It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 3 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:53 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

GraveReaper0 wrote:

30?

But the output of the HU is 50, so its gotta take more then 30. And what do you got? A link maybe to the specs, how much with shipping to chicago?

It's so damn oldschool, I haven't been able to find anything on it. :lol: It might take me a couple days to find it, moving 1000 miles away does that. I'd prolly let it go 10 shipped, I don't need it. I'll try and find it and see if it worked. It was actin a little bit funky when we pulled it out of my friends 70 something caddy :lol:

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:59 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

You're looking at peak ratings...which mean absolutely nothing.

The head unit is 18W RMS x 4

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:38 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

87Delta wrote:
GraveReaper0 wrote:

30?

But the output of the HU is 50, so its gotta take more then 30. And what do you got? A link maybe to the specs, how much with shipping to chicago?

It's so damn oldschool, I haven't been able to find anything on it. :lol: It might take me a couple days to find it, moving 1000 miles away does that. I'd prolly let it go 10 shipped, I don't need it. I'll try and find it and see if it worked. It was actin a little bit funky when we pulled it out of my friends 70 something caddy :lol:

10 buks for an amp that'll do the job, sure! :D As long as it wont be DOA.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:29 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

All I did for my audio(which I'm very pleased with the results)was I kept the front 4inch and 6x9's running off the HU, Got a set of 12's and a mono block, set them up in parallel at 2 ohms! Pounds nicely! I guess you can call that "Traditional". I dont like the fronts pounding in my face, that's what the 6x9's and subs are for. Fronts just add highend definition and balance. Ones music genre of chioce is also in question when it comes to sound. 400 Watts to the subs is plenty for me. Now if your into audio comps then do whats needed! You could probably get away with just powering a sub for less money and the result would be roughly the same.

I'm running all Pioneer!

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:14 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Erroneous Restrictionism! wrote:
All I did for my audio(which I'm very pleased with the results)was I kept the front 4inch and 6x9's running off the HU, Got a set of 12's and a mono block, set them up in parallel at 2 ohms! Pounds nicely! I guess you can call that "Traditional". I dont like the fronts pounding in my face, that's what the 6x9's and subs are for. Fronts just add highend definition and balance. Ones music genre of chioce is also in question when it comes to sound. 400 Watts to the subs is plenty for me. Now if your into audio comps then do whats needed! You could probably get away with just powering a sub for less money and the result would be roughly the same.

I'm running all Pioneer!

I got that right now, but instead of a mono bl0okc, each sub has its own 1000watt kenwood.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:38 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

GraveReaper0 wrote:

I got that right now, but instead of a mono bl0okc, each sub has its own 1000watt kenwood.

How big are your subs for you to run that much power to them?...Are they at 2 ohms or 4 ohms?

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:57 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

There are so many different ways to approach getting good sound in a vehicle. Some say, and I would agree, that the front speakers are incredibly important and should set the sound stage for your music and the rear speakers are mostly for rear fill.... when you go to a concert, the music is in front of you! However, you should definitely set yours up in such a way that it makes you happy. With such small speakers up front, you'll definitely want to cut the low frequencies to them, as others have already said. I'd look into the possibility of maybe some kick panel speakers in the front doors, or maybe a set of components with the woofer down below and the tweeter mounted in your factory dash location, but that's an idea for down the road. You'll definitely find that your music will sound better with an amp running your speakers, partially because the amplifier itself will give them cleaner power, but also because the speaker wire you run will be much better than the factory wiring that you'd most likely be using if you use the deck to power them. If you do run an amp, check to see if you can turn off the internal amplifier on the deck. I know the deck in my 98 does, but the one in my van doesn't. That will cut down on excess heat in the dash and allow your deck to focus on getting clean signal to the preouts and eliminate the possibility of a short from a speaker output that's not connected to anything (I know this should not be an issue, but it's worth saying). If you only amplify one set of your speakers, I'd run the amp to the front speakers and cut the lows and let your deck power the 6x9s. I know that's not what everyone else is saying, but look into it a little more and you'll see what I mean. There are a multitude of places to read about stereo imaging, but Crutchfield has a fairly basic overview that might be helpful here. However, it sounds like you have different goals in mind for your system than I do, so feel free to ignore all this :-) I've got a 4-channel amp powering the four speakers in my 98 and a mono amp on my sub (just one!) but I'm using just the deck to power the four speakers in my van with an amp on the subs (soon to be just one). The key is not to have the rear speakers overpower the fronts, or it just sounds weird. Good luck!!

-Carl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:54 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Erroneous Restrictionism! wrote:
GraveReaper0 wrote:

How big are your subs for you to run that much power to them?...Are they at 2 ohms or 4 ohms?

12" Alpines Type R 2ohm

Ilovemy98 thx for the advice. I think I'm gonna run 3 amps/ a small 2 channel for the fronts another 2 channel for the rears, and a mono block for the sub. Or maybe I can get a 4 channel for the front and mount 2 4-6" speakers in the doors?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:15 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Gravereaper, any time, I just hope it was helpful! To save some space and reduce the amount of power cabling in the trunk, you could just get a 4 channel to run both the fronts and the rears, just be sure you buy one that has individual crossovers for the front and rear (most should). If you do decide to put some speakers in the doors, you may want to think about components with the tweeter mounted up where your little speakers are, or you could run both pairs of fronts off the same amp, but use bass blockers to limit the lower frequency to the smaller speakers. Most amps you look at should be 2-ohm stereo stable, which would allow you to run two 4 ohm speakers off each channel. This might not be ideal, but it would work. The big variable is how much you are willing to spend on this project. You could, if you want, run a 4 channel for your fronts, a 2 channel for your rears, and a mono amp for your subs, but that can get pricey and you'll have a TON of wiring running throughout the car. Can you hide that much wire? You'll have your massive power cable running down on side (assuming you are only using one)... and three sets of RCAs and up to four speaker wires running down the other.... it gets hard to get all that under the trim! The big thing is to make it sound the way YOU want it... what I like and what you like may be very different. Have fun with it!
-Carl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:34 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Question about 4 channel amps. Since I have seperate preouts for the fronts and rear, will a 4 channel amp have two seperate rca inputs??

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:44 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Yup! Mine has two sets of inputs as well as a set of outputs if I want to get crazy and run yet another amp... I'd keep an eye open for that, just in case you want expand.

-Carl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:33 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

yea that shouldn't be a big problem. 99% of the new amps have input and output.

Page 3 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3