It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:55 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

I've been tossing around the idea of taking my 2.5L 125C Combo out of the olds (87) and putting in a 2.8 with OD (86). There are a few reasons. A, I'm doing a lot of highway traveling and I usually drive at 130km/h or better, and I know that the 2.5 is thrashing away at hearts content, but sometimes I need a little extra. B As of now my transmission has an indiagnosable problem, I'm still working on it, but it's killing the gas mileage. I only got 500kms to the tank last fill up and I can usually pull 600. C I love the sound of a V6 :twisted: and I want the full instrumentation. Some reasons are foolish I know, but I've been thinking of it. Also the olds has picked up a weird problem, it only occurs when I'm out on the highway, usually when it's going uphill or somtimes right after a downhill. It will "Jump" or sometimes die for a split second like water is in the gas, but I've eliminated the water in the gas idea, just put new plugs and wires on it 3 weekends ago, fuel filter is next (this weekend coming) and I'm going to have a GM guy put it on the system to see if my coil packs are failing. So hopefully I can get that figured out. Kinda scares people who drive with me when we're out on the highway in the middle of nowhere and we're climbing a hill and the car starts bucking and jumping :roll: So does anybody have any tips or experience on how much work it's going to be? I have a rough idea, but not too much of one.
Thanks CRC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:55 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

As long as it comes from a Ciera or clone, and the computer and related harnesses are used, it should be a straight forward exchange. I would keep the "donor" car handy for any other odds and ends that might be different. Same should apply to a 3.0 Buick.

An easier alternative, would be to change the trans only.

Either way, payback in fuel savings will take many years.

Norm

Profile Personal album  

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]