It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:14 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Gulp.....
The 85 Ciera has developed a vibration in the front passenger side wheel. When I turn the wheel to the right, there is a vibration in the steering wheel, and when I watch the front wheels turn from the outside, the passenger side front wheel vibrates as well (the tire looks like it is shaking even in park). If I turn the wheel the other way it doesn't make a sound.... any ideas?

1985 Olds Cutlass Ciera Brougham Holiday Coupe

1988 Olds Cutlass Ciera International Series Sedan

OCA #037778
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:41 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Check belt tension and power steering fluid level.

Norm

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:53 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

The belt is good, and the fluid level in the power steering pump is good. I did notice that the power steering always has a slight hiss coming from it even without the wheel turned.

I also noticed the the shimmy is only below 10 mph and the slower you go (or if the car is stopped) the more prominent it is felt. This only occurs when the wheel is turned right, and the vibration can also be felt in the right front wheel (I had someone turn the wheel while I put my hand over the hubcap).

OCA #037778
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:41 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

check bearings? and make sure your tires are at* the same psi and are balanced. prolly not anything to do with it but these could make your car shake. How badly is it shaking?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:12 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

I doesn't shake when the car moves, only when I turn the wheel with the car stopped. I hear a rubbing/groaning sound until 7-8mph. I also hear a hissing sound at times, it think it is from the power steering pump or behind the p/s pump.

OCA #037778
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:15 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

oh sorry misread your first post, is it like a squeaky noise? high pitched or just a grinding?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:51 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Like 88coupe said,"check belt and power steering fluid" If you are sure thats ok, probably power steering pump.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:38 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Its like a rubbing sound. I noticed that when I turn the wheel with the car in park it puts a lot of strain on the engine. The fluid is actually past the full mark, which makes me think something is up with the power steering pump, I noticed it after I checked it hot. The belt is fine, and its new (about 800 miles on it) so I know it isn't cracked or anything.

I don't see any leaks, but after I shut the car off I heard what sounded like water running from the engine compartment. There are no strange smells, and outside of turning the wheel to the right at low/no speed there is nothing odd about the car.

OCA #037778
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:40 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

http://www.ifitjams.com/steering.htm

Quote:
........ Is the car steering difficult, especially when the car isn't rolling? Any failure with power steering, from low pump pressure to low fluid can be at fault. Check the fluid, check the belt tension, make sure there aren't any obvious leaks. You can get a pressure gauge and check the pressure the power steering pump is generating, but you'll need you shop manual to find out what that pressure should be, along with any cautions. My ***** manual warns against testing the pressure for more than five seconds, the pump just isn't designed to drive into a dead end load. There's a control valve right at the pump that keeps the pump from putting out too much pressure at high speeds, and there's the apportioning valve at the rack that sends the hydraulic pressure to the proper piston. If the steering is still hard when the car is rolling, low tire pressure may be the cause. Make sure that the ball joints on the tie rod ends are greased.There could be too much friction somewhere on the steering shaft, due to a bad coupling or some foreign object lodged between the shaft and the body ........

Norm

Profile Personal album  

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]