It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Cassette Deck Issue
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:31 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

About a year and a half ago I was talented enough to have my Intrigue decide to say, "No!" to cassette tapes and I have had one stuck in there ever since. I've resigned myself to the reality that I will probably have to get in there somehow and get the tape out and/or replace the cassette deck.

I have the factory installed stereo still in my car. Here are the specifics-
AM/FM Stereo with seek scan, auto-reverse cassette, clock, 4-speaker sound system, and rear mounted antenna

Options she also came with-
12-Disc Compact Disc Changer, trunk mounted and 6-speaker dimensional sound system

Does anyone have experience working with this type of factory installed piece and be able to give me a little help with where to start on this project or suggest a book or guide to use? I stupidly tried to get out the cassette with a screw driver at one point and in hindsight I think I made the problem worse. Additionally, is it possible just replace the cassette deck without replacing the whole system?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Re: Cassette Deck Issue
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:27 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

I had no idea cassette tapes were still being used.... :shock: :lol:

Haven't had any experience with the cassette portion of these units, have worked on the CD carriage though. If you want to try digging into it yourself...I could probably set up some pictures of how to take it apart...etc.

Is the cassette itself valuable/needed? The cassette portion of the stereo is probably available, but would most likely cost more than a good used stereo.

I reread your description...you don't have a CD player up front?
If so, then THIS is the unit you want.

If you want to upgrade to CD up front, then THIS is the one you want. It'll plug right in, will still work fine with the changer.

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:49 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

:D They are when you're using it as an adaptor for an mp3 player. Having to use one that goes through the radio is really starting to grate on my nerves.

The tape itself is just the adaptor and not all that important. I suppose if I could figure a way to make things so I could listen to my mp3 player without a ton of static I wouldn't even need it but I'm not sure such a system is feasible for an Intrigue.

As for the CD player- yeah, I have the truck-mounted 12 CD changer in my car. The one in the first picture looks spot-on to what I have right now... minus the adaptor sticking out.

I'll take whatever help you're willing to give. I've been fiddling with it for over a year and it's getting a little ridiculous.

Thanks! :)

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:09 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

Haven't had much time to post, got to get to bed soon here to wake up at 5AM...

Have you actually taken the stereo out of the car? Or just fiddling with it still mounted in the dash?

Mason is about an hour away from Ann Arbor...

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:28 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

It's still in the dash. I've looked around it before, trying to see how one would even start getting into the dash but haven't had much luck.

Profile Personal album  

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]