It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 8:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 3 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:59 pm 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

Thought I'd give you guys an update on the never-ending story of my truck.

After quite a bit of phone tag and back and forth stuff, the guy agreed to give me $1,000.00 towards fixing the truck. Even if I used an engine from a junk yard with 100K + miles on it, this is not enough money to buy the engine and install it... but I'm willing to compromise because I'm so sick of dealing with this crap. I think I'm going to go with the AC-Delco Reman. engine. ($1775) I just cant see spending 800 or 900 dollars to install an engine that already has 100K on it.

We're supposed to meet sometime tomorrow and finish this... I insisted on a bank check from him and he said o.k. as long as I sign something that says that our dealings are finished for good. Hopefully it all goes down as planned. Even after the 1,000 dollars I'm still going to have to shell out more than I wanted to, but I just want this B.S. to be over. I may be able to get more out of him if we went to court and involved lawyers... but that is all an added expense that I can't guarantee will be recovered either.

Moral of the story: Before you buy a vehicle from someone you don't know have a mechanic you trust go through it completely! EVEN IF IT RUNS FINE WHEN YOU TEST DRIVE IT! I learned my lesson, that's for sure :roll:

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 5:14 am 
TOC Mechanic
TOC Mechanic

well, 73...fortunetly, at least you're coming out with something....better than the alternative...glad to see they guy was willing to give you SOMETHING, although it may not be exactly what you hoped for, $1000 is better than nothing...

69 Olds Cutlass S
70 Olds Vista Cruiser Wagon
72 Olds Cutlass S, 12:1 470 stroker, JM40 solid lifter cam, TH400, 3500 10" PTC stall, 4.11 posi
74 442 455/TH350
79 Cutlass 455/TH375 sleeper
'97 GMC Sierra Ext Cab 9" lift w/ 37's
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 9:42 am 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

Congrats on that! I think a thousand is a decent comprimise... Likely what the truck SHOULD have sold for, in its current condition. Glad he was civil about it! I cant beleive though, that he didnt tell you about it in the first place... Do people not notice the vehicle they JUST bought uses a couple quarts a week???

http://www.cardomain.com/id/88delta88
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:52 pm 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

well, the deal went through.... I got the money from him, and within hours I was at the Olds dealer in town ordering the rebuilt AC-Delco V8 engine. It should be in by tomorrow. Then a couple days to install it and I have a truck with a brand new engine. Again, yes... I had to shell out more from my pocket, but now I'm in a truck that has an engine with Zero miles! The body on the truck is prefect, the only visible flaw on the truck is the rear bumper which probably got bumped or something but you can't really see it unless you're looknig for it. The tranny is fine except it shifts a little hard from 1st to 2nd when it's cold. I changed the fluid and filter and I used an additive made by Trans-X. Anyone heard of it or used it before? I've been using it in my Olds for about 2 years now as a preventative measure and it seems to be working great.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:21 pm 
TOC Mechanic
TOC Mechanic

73, great to hear you've finally got the ball rolling again. I've heard of the Trans X brand..never used it myself...I use the Sea Foam products myself..both the Trans Tune for transmissions, and the regular Sea Foam..1/3 down the tank, 1/3 down the oil, and 1/3 down the carb ( or throttle body for EFI engines)..can' say as I've had any bad experiences with it, only good luck...

69 Olds Cutlass S
70 Olds Vista Cruiser Wagon
72 Olds Cutlass S, 12:1 470 stroker, JM40 solid lifter cam, TH400, 3500 10" PTC stall, 4.11 posi
74 442 455/TH350
79 Cutlass 455/TH375 sleeper
'97 GMC Sierra Ext Cab 9" lift w/ 37's
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 6:47 pm 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

Well, after all this time I'm still not driving my truck... There were a few setbacks at the shop I brought it to, (short of help, then their hoist broke and they had to wait for parts or something, etc.)

FINALLY today I got the call that it is pretty much done and all they need to do is fine tune it and drive it around for a while to make sure everything is O.K. I can't wait to get it back!

I'm not complaining that it took so long, I understand that shit happens, plus they gave me a pretty nice loaner car free of charge for this whole time (almost a month!) I say "free of charge" but I know that is probably built into the other costs so you end up paying for it indirectly anyway.

I was just bored and thought I'd give you guys an update 8)

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:14 am 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

update! ... Click Here... this is turning into quite the winter truck... looks like I'll be keeping this one for quite a while. I'm getting itchy to break out the olds though! still have to wait a couple months unfortunately.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 5:01 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Sucks what happened. But on the bright side, you paid $4K for a truck that with a new engine, and from the looks no rust, should last you 5 years or more depending on how it holds up. Assuming nothing else major goes bad like the transmission, that's a pretty good deal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 7:02 pm 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

Grimm wrote:
Sucks what happened. But on the bright side, you paid $4K for a truck that with a new engine, and from the looks no rust, should last you 5 years or more depending on how it holds up. Assuming nothing else major goes bad like the transmission, that's a pretty good deal.

yea I'm pretty happy with how it runs now, it has a bunch of new exhaust parts...(actually everything is new except the Y pipe) it has a Magnaflow cat converter, dual outlet flowmaster 50 series muffler, with magnaflow stainless tips. it looks and SOUNDS pretty sweet! I had a muffler shop bend the pipes and weld it all together for me. Click Here

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 7:46 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

Very beastly truck :D
Looks like it turned out pretty good at the end of the deal! 8)

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:17 pm 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

nice truck man... worth every cent!

http://www.cardomain.com/id/88delta88
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Re: Chevy
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:46 am 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

:cry:

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/cto/1255861784.html

This truck treated me really well once I got that new engine in there, but sadly it's time to let go...

I picked up a Chevy 1 ton that's older but has only 56K miles on it, my grandfather owned it so I know it's been well taken care of. I'll have to put some pics of it up on here soon. I have been looking for a 3/4 or 1 ton for a while because I'd like to get a pickup camper for the beach, and my 1/2 ton wouldn't hold much of a camper.

Profile Personal album  

Page 3 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3