It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Installing a Head Unit
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:31 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Hello all

My brother just turned 16 and we need to intstall an HU in his '88 Delta 88. I have no idea if the dash needs to come off or anything like that. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks,

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:48 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

Ah...very familiar with this dash...
The top mid section, the part above the glove box and such (has "Oldsmobile" lettering on it and A/C vents) comes off first. There are four screws holding it in place near the top of it, right underneath the edge of the dash top. Remove those screws, and then you remove that panel. It helps to shift it all the way to the last gear, and you slide that rubber grommet around the steering column forward. Then it's pretty easy to remove that panel.

Now you need to remove the lower part of the dash to get rid of the radio. Removing the A/C vent section of the dash, you revealed about six screws I believe. Remove those screws. Open both front doors, you'll notice that there also is one screw on each side of the dash, remove those too. Now, look below and you'll also notice four screws holdiing the lower part of the dash in place. Remove those screws too, two on each side (passenger and driver). Now, you think you could just remove it, but not quite yet. You also need to remove the "plastic" screws from inside the glove box. There are about 5 of the plastic screws in there that hold the upper portion of the inside of the glove box in place (it's a black panel). Remove all 5 of these screws....you just unscrew them and you can pull them out...they're like an anchor type thing. Once you remove all five screws, pull the plastic black panel down inside the glove box. Now that all the screws are removed and the glove box won't get in the way of pulling the lower dash off.....pull it out. The whole lower dash should be off now, it may take a little maneuvering because of the glove box...I recommend you also take the glove box light bulb out of the socket so you don't run the battery down.

OK, so now you see the stock radio sitting there...four screws hold it in place...take the screws out, and pull the radio out, disconnect the antenna wire, the harness, and since you're installing an aftermarket radio, you'll most likely want to take those plastic adaptors that held the stock radio in place and use it on your aftermarket installation kit. Use an aftermarket to stock wiring harness...and put it all back together by following the directions backwards. :D

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:35 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

you forgot one thing, unplug the harness going to the ashtray.

"When they kick at your front door, how you gonna come, with your hands on your head, or on the trigger of your gun?" The Clash
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:26 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

86Delta wrote:
you forgot one thing, unplug the harness going to the ashtray.

Actually...I never unplug that....I just let it lie on the floor while I am installing stuff or messing around with something....

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:18 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Awesome, thanks a lot. I've done a few installs, mostly not knowing what needs to be taken off in what order etc...
This should be much easier thanks to your advice! I really appreciate it.

And as long as I'm on the topic, the speakers in the dash I may be upgrading. Do the covers just come off and expose them? Has anyone upgraded to 6.5"s. If so, where did you put them and how did you do it? I'd much rather put in some 6.5's but I don't really want to fiberglass.

Also, any secrets to getting through the firewall for the 4 guage power wire?

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:11 pm 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

Secret? no secret. I put Zero guage in my car from front to trunk.

Take it from the battery, and route it around to the driver's side by the firewall. Find the rubber grommet, and pop it out, run your cable through, and then put some expanding foam or something in the hole to waterproof it. Thats what I did.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/88delta88
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:36 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

sounds easy enough. The other installs I've done have been newer cars and it's been really difficult finding "accomodating" grommets.

Just trying to cover all bases before it gets warm enough out and I can actually work on it.

Thanks again,

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:03 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

i ran my 2 4 guage power wires through my firewall on the passengers side, i drilled new holes and put a grommet in, just take off the black plastic cover on the firewall on the passengers side, you'll find some clear metal to go through over there. as far as the 6.5's go, i have Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.5 components in my front doors but i had to make fiberglass pods to put them in. at one time i had 5.25's in the front doors just in the door panel, so that might be your best bet, i think 6.5's are too big to use without some kind of pod.

"When they kick at your front door, how you gonna come, with your hands on your head, or on the trigger of your gun?" The Clash
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:26 am 
TOC Mechanic
TOC Mechanic

I've also seen people adapt the door speaker pods offered on certain Pontiac Bonneville models with the higher end factory systems to Delta 88's and 98's..it didn't look too difficult,actually.

69 Olds Cutlass S
70 Olds Vista Cruiser Wagon
72 Olds Cutlass S, 12:1 470 stroker, JM40 solid lifter cam, TH400, 3500 10" PTC stall, 4.11 posi
74 442 455/TH350
79 Cutlass 455/TH375 sleeper
'97 GMC Sierra Ext Cab 9" lift w/ 37's
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 10:49 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Just wanted to say wow. Description was dead on down to the last screw. The HU went in with no problem using I think the Metra Kit. Looks great and is rock solid. Pretty easy install compared to other cars.

Again, thanks for the help!!!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]