It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: someone stole my Ciera
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:17 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

About a year ago i got my 1988 Ciera SC stolen from my work place.
They used a screw driver on the door locks and then ripped into the left side of the steering column...

The police found it the next day parked in an ally..
out of fuel and rear tire flat, other then that it was in fine condition surprisingly..

My question is this...

I have a 1986 Pontiac 6000 STE that seems to have alot in common with the Ciera..

I looked at the steering column and it looks the same, not to mention that there both floor shift..too sweet, so i pulled the entire steering column out of the 6000..

I was wondering if there's a way to just fix the parts that they broke or should i just install the entire steering column..

The colors of the interiors of these cars are almost identical too..
may not even have to paint it.
I'm fealing blessed..:)

And to think my wife wanted me to get rid of the 6000.
Think i just saved me some $$$$, especially installing it myself...

The 6000 has been my parts car for awhile now and now she can see the benifits of it..

If this goes smoothly i wonder if i can switch the rear drums on the Ciera to the disk brakes i have on the 6000?

having a parts car is great...need a bulb then take it from the 6000.
need a fuse....6000 again
need a switch for something,,the 6000 has a ton of them...

it's like having my own personnal JUNK yard in my driveway.. and it makes a good shed for things too..heheheehe

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:48 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Yeah steering column will interchange... most parts will, HOWEVER thier are some things like trim pieces that probably will not.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:55 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Thats exactly what i did today..put the whole column in..
Wasn't that hard actually..looked worse then it actually was...

had to get a steering wheel puller for like 13 bucks but that was it...

the 6000 steering column had radio controls for the radio so there where a couple extra wires but the connectors went right together.

gonna have to use the ignition key from the 6000 for now though cause i cant seem to figure out how to switch them plus the turn signal arm i would like to switch also because the original is Chrome and the 1 from the 6000 is a plain black...

you wouldn't believe how good it is to be able to use a key to start my car again plus i have high beams again and tilt steering...

they did a number on her when they stole her but you cant even tell now that someone defiled my baby..
I'd like to catch the ppl who used my girl..I'd kill them or better yet let my Ciera get revenge on them herself..

On a scale of 1 to 10,10 being the hardest,
I would rate this job a 4

total cost of job:
steering wheel puller=$13.00
steering column==FREE/ZERO/NODA
labor===about 2 hrs. tops and that includes smoke breaks and such..

peace guys...

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:49 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

"...the 6000 steering column had radio controls for the radio so there where a couple extra wires but the connectors went right together.

gonna have to use the ignition key from the 6000 for now though cause i cant seem to figure out how to switch them plus the turn signal arm i would like to switch also because the original is Chrome and the 1 from the 6000 is a plain black... "

Just use the 6000 stuff... It is a bitch to take apart. We had to do that to the Formula 455. If you do change them, there is alot to do, the stuff is buried inside the column.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 3:40 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

The cruise isn't working since i changed to the 6000 column.
i think it is the wiper control/ cruise control arm.
I'm gonna have to change that at least...

only thing is..i cant figure out how to get it off right now...

any clues..
i see no C-clips or screws to loosen it with...
and i dont think it just pops off...
i want my cruise to work like it did with the old column...
:?:

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 9:53 am 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

If its anything like my mom's '93 pontiac transsport van (most GM columns are the same I think), I accidentally pulled it right out of the socket once... Couldnt figure out how to get it back in till I stopped... Couldnt signal till then!

So, yes it just pulls off, as far as I'm aware... And the buttons are all connected in the column with a small wire with a little connector on the end... I ripped the whole works right off! :-)

Maybe that'll help?

http://www.cardomain.com/id/88delta88
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 10:14 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Actually there is a pain in the ass, clip get a scarew driver and hang on it is spring loaded! I might see if my dad can explain it better later, and the singnal lever has a little screw that holds it on... the lever is easier to get to than the ignition switch

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 12:19 am 
TOC Mechanic
TOC Mechanic

88ciera...i see ya must watch monster garage too...lol anyways, the turn signal lever SHOULD be held onto the turn signal switch by a screw, like someone had previously said...the problem being that you may have to swap the wiring thru the column if it currently doesnt have provisions for the cruise built into it....there are several styles of ignition switches in these, the most common being where you have to remove 3 screws to unbolt the turn signal switch itself, then insert the key into the cylinder...theres a spring clip that holds the lock cylinder in..must be pushed in with a screwdriver or some sort of pick..then ya turn the lock cylinder while holding it in, and pull it out of the column....if you look down into the column where the lock cylinder goes in, and follow it to the left ( towards the center of the column), you should see a notch where the locking clip is..like i said..insert key..push down that clip WHILE turning the cylinder, then pull out....
PrimerDeath...ya didnt think i'd be gone THAT long, did ya? :P :P

69 Olds Cutlass S
70 Olds Vista Cruiser Wagon
72 Olds Cutlass S, 12:1 470 stroker, JM40 solid lifter cam, TH400, 3500 10" PTC stall, 4.11 posi
74 442 455/TH350
79 Cutlass 455/TH375 sleeper
'97 GMC Sierra Ext Cab 9" lift w/ 37's
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:00 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

The turn signal arms are exactly the same ,except color and the 6000's cruise dont work, i cant remember if it worked in the 6000 or if i did something to it during the swap.

i still cant see how to remove the arm,it dont pull out and i dont see any screws...

I could try pulling harder put something tells me this aint right...
if i've learned 1 thing in my years it's that if it dont come off easily then it is either going to break if you keep it up or your scared to break it and i think both apply in this situation.

I just had to add the free/zero/nodda from Monster Garage
Dont get many things for free...

strokercutlass wrote:
88ciera...i see ya must watch monster garage too...lol anyways, the turn signal lever SHOULD be held onto the turn signal switch by a screw, like someone had previously said...the problem being that you may have to swap the wiring thru the column if it currently doesnt have provisions for the cruise built into it....there are several styles of ignition switches in these, the most common being where you have to remove 3 screws to unbolt the turn signal switch itself, then insert the key into the cylinder...theres a spring clip that holds the lock cylinder in..must be pushed in with a screwdriver or some sort of pick..then ya turn the lock cylinder while holding it in, and pull it out of the column....if you look down into the column where the lock cylinder goes in, and follow it to the left ( towards the center of the column), you should see a notch where the locking clip is..like i said..insert key..push down that clip WHILE turning the cylinder, then pull out....
PrimerDeath...ya didnt think i'd be gone THAT long, did ya? :P :P

Profile Personal album  

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]