no such thing. :lol:
So far I only blew one of the 60a fuses.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:32 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Ilovemy98 wrote:
........ it seems like we've moved pretty far away from the big three question we started with ........

I agree with moving blatantly off topic (hijacks) discussions to a new thread. Problem is, trying to define the realistic borders of a topic. If you limit it too much, the interest is lost followed by the thread.

In this case, the subject has not changed, but is covering more of the original subject than might have been expected. Basically, the wires go to ground, the alternator, and a battery, If a fuse or an auxiliary battery might improve it, it should be part of the same topic.

The problem I see, is when a new guy does a site search before posting a question. The same latitude that makes for our productive discussions, creates problems when he (or I) do a subject search.

Ilovemy98 wrote:
........ maybe we could move the most recent posts to a "one battery vs. two or more batteries" topic? ........

As far as I noticed, batteries were peripheral to Basic three, and were dealt with as such.

Ilovemy98 wrote:
........ This is an interesting discussion, but it seems misplaced ........

Is it that you do not normally witness the freedom to discuss, any outside factors and their cause and effect as they relate to a subject?

The subject is a tricky one, and I think such decisions should be left to the mods, since the make the big bucks.

Now that I think about this post, it should be in its own thread.

Norm

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:57 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

87Delta wrote:
88delta88 wrote:
I have 2x30A fuses in parallel 8" from my main battery .......... .......... but I think 60A does my needs for the most part ........

30 amp seems a little bit low. You can easily get away with a 50 or 60 ........

Doesn't he already have 60 amps?

GraveReaper0 wrote:
........ I got a 150a fuse for the main power cable which goes to a distribution block, and the block has 60a fuses for each line. Plenty of protection, but not overkill, no such thing ........

Are you saying, a fuse cannot be too big for the circuit it is protecting?

Norm

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:58 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Good call, Norm. I thought about some of that after I posted. Would it make sense or is it possible to make the two battery disscussion something that would be easier to find for those looking for information on that subject? Sorry, done with that tangent... back to the matter at hand...

88Delta88, I have a similar setup to Gravereaper's, except with slightly smaller fuses. I have a 100 amp fuse near the battery and twin 30 amp fuses on my distribution block, one for each amp and have never had any problems. I've never had a fuse blow. However, if blowing a fuse every once in a while doesn't bother you, don't worry about it. At least you know you are protected!

-Carl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:17 pm 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

87Delta wrote:
30 amp seems a little bit low. You can easily get away with a 50 or 60. I used a 50 amp 12V circuit breaker (was free) for when I had my set-up going.

Although I am running 2 - 30A fuses, I am not limited to 30A. In parallel, the two 30A fuses actually allow 60A of current to flow through them.

Ilovemy98 wrote:
..... if blowing a fuse every once in a while doesn't bother you, don't worry about it. At least you know you are protected!

I dont beleive larger fuses allow less resistance on the circuit (can someone verify this?) so, I only fuse for the maximum amount of power I am drawing at any one time. I dont mind changing a couple 30A's once in a blue moon.

Last edited by 88delta88 on Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:22 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

^ Although it'd probably be easier and cheaper to replace one fuse...
I'd have to disagree, I believe the larger fuse would be less resistance compared to the two smaller fuses....it is a weak point in your system. I can't say for sure, but just by comparing my ANL 100amp fuse to an AGU 60amp....I'll have to measure the resistance some time when I get a chance.

I have to add that in general...the fuse is a weakpoint...it's what it's meant to do.... :lol: Probably wouldn't make a considerable difference in your systems performance to upgrade to one large fuse...other than the fact that it would be cheaper and easier to replace as said above...

And it certainly is possible to use too large of a fuse, the fuse size depends on what the wire can safely handle without causing a fire (not cool), not how much the amplifier peak current draw is--which is what decides what wire size/gauge you use in the first place. You also want to fuse the smaller wires if you're stepping down with a distribution block, which most dist. blocks have built in.

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next