It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 4:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:59 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

roadrunner54177 wrote:
I am pretty sure now that the car didn't come off the assembly line as a 442 ........

Pretty sure?

roadrunner54177 wrote:
........ What I do know is that I paid for a 442 and got a Cutlass Supreme Convertible ........

Do you know that?

roadrunner54177 wrote:
........ The price I got it for was what he had in his pricing guide for a 442 .........

What is the price, in that particular guide, for a '72 Supreme Convertible? Or for a 442 Clone?

roadrunner54177 wrote:
........ its just a cutlass supreme which is worth much less than the 442 in the book ........

It's a "Tribute" car, it's worth what a buyer will pay for it.

roadrunner54177 wrote:
........ How would I go about doing this?

First, get all your facts together.

Can you show you paid more for the car than it's worth? Do you know what it's worth? Can you prove it's not a 442? Do you know that the seller, knowingly, misrepresented any information?

Norm

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:31 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

The data tag on the firewall does not display any of the options that would make it a 442. The original engine was a 350-2 barrel and my research indicates that for the convertible in 1972, the 442 was only available with a 4 barrel carb.

The price guide I found is at
http://www.collectorcarmarket.com/menus/olyrd.htm

This guide does not reference any clone or tribute pricing. The 442 convertible would be worth right around $13,000 (which is what I paid) while the cutlass supreme convertible would be worth, at the most, around $8,000.

Under Wisconsin state statute 100.18 (Fraudulent representations)
100.18(1)
(1) No person with intent to sell any merchandise or anything offered by such person directly or indirectly, to the public for sale shall make, publish, or place before the public, or cause, directly or indirectly, to be made, published, or placed before the public, in this state, in a newspaper, magazine or other publication, or in the form of a book, notice, handbill, poster, bill, circular, pamphlet, letter, sign, placard, card, label, or over any radio or television station, or in any other way similar or dissimilar to the foregoing, an advertisement, statement or representation of any kind to the public relating to such purchase or sale of such merchandise, which advertisement, announcement, statement or representation contains any assertion, representation or statement of fact which is untrue, deceptive or misleading.

This statute goes on by saying that the seller will be held liable to pay twice the amount of the difference.

It doesn't matter whether or not he knew this or not. The fact is that he misrepresented the item for sale and he based his price on an untrue statement.

I'm gonna call him and try to work something out. What would you say, how much should I ask back?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:55 am 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

watch judge judy much? ;-) good luck with that one...

http://www.cardomain.com/id/88delta88
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:08 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Maybe this can be helpful in your search.

http://www.nastyz28.com/decode.html

Also nadaguides.com is a better source in my opinion for car values because Ive known people who used it when looking/buying cars and it was always a very good estimate as to what the car was going to sell for.

For an unoptioned Cutlass Supreme conv. $5,850-18,800

" " " 442 convert. $11975-$36,575

The lower price if for a "deteriorated restoration or a very poor amateur restoration. Most usable "as-is"." and the high price is "This vehicle would be in excellent condition overall. It could be a completely restored or an extremely well maintained original vehicle showing very minimal wear. The exterior paint, trim, and mechanics are not in need of reconditioning. The interior would be in excellent condition. Note: This value does not represent a "100 Point" or "# 1" vehicle *. "

Even if it is a Cutlass Supreme your still in the correct price range, and even if it isnt a 442 (jury is still out on that) whole else is gonna know? Enjoy it as a weekend cruiser.

Last edited by 85cieraholiday on Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1985 Olds Cutlass Ciera Brougham Holiday Coupe

1988 Olds Cutlass Ciera International Series Sedan

OCA #037778
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:38 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

roadrunner54177 wrote:
The data tag on the firewall does not display any of the options that would make it a 442. The original engine was a 350-2 barrel and my research indicates that for the convertible in 1972, the 442 was only available with a 4 barrel carb. .......

Unless a 2 bbl was specified in the customers order.

During your "research", have you found out yet, that in '72 a customer could order any configuration (or delete any part/parts of a package) he/she might pick out of the dealer's option book?

Have you found, yet, that those changes were not always refected in the the ID numbers?

Have you learned yet, that the internet is not always the best place to look for accurate information?

And have you learned yet, to read the information you have been given?

88 Coupe wrote:
roadrunner54177 wrote:
The car is a 72 with a 455. The original engine was, according to the vin., a 350 2-barrel ........

Looks like the same information you were given, prior to your purchase.

on Ebay, 922greg wrote:
On Aug-04-06 at 15:00:16 PDT, seller added the following information:

this was a 350 2 barrel car this is not the original 455 sorry for any miscommunication i was actually informed by another party with this info. thanks and good luck

roadrunner54177 wrote:
the 442 package could be added to a cutlass supreme convertible, but only on 4-barrel models ........

If 442 was a trim option, it would not matter what carb was on the engine.

roadrunner54177 wrote:
Could a dealer have added the 442 options? ........

Any dealer would have happily added anything the customer was willing to pay for.

Add to the last line: before, or after, the car was ordered from the factory.

85cieraholiday wrote:
........ For an unoptioned Cutlass Supreme conv. $5,850-18,800

" " " 442 convert. $11975-$36,575 ........

No mention of Clones/Tributes. Is it because, if those "Professionals" were to recognize them for what they are, the prices would be somewhere between the two. Then, would the nature of the added category bring down the prices of the 442? Not good for the "pros" who have a vested interest in keeping them inflated.

The expense (time and money) involved in a 442 conversion raises it's value considerably, as does the 350/350 to 455/400 upgrade. "Matching numbers" are only useful in show competition, and anyone buying a car for that purpose, will do all verifications before making a offer.

Do any of the "Price Guides" consider the to 455/400 option? It was a desirable factory option that will also increase the "value".

If roadrunner54177 bought a Cutlass, and later found lt to be a 442, I wonder if he would volunteer to pay the seller the difference in the "book value".

Quote:
........ Enjoy it as a weekend cruiser.

That's what the Hobby is all about.

Norm

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:02 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Posted without comment.

http://72.22.90.30/phpBB2/viewtopic.php ... highlight=

Profile Personal album