It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: 1995 Olds Silhouette
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:45 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Hello Im new to the forums here .....I have a 1995 Silhouette and when I went out this morning it would not start.....It cranks no problem but will not start.It has spark and gas but just wont turn over ...Any Ideas????
thanx in advance...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:16 pm 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

quick question: how do you know it has spark and fuel?

Engines need 3 things to run. Air, Spark, Fuel. If all three are present in the cylinder at the same time, an explosion happens. Obviously one of three are missing in your case.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/88delta88
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:27 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

don't forget compression and timing...but I highly doubt the engine just lost compression overnight, it could be with fuel or spark though.

Did you have any problems with it before? Any check engine lights or maybe a rough idle...etc etc...need more details.

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:52 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

I hear the fuel pump..and smell gas(just put in a new fuel filter 2 months ago)I pulled off a sparkplug wire and turned it over and seen the arc <sp>and the air filter seems good it was replaced the same time as the fuel filter..the check engine light has been on sence I bought the van a year ago.And sometimes it stalls out...If that helps
thanx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:16 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

88delta88 wrote:
........ Engines need 3 things to run. Air, Spark, Fuel .......

The correct mixture of fuel and air, compressed to the right pressure, then, one correctly timed, spark.

88delta88 wrote:
........ an explosion happens ........

Detonation or pre ignition is an explosion. Expansion of the burning fuel/air mixture, would be what you meant.

Then again, I'm probably being overly technical, again.

Zilla500r wrote:
........ the check engine light has been on since I bought the van, a year ago ........

That means, it's nothing I can help with.

Norm

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:35 am 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

If the computer has picked up a code, there is a good reason, and that would be the first place I would start looking. I imagine you have OBD in your vehicle, so you will need either a code reader, or a good friend with one. This will give you a good idea where to start looking for the problem.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Re: 1995 Olds Silhouette
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:56 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

OK was checking the van and if I hold the key forward without engaging the starter it will stay running and as soon as I let off the key it stalls out .....any Ideas????

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:06 am 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

Zilla500r wrote:
OK was checking the van and if I hold the key forward without engaging the starter it will stay running and as soon as I let off the key it stalls out .....any Ideas????

Bad key switch?

Mark Twain wrote:
A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation.
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:46 am 
TOC Village Idiot
TOC Village Idiot

Yes, andrewk, i agree. Clean/Replace the key switch. I dont know what the steering column looks like on a silhouette, but I can imagine it will be an involved process.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:03 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

thanx .....now does anyone have any DETAILED instructions on how to do it.....thanx
And the tool to get the wheel off..looks like a star??

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:27 pm 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

Zilla500r wrote:
thanx .....now does anyone have any DETAILED instructions on how to do it.....thanx

I'll let Norm clue you in about board etiquette, and why it isn't nessecary to use bold and underlines...

Never done it before, but I would suggest you get a service manual. That would give you all the detail you need, and it would tell you if you were up to the task, because you would know exactly what was involved.

Quote:
And the tool to get the wheel off..looks like a star??

Please clarify. I think you mean the fastners on the steering wheel are star shaped,(not that the tool needed is star shaped) in which case they are called torx fastners, and will require the proper tools to remove them. Could also be a tamper-proof torx fastner, in which case you would need a different tool other than a normal torx socket.

The steering wheel will probably need a puller, which brings me to my next point...

If you have an airbag, you may want to look into how to remove and reinstall the air bag properly. I have heard (not actually seen, or done my self, so take this as here-say) that you could accidentally fire an airbag if this isnt done properly.

I can only be as detailed as the question.

Andrew

Mark Twain wrote:
A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation.
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:07 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

Here are some DETAILED instructions on how to do it. Before I get into it, a couple notes. You need to remove the entire column. Also, you are dealing with AIR BAGS, you must properly disarm the system.

Air Bag(s) Arming and Disarming: wrote:
Disabling the SIR System:

DRIVER SIDE
Many service procedures require the air bag system to be disabled to prevent accidental deployment. The air bag system can maintain sufficient voltage
to cause deployment for up to 2 minutes after the ignition switch is turned off, the battery ground cable is disconnected or the DERM fuse is removed. If
the inflator module is disconnected from the deployment loop by the following procedure, service can begin immediately without waiting for the 2
minute time period to elapse.
1. Turn steering wheel so that vehicle wheels are pointed straight ahead.
2. Turn ignition switch to Lock position and remove key.
3. Remove air bag fuse from fuse block.
4. Remove instrument panel lower extension compartment.
5. Remove Connector Position Assurance (CPA) and disconnect yellow two-way connector at base of steering column, Fig. 1.

PASSENGER SIDE
1. Remove air bag fuse from fuse block.

Enabling the SIR System

DRIVER SIDE
1. Turn ignition switch to LOCK and remove key.
2. Connect yellow two-way connector and install connector position assurance (CPA).
3. Install instrument panel lower extension compartment.
4. Insert air bag fuse into fuse block.
5. Turn ignition switch to RUN and verify that the air bag warning lamp flashes seven times then turns off.

