It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 2 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:36 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

GraveReaper0 wrote:
so othe higher the output the better. What's a good output rating for something that will make your ears hurt when you really crank it up?

Ok, let me make it a little clearer. The strength of the signal won't make it louder (well, sometimes if the signal from the old head unit was really weak...like my Aiwa), what it does is the increased voltage keeps the clarity as the signal runs through that 16 ft interconnect cable. But a good preout voltage is 4 volts. Not only is the important, but the ohms of the preouts are important. It's the exact opposite, the higher the worse. My Clarion only has 300 ohm preouts...which is really good, less resistance for the signal to travel through = less distortion. Most of the brands I listed as top notch have good preout resistance ratings, especially eclipse and clarion. I've heard that Alpine actually doesn't have such good preouts, but I never reallly checked. Sony doesn't even dare list the spec because it sucks, as well as all the other mid-range/lower head units.
Higher preouts can also help prevent signal interference such as ground loop, but that's a whole different thing.

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

Page 2 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2