It is currently Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: How's this audio set up
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 4:41 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Heres a few pics I drew up of what I want my sub set up to look like. I plan to dynamatt the whole floor and lay down a particle board so I can run the wires under it. I was going to make 2 boxes to hide my spare and my tools and I was to use that back hole to put my subs. I'm going to put a port in the back so I can get the bass through the back. The pictures look like crap but should give you a good idea what it could look like.

1972 Olds Cutlass- Parts car
www.cardomain.com/id/psycodiver69
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 6:49 pm 
TOC Mechanic
TOC Mechanic

Jake, doesn't look like a bad idea. Heres a few thoughts on things I'd change if it were something I was setting up. I wouldnt port the box into the backseat area. Instead I'd build a sealed enclosure and run a higher wattage amp. Tuning a ported box is a bit complicated, especially with the slant box you're describing. Invest in subs which perform well in a sealed enclosure. That way, if you ever need to pull the box, you wont have to worry about the port. A ported box will go a bit lower than a sealed box, but a sealed box will reproduce tight bass better than a ported box, with less resonance. A sealed box requires more power to run the same subs than a ported box does. Remember, bass is non directional. The bass doesn't come out of the port, its merely an air port which tunes the box to the right air space, and offers a place for the air from inside the box to "vent" when a bass note hits. If you build it this way, make SURE your trunk seals tightly, as it will vibrate the trunklid like a MF. It might be a better idea to turn the box around and face the subs towards the back of the rear seat, rather than away from it. Just don't get them too close to the trunk divider, or they will be canceled out by the soundwaves bouncing off the divider and cancelling out the subs. If you're planning on running the wires under the particle board, make sure you put some type of spacer (1" board or something) between the board and the trunk floor so the wires dont get crushed....just my .02 cents

69 Olds Cutlass S
70 Olds Vista Cruiser Wagon
72 Olds Cutlass S, 12:1 470 stroker, JM40 solid lifter cam, TH400, 3500 10" PTC stall, 4.11 posi
74 442 455/TH350
79 Cutlass 455/TH375 sleeper
'97 GMC Sierra Ext Cab 9" lift w/ 37's
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 7:06 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

And here's my .02...

"The only time that firing the woofers toward you would be recommended would be if you are building a 'wall of subs' behind you, or if you are putting subwoofers in a truck behind your seat."

You'll want to check the articles we have here at TOC:
http://www.wavenom.com/brando/forum/viewforum.php?f=3
(That is if you haven't already)

And I would have to agree with stroker on the sealed boxes.....ported enclosures are a bitch to tune and build, and you also have a higher chance of bottoming your subwoofer out if you don't have it tuned right (you'll also want a amp with a subsonic filter for a ported enclosure sub). I have a piece of box building software called BassBox Pro. It helps a little....but I would still recommend sealed enclosure with proper bracing....you'll want to put a divider inbetween the two subs....to make two chambers (one for each sub so if one blows or is disconnected...the other sub won't suddenly take on double its volume)

Do you know what subs you're getting yet?
I highly recommend these places to order from (that is if you're gonna order online)
http://www.discountsjungle.com
http://www.millionbuy.com
and of course http://www.sounddomain.com/shop
You really can't beat SoundDomain, since they have there 105% Lowest Price Policy...they'll match anyones price (depending on the store, they won't price match eTronics.com) They will price match discounts jungle though....and they got some damn LOW prices....highly recommended!

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 8:57 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

I was thinking the same thing about the ports but the more I think about it, the less I think I need a port. Right now I have 2 12" Rockford Punch Zs and I did have that powered by a 300 watt 2 channel USAccoustics amp I know it don't sound like much but that combo you to throw out some great beats (mix that with the rest of my old system). I'm not sure if I'm going to keep the amp though, I might use a 500wat 2 channel and if and when the subs give out I'll buy better ones. I was going to give a good amount of space between the particle board and the trunk floor. Just to let everyone know I do install audio systems on the side (business kinda died when I left high school though) but I never had to do anything this custom. I'm going to have to build boxes for my 6x9s too since the sub box might be interfere with the speaker location

1972 Olds Cutlass- Parts car
www.cardomain.com/id/psycodiver69
 Profile Personal album  

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]