It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:18 am 
TOC Mechanic
TOC Mechanic

Ok everyone..topic of the day is oil filters....I'm going to try and get back to writing up some of these items that could be posted as "stickys", like we had before the crashes....

I know everyone tries to save a buck when they can, going to WalMart, Autozone, or wherever the cheapest stuff is...but...we can't forget that quality comes at a price....below i've linked a couple things regarding oil filter studies...just to show that oil filters are NOT created the same...

Independent engine oil filter study
http://minimopar.net/oilfilterstudy.html

engine oil filter independent study results
http://minimopar.net/oilfilters.html

heres an interesting quote from a former Fram line engineer regarding quality control and construction of Fram oil filters....
http://minimopar.net/oilfilter-fram1.txt

things that make ya go :shock:

69 Olds Cutlass S
70 Olds Vista Cruiser Wagon
72 Olds Cutlass S, 12:1 470 stroker, JM40 solid lifter cam, TH400, 3500 10" PTC stall, 4.11 posi
74 442 455/TH350
79 Cutlass 455/TH375 sleeper
'97 GMC Sierra Ext Cab 9" lift w/ 37's
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:24 am 
TOC Mechanic
TOC Mechanic

cross reference of popular filter names and who they're actually made by....

Manufacturer "Sticker Names"
AC Delco AC Delco

Allied Signal Fram, X2, Pennzoil, Quaker State, Mopar Severe Duty

Baldwin Baldwin, Amsoil

Champion Labs Super Tech (Wal-Mart), Deutsch, Bosch, STP, Mopar, Car And Driver, Lee Maxi, Some AC Delco for imported models

Hastings Hastings, Mighty (?)

Mobil 1 A Champion Labs filter, but constructed differently. Also supposedly K and N and defunct AC Delco Proguard

Purolator Purolator, Pure One, Castrol MaxPro, Penske, Pro Line, Powerflo, Mopar, Motorcraft

Wix Wix, Napa Gold and Silver, Car Quest, Auto Extra

in EVERY oil study i've researched online, the Champion Labs filters, specifically the Super Tech Wal Mart filters, Bosch, and STP filters failed MISERABLY...

NOTE: The Mobil 1 and K&N filters, though made by Champion Labs, are constructed differently than the other Champion Labs filters, and actually rate at or near the top of the list as far as the best oil filters out there.

yet another quote regarding Fram filters...
I think the big bucks Fram is spending on advertising is paying off. They save money by using cardboard endcaps and off shore labor. Then divert that money to their advertising budget. The average 'not in the know' driver is oblivious to the construction and poor quality of the orange filters. He sees the orange filter as the no. one on the market, and therefore must be no. one in quality and construction.

I myself have heard comments from Allied Signal reps ( maker of Fram), who stated that the Fram filters found at Wal Mart are not constructed in the same manner as Fram from other retailers...so if the "good" Frams are junk, can you IMAGINE how bad the "bad" Frams are? #-o

So basically the biggest point of this...DON'T USE FRAM OIL FILTERS!!!!!

69 Olds Cutlass S
70 Olds Vista Cruiser Wagon
72 Olds Cutlass S, 12:1 470 stroker, JM40 solid lifter cam, TH400, 3500 10" PTC stall, 4.11 posi
74 442 455/TH350
79 Cutlass 455/TH375 sleeper
'97 GMC Sierra Ext Cab 9" lift w/ 37's
 Profile Personal album  

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]