It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
Do you Solder your connections or just tape?
 SOLDER  58%  58%  [ 11 ]
 Tape  11%  11%  [ 2 ]
 Butt Connectors  32%  32%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 19

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:24 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

I was just wondering what you guys did to join your wire connections in things such as cd players, remote starts, leds, keyless entry systems, alarms etc. I always solder but it seems everytime that a friend or I buy a car it's always some halfassed tape job. And there is almost always at least a couple of exposed wires.

I personally solder then tape enough so there's no chance of it getting exposed.

-1990 Nissan 240SX Winter Project.- coming along nicely
1991 Honda Civic- New reliable daily driver

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:20 am 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

ALWAYS solder wire connections. That way you'll have peace of mind that nothing is going to come undone and cause a problem.

My dad is an electrical engineer, and taught me to do it right, but my friends dad taught me WHY to do it right. He did the typical half assed wiring job to an amplifier under the passenger seat when he was young. He came back to his car with the interior burned right up. Fire started under the passenger seat, and pretty well incinerated the whole interior. Write off.

There are many good reasons to spend an extra 10 minutes with the stereo wiring.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/88delta88
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:21 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

I solder, then tape

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:13 pm 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

I solder, then use heat shrink tubing- I personally hate electrical tape for protecting wires... I use it only when putting loom on, or bundling wires.

Andrew

Mark Twain wrote:
A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation.
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:21 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

If I am putting in a cd player I just tape it off and make sure there are no open wires that could short out later on. I don't like to solder much, I'd rather use the butt connections.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:15 pm 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

Forgot to add... most places like best buy, etc, will just use crimp connectors when installing a stereo... They look like wire nuts, but are crimp on instead.

Speaking of which... When I get a new old car, I always hate finding wire nuts everywhere... Why not just do the damn job correctly and never worry about it? But I digress...

Andrew

Mark Twain wrote:
A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation.
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:35 pm 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

andrewk wrote:
...Why not just do the damn job correctly and never worry about it?...

There are a lot of people who dont know how to do it correctly, or that there is anything wrong with crimps, wirenuts and the like. If the stereo turns on after the job is done, it was done right... Right? :-)

http://www.cardomain.com/id/88delta88
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:17 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

If you crimp the way I crimp....no need to solder... :lol:

For small wiring, quick and easy, butt connectors work great. It's what I've used for every stereo install I've done. Although I was considering heat shrink and soldering for when I had tried installing that pioneer (still sitting in the box), I ended up using butt connectors.

Now bigger connections, 4 gauge and up, solder terminal and a solder slug is what I am going to use from now on. Hard to get a good crimp on terminals of that size, unless you pay a lot of money for a heavy duty crimper. But in the end, the solder and heat shrink looks much better than a crimp.

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:23 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

I work at a Motorola Service Center and am a Certified Electronics Technician. I have known how to solder for 30 years and that is the way we repair electronic equipment, HOWEVER, our install department uses mechanical crimps exclusively with the exception of sometimes the primary 12vdc from the battery ( the big 30 amp inline fuses). They have had a good reputation for over 50 years. Our company has serviced many law enforcement agencies over the years and the install department does many, many, many cop cars. The lesson? Do either one the right way and it lasts, although I still hate electrical tape because it gets sticky and nasty with age, they do use it occasionaly over the few solders they do make. I would rather they use heat shrink. It's the best and cleanest way I think.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:25 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Brando wrote:
If you crimp the way I crimp....no need to solder... :lol:

hell yeah! i use wire butts, and always give a good tug to check the crimp, then tape. a nice pair of crimpers helps too

Currently driving: 2004 Sentra 1.8S
 Profile Personal album  

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]