Post subject: Sound deadening
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:33 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Just found some info on this stuff:

http://www.mfmbp.com/peelseal/

And some prices:

http://www.rwc.org/u/web/rwcorg/cgi-local/catalog.cgi

I have my car at a friends house where it is having all of the rust cutout and repaired so I have the entire interior tore out of it (except for the dash). Once the rust on the floors and trunk area is fixed and I get the car back from paint I will be putting new carpet and such in. I had been looking for a cheaper solution to the absolutely ridiculous prices of Dynamat and others out there and after looking into this stuff, it seems to have the exact same characteristics as the big name stuff.
I have been told by a few people that some of the automotive sound deadening companies buy their stuff from the company that makes this roofing material and then just resells it.

That would surprise me as I have ordered samples from a few places (like www.b-quiet.com and another unmentioned source) and found that they both sell the same EXACT product even though they claim it to be "special" their company. And the one company offers it at a much cheaper price.

At any rate, I plan to stop by Lowe's this week and buy a roll of the Peal & Seal and see what it is made of.
With it being so cheap, I'll be able to cover my car 2-3 times. :)

Anyone else tried something similar?

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:32 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

Eh...I suppose you could do floors with that stuff, but I have heard a bunch of people (even people that live in our area..MI/OH) and the stuff has melted and made a huge mess during the summer.

Just letting ya know that. Email second skin audio, they have new stuff in production, and it's not the same stuff as peal n seal, the adhesive, material, and thickness is a lot different. Another thing about peal n seal, is it will give off an asphalt smell, other dampening materials do not (most of them).

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:23 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

I bought the sample kit from Second Skin Audio and to be honest, I'm just not sold on it.
The reason being is this: http://www.b-quiet.com/samples.html

Looks to be the EXACT same sample kit that I bought through Second Skin. Just cheaper.
And if so, IS a rubberized asphalt material like the Peal and Seal stuff.

I'm going to give the Peal and Seal stuff a try. From everything I've read the vapor given off by the asphalt is not noticeable. Heck, people use roofing tar for seam sealer on the inside of cars, and not to mention, the divider between the trunk and rear seat of my car is made from asphalt. In fact, most of the stock interior noise barriers have an asphalt coating.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:23 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

Alright, sounds like you're set on peal n seal then.
Here's a few tips:
Be sure to clean the surface real good before applying it, from what I have heard using peal n seal you must use a heat gun or it's just going to peal off, and thirdly....good luck! :)

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:44 am 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

Brando wrote:
Eh...I suppose you could do floors with that stuff, but I have heard a bunch of people (even people that live in our area..MI/OH) and the stuff has melted and made a huge mess during the summer.

Just letting ya know that. Email second skin audio, they have new stuff in production, and it's not the same stuff as peal n seal, the adhesive, material, and thickness is a lot different. Another thing about peal n seal, is it will give off an asphalt smell, other dampening materials do not (most of them).

TOC Admin
Brando

but you spoke so highly of it before Brando :lol:

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:49 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

On my lunch hour today I bought some of this Peal & Seal stuff to see how it would work.

It does have an asphalt/tar smell to it when you hold it up to your nose really close.

So the experiment for the day is leaving it in my car all afternoon with the windows rolled up and it parked in the sun. Hopefully that will give me some indication of how this product will act in a cars interior environment.

Seeing as how the '87 sits in the barn all the time and only comes out for cruising here and there, the heat might not be a concern.
I'll have to see.

Its definitely cheap though. $12.47 for a 6"x25' roll.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:31 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

73Delta88 wrote:
Brando wrote:

TOC Admin
Brando

but you spoke so highly of it before Brando :lol:

Yep, but that was during January, not until recently (during the hot summer) did people start saying it peels off and makes a mess...

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:30 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Did they install it during the winter?

The wrapper on the Peal & Seal says:

"Surface must be clean and moisture free. Apply above 50*F for proper adhesion"

Of course if they used a heat gun then that probably didn't matter.

I did let the product sit in my car for roughly 4 hours in the afternoon heat and only noticed a slight odor. Nothing really bad and it was gone as soon as the A/C was turned on. So I don't believe the odor thing is going to be a problem.

I'm doing another test here at the house over the next few days.

I took a piece of the Peal & Seal, cleaned off a piece of 1/8" metal with denatured alcohol, and then stuck the Peal & Seal to it. Seemed to hold on really well with just a little roller action.
But then I placed it outside where it will get a full on beating from the elements and direct sunlight. I have it sitting in a vertical position to try and simulate it being on a car door so that I can see if it is going to move around at all.

One thing I did notice is that after you peel it and stick it, you can't smell any odor.
So that is a good think. :)

Hopefully this will work out. If it does, I plan on putting 2-3 layers over the entire floor and trunk area and then using something like this over top of it : Heat insulation

Profile Personal album  

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]