PASSENGER SIDE
1. Turn ignition switch to LOCK and remove key.
2. Insert air bag fuse into fuse block.
3. Turn ignition switch to RUN and verify that the air bag warning lamp flashes seven times then turns off.

Ignition Switch: Service and Repair wrote:
1. Remove Turn Signal Switch (Instructions Below) and Ignition Lock.
2. On models with cruise control, remove housing cover end cap, then unplug connector and gently pull harness through bowl assembly, housing,
and cover assembly. Remove multi-function lever.
3. Remove lock housing cover screws and lock housing cover assembly.
4. Remove tilt lever, then column housing cover end cap and dimmer switch rod actuator.
5. Gently pull pivot switch wire harness through bowl assembly and column housing.
6. Remove switch actuator pivot pin, pivot and pulse switch assembly.
7. Remove wheel tilt spring retainer, wheel tilt spring and spring guide.
8. Using puller tool No. J 21854-91, or equivalent, remove pivot pin, then reinstall tilt lever.
9. Remove column housing by pulling back on the tilt lever, then pull housing down and away from column.
10. Remove release lever pin, then shoe release lever and release lever spring.
11. Remove dowel pin, lock shoes and shoe springs from column housing.
12. Remove bearing assembly, hex head screw, lock bolt spring and lock bolt from column housing.
13. Remove column from vehicle. Once steering column is removed from vehicle, the column is extremely susceptible to damage. Dropping
column on its end could collapse steering shaft or loosen plastic injections which maintain column rigidity. Do not lean on column and,
under no circumstances should a hammer be used on ends of column. Any damage to the column could impair the column's collapsible
design.

14. Remove bearing and seal retainer.
15. Remove lower spring retainer, lower bearing spring and lower bearing seat.
16. Remove hex head screws, then adapter and bearing assembly.
17. Mark both lower column and upper column shafts for assembly reference. Failure to mark shafts may cause the steering wheel to be turned 180
degrees.
18. Disconnect upper shaft assembly from lower shaft assembly by tilting shafts 90 degrees from each other to disengage as shown in Fig. 3.
19. Rotate centering sphere 90 degrees and remove from upper shaft assembly.
20. Remove joint preload spring from centering sphere.
21. Remove column support attaching screws.
22. Remove column support assembly and dimmer switch rod from steering column jacket assembly.
23. Remove dimmer switch rod from column housing assembly.
24. Remove hex nut and screw attaching switch assembly to column.
25. Remove dimmer switch assembly and mounting stud.
26. Remove ignition switch assembly and switch actuator assembly.
27. Disconnect ignition switch from switch actuator assembly.
28. Reverse procedure to install, ensure to align marks on steering column upper and lower shafts.

Turn Signal Switch: Service and Repair wrote:
1. Disconnect battery ground cable.
2. Remove steering wheel. (Instructions Below)

WARNING: Refer to Air Bags and Seat Belts/ Air Bags (Supplemental Restraint Systems)/ Service and Repair/ Air Bag System Disarming &
Arming.

3. Remove lock retaining ring using pulling tool No. J 23653-C, or equivalent, to depress shaft lock, Fig. 7.
4. Remove shaft lock, then turn signal cancelling cam, Fig. 8.
5. Remove upper bearing spring, upper bearing inner race and inner race.
6. Set turn signal lever to the Right Turn position.
7. Remove signal switch arm attaching screw, then remove switch from turn signal assembly, Fig. 9.
8. Remove turn signal switch attaching screws, then remove hazard knob assembly.
9. Remove turn signal switch and wiring harness protector, Fig. 10.
10. Gently pull wiring harness through gear shift lever bowl, column housing and lock housing cover assemblies.
11. Reverse procedure to install.

Steering Wheel: Service and Repair wrote:

WARNING: Refer to Air Bags and Seat Belts / Air Bags (Supplemental Restraint Systems) / Service and Repair / Air Bag System Disarming &
Arming.

1. Disconnect battery ground cable.
2. Remove screws holding steering wheel pad assembly and gently pull up on pad, Fig. 12.
3. Disconnect electrical connectors for air bag module, horn, and steering wheel mounted controls, if so equipped.
4. Remove retainer and nut, then scribe mark onto steering wheel and shaft for assembly reference.
5. Use steering wheel pulling tool No. J 1859-03, or equivalent, to remove steering wheel.
6. Reverse procedure to install, align steering wheel to shaft marks and torque nut to 30.0 ft. lbs.

That's about it I think....

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:10 pm 
TOC Moderator
TOC Moderator

Damn you and your ALLDATA... I am very jealous!

Mark Twain wrote:
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:34 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

andrewk wrote:
........ I'll let Norm clue you in about board etiquette, and why it isn't necessary to use bold and underlines ........

I would first ask, what was gained by using them in this instance? Then, why would his use of bold and/or underlined fonts be any different than using all caps?

What they did was, take the readers focus away from the message and put it on a small part of it. Many times the context is lost by doing so.

No "emphasis" = more accurate communication.

Another reason can be found here, in the sixth post.

And, many people (including me) see it as an insinuation that we cannot read and it is, therefore, an insult.

Norm

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:55 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Thanx for the info going to give it a shot..And sorry about the underline thing.

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next