It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: buying a car....
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:29 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

im 16 and just got my learners permit.
im learnign to drive on a mazda 626 and a toyota tacoma, (parents cars....)but soon im gonna need to buy a car of my own.
one of my friends whose like a sister to me convinced her parents to sell me their 1992 oldsmobile 88 for $700+doing chores around their house. (they origionaly wanted $1000)
i dont know the exact mileage of the car, (ill check) but its been driven a LOT. fairly gently, tho. it used to belong to my friends grandparents, then they gave it to her parents. its champagne red in and out, with a cloth interior, tape deck and power windows, locks, seats, basically everything. there is no rust on the car at all. its been sitting for a few months, and starts up and runs properly just like a new car. the only thing wrong with it is that it needs a new 02 sensor. my dad drove it around the block once and complained of it feeling very floaty, but id expect this to be normal. after all, this is a BIG car.
what im posting this for is to ask if theres anything i should look out for on this car. or if theres anything i should ask about or check for that might not make the car worth it. also are there any things i should look out for with this car after a few years of driving it?
this seemed like the best place to ask.
thanks in advance.
~Rooney.

Post subject: Re: buying a car....
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:59 pm 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

have the ball joints / steering linkages inspected for wear. This might be where the "floaty" feeling is coming from. Good find for $700!

http://www.cardomain.com/id/88delta88
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:21 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

When I was looking at an 88 Cutlass it had been driven very little and very gently by my neighbours. I test drove it and the brakes felt really soft, on inspection the brake lines were all cracked and needed to be replaced. So make sure to get it inspected.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:22 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

ok so if the brake lines are rotted out how much would it cost to replace them?
i can do all the work myself, i took autobody at a tech school for 2 years, so as long as its not too expensive its not a problem.

thanks.
~rooney.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:24 pm 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

brake flex lines are very cheap. Easy to replace aswell, but the bleeding procedure is where the skill is req'd.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/88delta88
 Profile Personal album  

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]