It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: ground wire size
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:48 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

anyone out there that could help me out with a little advice......i have 2 twelve inch alpine Type R's and gotta 760 watt pioneer, i now need a ground wire from my batter to my amp...what gauge do i want?!?!?! if anyone has a good answer pllllllleaaaase email me at smell_face@hotmail.com or reply to this topic, thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:43 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Well for one, your ground wire just needs to ground to your body, doesn't need to go to the battery. And your power wire basicly denotes the size of your ground wire. What i typicly use in all the setups i use is a 4 gauge wire. It usually is enuff, although a 760w pioneer MIGHT... imfasus in MIGHT need a 2 gauge, never dealt with them so i can't give you an exact number. If it were me, id use a 4 gauge power wire/ground wire. Its kinda hard to tell until you hook it up, but you might also need a capaciter. Easiest way to tell is to run the system at full blast at night and see if your headlights dim, if they dim a teeny bit, don't worry about it, but if it is noticable *like mine, people thought i was a cop or something and moved out of my way :shock: * then you will need to invest in a cap.
I myself run an MTX 350w amp with 2 mtx 12"s a pioneer 100w amp that powers my 6x9"s and *ghettoly* rigged to my front speakers. Also in the loop is a 1 farad capaciter and a crossover *that isn't hooked up right now due to it wanting to act funny, pretty sure a bad connection inside on of the level adjusters *potentiometer for you technicle people**

Final Thought: Use 4 gauge, should be enuff, ground to the body, might want to look into upgrading your chassis ground from the battery itself to the body also, Kinda pointless having a 4 gauge ground wire to the body, but only a 10 gauge ground wire from the body to the battery. And maybe a Cap

1987 Oldsmobile Cutlass Salon w/t-tops - New car under construction
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:45 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

The power and ground wire need to be the same size. 8 gauge would work well.

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:23 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

hey, im also running 2 12" Type R's soon to add the 3rd (this weekend the box will be complete)

I have a clarion 1000 watt and anothe 400Watt.
using a RF 1.0 farad cap, lights still dim a little bit thou..

Anyway I am using 4 gauge.. i would like to upgrade the Battery to chasis ground sometime soon.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:35 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

Bassboy53 wrote:
Anyway I am using 4 gauge.. i would like to upgrade the Battery to chasis ground sometime soon.

Right...just remember to leave the stock ground wire there and add on a 4 gauge wire.

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]