It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Stumbling Issues and CEL
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:11 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

As stated above I have a stumbling problem with my 1994 Olds Royale 3800. I just acquired the vehicle on Thursday.

From a stop if I accelerate slowly the vehicle stumbles and lurches forward till I hit 20mph or so. If I try and accelerate fast it seems to be fine. I also noticed it when pulling slowly up my steep driveway at 5mph or so.

Also, the CEL comes on sometimes. I know you guys will say to go have it scanned. Which I plan on doing once I find the appropriate scanner. So, what kind of scanner does it take to read the codes?

Note: The vacuum lines look old and probably could use replaceing. Are they all 5/32's? Not sure how much to get.....

Thanks
Thad

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:39 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Hi dakotaolds,

Welcome to TOC.

Quote:
........ Are they all 5/32's? Not sure how much to get.....

Take the old lines to your local parts supplier. They will be happy to match them.

Norm

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:02 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Yeah, I figured it out once I started taking the old ones off. Not a big deal. It seems that replacing the vacuum lines did nothing for my issue. Preventative maint. is never a bad idea......esp when the old lines were super cracked.

Any ideas of were I should look next?

Thanks
Thad

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:11 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

Well, obviously you should get the code checked to see what it is saying, that will at least point you in some direction.

You'll need to find someone that has a scanner...local autoparts store should be able to pull the code, if you have a Murray's or Autozone...some place like that.

Either has a 12 pin or 16 pin diagnostic connector, if 12 pin, need a 12 to 16 pin adapter....so it's basically an OBDII system...can't use the paper clip trick.

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:15 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

I have a really similar symptom. It stumbles off idle, but clears up when I give it more gas. I notice it most when inching forward at exit ramps and things like that. I also got a check engine light, pulled the code and it reads P1406 EGR Valve pintle position circuit.

In regards to scanning the code the '94 is a pain in the butt, because it has an OBDII connector but it's an OBDI system. The Autoxray EZ-Read 2000 with the blue gm cable works, there's also an Actron superscanner that should work (CP9150). But the autoparts stores can't read em, cause they only have OBDII scanners (usually).

I also have another symptom that was pointing me toward a vacuum issue. When I accelerate, the vent blower gets weak, when I'm off the gas it blows fine. I'm discouraged that your vacuum line replacement didn't help.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:46 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Hi garrmark,

Welcome to TOC

Quote:
........ stumbles off idle, but clears up when I give it more gas ........

Could be a faulty power/ground connection at the battery, computer, a sensor, or anywhere between. Or, it could be a simple vacuum leak.

Quote:
........ P1406 ........

Might be related, might not. Unplug and replug the electrical connector, at the EGR, 5 or 6 times, and see what happens.

Quote:
........ I'm discouraged that your vacuum line replacement didn't help.

Hoses are not the only potential sources for vacuum leaks. EGR gasket, is always a possibility.

With the engine idling, spray all connections that separate vacuum from the atmosphere, with carb cleaner. If the idle speed changes, you've found a leak.

Norm

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:46 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

I have kinda learned to live with it due to my lack of free time to invest into diagnosing the problem. This next week I will have the afternoons off so that should give me time to sink into this thing....

I am looking at a Autoxray EZ-Read 2000 on ebay right now.....Are you 200% sure this will work?

Thanks
Thad

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:27 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Download the PDF version of the users manual for the AutoXray AX2500 and check it out for yourself.

Just remember: Codes are only part of the diagnostic process. They do not tell you what's wrong, they only tell you where to look.

Norm

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:28 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

I own the EZ read 2000 so I know it works. If you want live scan data though it's another $100-200 to upgrade the scanner. It pulls the codes fine though. Make sure you get the blue gm OBD-II cable (which doesn't come with it), as the yellow OBDII only works for later model years.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:29 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Thanks for the tips.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:51 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

With that Blue GM cord (AX20211) did you have to download additional stuff from Autoxray. From what I have read I am slightly confused.

Any info would help

Thanks
Thad

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:32 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

From the Summit page, previously linked:

Quote:
Features include:

* Show trouble and pending codes in English
* Reset check engine light
* Support multiple trouble code requests, generic codes, pending codes, and enhanced codes
* On-screen display of OBD-I trouble codes, OBD-II generic, and OBD-II manufacturer-specific codes
* Display readiness test status
* Internet-upgradeable

Which part has you confused?

Norm

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:41 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

The part that has me confused is not that. I already have the scanner but need an additional cord.

AGAIN, the part #20211 (Blue GM 94-95 specific cord). In my quest to find the cheapest part some sellers but not all, which is why I am asking, referenced needing additional stuff to use the cord successfully.

I guess I'll give it a whirl and buy the cord.....

Thanks anyhow
Thad

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:51 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

dakotaolds wrote:
........ referenced needing additional stuff to use the cord successfully ........

Got it.

The scanner is already OBD 1.5 capable. It's just not financially viable to ship a cord that only a few buyers can use.

garrmark wrote:
........ If you want live scan data though it's another $100-200 to upgrade the scanner ........

The software upgrade is for those who require "real time data" instead of diagnostic codes.

Norm

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:59 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Sweet the cord is enroute....

Thad

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next