It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 3 of 4 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Is your stereo the one from the factory?
 Yes  50%  50%  [ 17 ]
 No  50%  50%  [ 17 ]
Total votes : 34

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:25 am 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

I have a pioneer DEH 6700 or 6800, with the OEL display, mp3, 50wx4, all the goodies... Much improvement over stock, Then I put rockford fosgate 6x9s in the rear deck, cut rockford fosgate 6.5 powers into the front doors and put kenwood tweeters in the dash to replace the stockers.. Put a pair of cheap rockford subs (10'') in the back with an older power acoustic amp, and my stereo rocks out. It works really well for the music I listen too, but I think I am going to replace the 2 10s with elemental designs subs.

Mark Twain wrote:
A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation.
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:42 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

I have a Coustic RX-782 Tape player head unit. Stock 6X9's with DHD 6 1/2's in the doors (well as soon as I cut adapters) My stereo is low budget :laughing: It was entirely free. We went and pulled the head unit out of a car at a junk yard and the speakers were free.

Still have the stock unit. It's up in an attic along with all the other parts of my car. All I need from it is measurements so I can make an adapter. Prolly will put an M-80 in it when I'm done....

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:41 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Well, just picked up a Panasonic CQ-C1100U today from a pawn shop. Not top of the line, but it's a step up from the Coustic. Yes, it does work, and works great. Going to be purchasing some other stuff there soon from the same pawn shop. Lots of good car audio shit there.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:47 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

yea pawn shops are good with audio equipment. I bought a Kenwood receiver and 5.1 surround sound for my room for $65 about a year ago, still works like new. Whoever pawned it must have been real desperate :wink: well, either that or its stolen.

Currently driving: 2004 Sentra 1.8S
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:31 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Brianritchie21787 wrote:
yea pawn shops are good with audio equipment. I bought a Kenwood receiver and 5.1 surround sound for my room for $65 about a year ago, still works like new. Whoever pawned it must have been real desperate :wink: well, either that or its stolen.

Well when druggies need their fix and they are out of cash they pull their stereo's and pawn them. Then we buy them for half the price of new. It's a win-win situation.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:58 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

Brianritchie21787 wrote:
stock radios are very reliable.... if i had a newer car with a relativly modern am/fm/cd player with a couple pre amps, i could rock it stock... but listening to the delco in my '84 for the first time was probably the most horrifying, disgusting thing i have ever heard come from four speakers. Not to mention its about the size of a toaster. :roll:

Yes, this is what I have done with my Intrigue.
Saw no need in replacing the double DIN Bose stereo, with CD, Cassette, and 12 CD Changer. I bought a PAC OEM-1, which simply plugs inbetween the stock radio harness and the radio, giving you two pairs of RCA preouts and a remote wire for turning the amps on.

Today, I actually just relocated it, was getting some noise from the other electronics in the car. Just played around with it until the noise went away. Sounds GREAT now!

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:56 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

87Delta wrote:
Brianritchie21787 wrote:

Well when druggies need their fix and they are out of cash they pull their stereo's and pawn them. Then we buy them for half the price of new. It's a win-win situation.

How much did that Panasonic CQ-C1100U cost you?

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:38 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Like $30-40 I think. Like $85 retail, so not too bad. There was a Kenwood I woulda bought but the fucker kept skipping every second or so playing a CD. I'm sure it isn't the best head unit out there, but its better then my AM/FM!

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 10:26 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

I still have the original delco am/fm tape player in my '92 delta. The receiver died a few years ago which doesn't matter much as I use an mp3 player with a tape-adapter, but think I'm about ready to slap something new in.

I'd like something simple with radio and an audio-in jack for external audio devices but I don't know the first step towards selecting a replacement. I don't know if there are any generally important or obvious things that I need to consider (speaker limitations, connectors, quirks, compatibility, watts, etc?) with my Olds.

Is there a decent guide for this kind of thing or should I just chat with someone at a stereo shop?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:29 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

No matter what aftermarket headunit you decide to go with, you are going to need a GM installation kit, a GM wiring harness, and an antenna adapter. Since you mentioned that you listen to an mp3 player, I suggest the Dual XDMR7700. It is the only deck that I have come across that comes with an mp3 jack included with the deck. Otherwise you are going to have to get a mp3 adapter.
Stereo shops usually stock higher end products. I suggest you go to your local Best Buy or Circuit City, and talk to someone in the car audio section. They will know what to tell you as far as wattages and such. Let them know what you need, and don't let them try to talk you into something else. You could also try Wal-Mart. There is noone trained specifically in car stereos to answer detailed questions, so you'd have to read the product cards to get the information you need.
Hope that helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:06 pm 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

gunmetal88 wrote:
No matter what aftermarket headunit you decide to go with, you are going to need a GM installation kit, a GM wiring harness, and an antenna adapter. Since you mentioned that you listen to an mp3 player, I suggest the Dual XDMR7700. It is the only deck that I have come across that comes with an mp3 jack included with the deck. Otherwise you are going to have to get a mp3 adapter.
Stereo shops usually stock higher end products. I suggest you go to your local Best Buy or Circuit City, and talk to someone in the car audio section. They will know what to tell you as far as wattages and such. Let them know what you need, and don't let them try to talk you into something else. You could also try Wal-Mart. There is noone trained specifically in car stereos to answer detailed questions, so you'd have to read the product cards to get the information you need.
Hope that helps.

In my experience, they call it dual, cuz you will end up buying it twice. It may come with an adapter, but I would much rather buy a good head unit, and foot the bill for the adapter.

Andrew

Mark Twain wrote:
A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation.
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:15 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

They may not be as good a deck as others, but it has what he wants. I dont think he is looking to spend alot of money, just a deck thats a little better than his factory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:13 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Thank you both for your input, I at least have a place to start now. The Dual XDMR7700 seems pretty decent for the price. All I really want is a radio again and a way to use my mp3 player without a tape adapter so this is a possibility. It is a bit gaudy for my taste though but I'm looking more towards function than form in this case.

I assume when you say adapter you are referring to something like this. Something like that might work for me too if I come across something more simple and rugged than the Dual XD....

I'll spend more time familiarizing myself with the ins and outs of car stereo wizardry before making a final choice. Again, you were both a big help, thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:41 pm 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

gunmetal88 wrote:
They may not be as good a deck as others, but it has what he wants. I dont think he is looking to spend alot of money, just a deck thats a little better than his factory.

And that is why they are sucessful. Nothing wrong with that at all. So long as it does what you need it to, it can say "fubar2000" on it!! :lol: :lol: 8-) :wink:

Andrew

Mark Twain wrote:
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:02 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

What kind of MP3 player is it? Is it an iPod?

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

Page 3 of 4 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next