It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:43 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

I have a 97 Aurora and for some reasons to which I have no idea why, sometimes my passanger side mirror will just move by its self. I have a bad oil leak and I was told it could be a seal between the two chambers of the engine because I cannot find where it is, it is a northstar 4.0l v8. Also I have a bad speed sensor and I want to replace it myself, can i get the old ones off without taking the tires off?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:11 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

yeoj112689 wrote:
sometimes my passanger side mirror will just move by its self.

I sometimes notice the same thing with my passenger mirror. If you live somewhere moist there's a good chance that the mechanisms inside the mirror are rusted. Does it have automatic controls?

For the oil leak problem, try parking on level ground and put a large piece of cardboard under the car. The next day you should have a pretty good idea where the oil is leaking form, assuming your somewhat familiar with the underside of your car.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:03 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

yeoj112689 wrote:
........ was told it could be a seal between the two chambers of the engine ........

Two chambers = Engine and trans?

Aurora V8 (nicknamed Shortstar) is smaller and less powerful than (Cadillac) Northstar.

Norm

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:43 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

@Series2 The only thing wrong with the cardboard thing is it is leaking from somewhere I cannot see. It leaks of of many things on the bottom of the car, mainly by the oil pan. I bought some stop leak suppose to fix any seal or your money back blah blah blah but hey i guess it won't hurt.

@88 Coupe I was told that the engine in my car is basically two 4 cylinders put together. I know how to fix many things on cars besides a couple things. I am only 19 and have never seen any kind of engine like mine now. I bought the car about 6 months ago and just have not had time to look into it until now. I was told that where to to engines were put together there is a gasket and it is a main spot that the engines leak. I am not sure if that sounds stupid or not because to me it did. I cannot see how it is possible but the person who told me owns his own shop and I am assuming he knows more then I do. So if anything makes sense off of that lol I would love your help.

Ps the Aurora engine is smaller than the Caddy v8 but let me tell ya, still takes of like a beast :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:00 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

yeoj112689 wrote:
@Series2 The only thing wrong with the cardboard thing is it is leaking from somewhere I cannot see. It leaks of of many things on the bottom of the car, mainly by the oil pan. I bought some stop leak suppose to fix any seal or your money back blah blah blah but hey i guess it won't hurt.

That's too bad. If you can, somehow make sure it's not just leaking from the oil filter, which would drip down onto other pieces and would be near the pan.

My reasoning is that if it's something like that, easy home fix, so you definitely want to rule it out before paying someone.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:46 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Yeah I would for sure not wanna pay someone, I honestly feel kinda stupid that I have not looked yet.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:25 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Let us know if you find anything.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:11 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

mk, not gonna lie this is bout my favorite site now, if u need another mod let me know I am on this site just about everyday anyways lol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:50 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

yeoj112689 wrote:
........ it is leaking from somewhere I cannot see .........

Clean (remove) all the oil that you can see, drive the car for a few blocks, then trace the "fresh" oil back to its source.

yeoj112689 wrote:
........ I was told that the engine in my car is basically two 4 cylinders put together ........

Basic (very basic) description of any V8. Nothing to do with the existence of "two chambers".

yeoj112689 wrote:
........ where to to engines were put together there is a gasket and it is a main spot that the engines leak ........

Looks like the gasket does exist. DIY replacement is not recommended.

aa1car.com wrote:
........ The way these engine blocks support the crankshaft is really different. Extra thick steel-backed main bearings are clamped between two large castings, the upper and lower block, that are joined at the main bearing parting line ........ [snip] ........ Many owner complaints of oil leaks are associated with gasket failure at this interface. An appropriate fix has been difficult to achieve ........

http://www.aa1car.com/library/2002/us100232.htm

Norm

Profile Personal album  

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]