It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 8:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Speaker wire question
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:36 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Whats up OC members, I just upgraded my sound system (really like it a lot) and was wondering if replacing stock wire with a higher "quality" wire will show any improvements in SPL's or sound quality. Im guessing it doesn't, but Im just wondering that some of you may know from experience, and if it helps just a little then maybe its a worthwhile investment.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:41 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

unless your wire is damaged dont waste your time.......from my experience it never showed any SQ gains of any kind upgrading, the only time i'd bother is if im running amps to them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:18 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

I wouldn't do it either. The stock speaker wire is fine. Even if you were to replace it, you wouldn't see that much of a difference.

- Holley 750 Double pumper
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:47 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

I am running amps for all my speakers but even like that if it sounds fine right now and if we all believe its not worth it then It probably isnt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:51 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

Yea, probably not worth it, unless you're running 200wrms to your speakers, then it might be worth upgrading the wire.

I always run new wire when I install my amps.

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:56 pm 
TOC Mechanic
TOC Mechanic

I'd have to agree to disagree......it all depends on the size of the wire you're currently running......if you're running an extremely thin wire (say for example 22-24 ga) then I'd definetly upgrade to a thicker,heavier duty wire.........it's all a matter of resistance....less resistance (aka. larger diameter wire) will produce a better flow of current to the speakers vs. an extremely thin wire. Picture running water thru a garden hose, then thru a fire hose.........or better yet, would you use a cheap azz set of RCA's from your deck to the amps, or spend the $$$ for a good quality set? Same principle.........on a stock deck and speakers you probably will see little difference, but on a single or multi amp system you'd definetly see better response and clarity........just my .02 cents....

69 Olds Cutlass S
70 Olds Vista Cruiser Wagon
72 Olds Cutlass S, 12:1 470 stroker, JM40 solid lifter cam, TH400, 3500 10" PTC stall, 4.11 posi
74 442 455/TH350
79 Cutlass 455/TH375 sleeper
'97 GMC Sierra Ext Cab 9" lift w/ 37's
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:54 am 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

strokercutlass wrote:
I'd have to agree to disagree......it all depends on the size of the wire you're currently running......if you're running an extremely thin wire (say for example 22-24 ga) then I'd definetly upgrade to a thicker,heavier duty wire.........it's all a matter of resistance....less resistance (aka. larger diameter wire) will produce a better flow of current to the speakers vs. an extremely thin wire. Picture running water thru a garden hose, then thru a fire hose.........or better yet, would you use a cheap azz set of RCA's from your deck to the amps, or spend the $$$ for a good quality set? Same principle.........on a stock deck and speakers you probably will see little difference, but on a single or multi amp system you'd definetly see better response and clarity........just my .02 cents....

I agree completely with you in theory. My only thought on it is that there comes a point where increasing the size of the wire won't help the speaker, because the speaker is at its performance limit. In automotive speakers, I would say this performance limit is low compared to home theater type of audio. I believe you can go quite a ways in the car audio aftermarket before you reach the limit of most stock wire, if it's in good shape.

To follow your analogy- It wouldn't make sense to use a fire hose, when all you have is a garden hose nozzle. :lol:

Mark Twain wrote:
A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation.
 Profile Personal album  

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]