It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:28 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

I was looking on Crutchfield and they don't have any 6x9's listed for my 1994 Olds 98, I talked to a rep and he said it was a fitment issue. So I asked about components in the rear and he frowned upon it; stating that people would hardly be back there. I briefly had some VR3 elite series 6x9's and they were better than stock and I was happy for 2 seconds, then I realized they were all treble and no bass and sucked over all(They were also way too big). I guess crutchfield is all about 6.5's for my car. I need some guidance.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Re: 6 x 9
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:08 am 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

If 6.5's are what fit, and you don't want to modify the deck, That's what you'll want to go with.

My research indicates that 6.5's fit the rear deck and the front doors, and 4" fit the rear doors.

"All Treble and no Bass" will be an equalization problem with most any speaker in a sound system. A speaker that doesn't push much bass needs to have the treble turned down to balance the sound.

If you're running the stock head unit, that could be part of the problem, as it probably pushes 6 watts RMS, or something small like that. My "50x4" Pioneer is something like 22 Watts RMS, which is more capable of pushing aftermarket speakers with poly cones and they will sound better.

After I wrecked my car, I put the stereo in my Wife's Honda- 6.5's in the rear deck, 5.25 in the doors, and a Pioneer DEH-6500 (about 6 years old). No amp (yet), No Subwoofer (yet) but it sounds great once tuned.

So my advice is to get what fits. 6.5's can be great speakers. If I were going to buy speakers, and didn't want an Amp, I'd likely be buying the 50 dollar Pioneer 2 way speakers. They will probably be more "boomy" than component speakers designed to be used in conjunction with subwoofers and amplifiers.

Mark Twain wrote:
A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation.
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:22 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

my car takes 6x9's in the rear. it was being pushed by a unit that had 14W RMS. Took it back too. I want some 2 way 6x9's is they will fit without touching

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:56 am 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

speaker boxes are ugly, but do help immensely with frequency reproduction. After I put my polk 6x9's into boxes, the low frequency response was much much better. You might even be able to work the boxes into the trunk side of the rear deck in a stealthy manner.

Also think about a dedicated full range amplifier for the speakers. "Real" amps are much more capable of supplying the power required for lower frequencies than a head unit amp.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/88delta88
 Profile Personal album  

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]