any ideas how to fix it what should i check
out of the 15 times i tryed to start it. it stared once
once the engine started to run it was grand no problems
although the breaks were very weak

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:21 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Does the starter make any noise (grinding/etc) when you try to start it? Does the car attempt to turn over every time?

1985 Olds Cutlass Ciera Brougham Holiday Coupe

1988 Olds Cutlass Ciera International Series Sedan

OCA #037778
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:59 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

oxoovooxo wrote:
i bought a 1987 olds delta 88 royale
its not starting right ........

I'll consolidate and rephrase 85cieraholiday's questions. Does the starter crank the engine, as it should?

If it does, remove the air cleaner and pour about 2 ounces of gasoline into the carburetor, then try to start it.

Quote:
........ the guy i bought it off said it might be a timing problem electrical ........

Might be? Based on what evidence?

Since "wild guesses" are no substitute for a proper diagnosis, it follows that we should go where a few simple tests lead us.

Quote:
........ once the engine started to run it was grand no problems. ........

This is why I suggested the "old gas down the carb trick". If it starts and runs every time, the problem is caused by a lack of fuel.

Starting at the tank:
  1. Add a gallon, or two, of gasoline.
  2. Replace the rubber hose between the steel lines near the tank. This is where I always put my new filters.
  3. Replace the rubber hose between the steel line and the fuel pump.
  4. Replace any fuel filters, you might find, including the one than might be in the carb.
Quote:
........ although the breaks were very weak

Brakes?

Let us know how it goes.

Regards, Norm

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:30 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

sorry didn't reply faster
thanks for replies
first of all it does rotate and has a good battery but no start
sometimes i hear a few puffs like its just about to start.
now its the new fuel injection olds engine 3.8
l am no expert but does that mean you cant pour petrol into the carb like the older engines. so i need to know is it even possible to pour petrol into a inlet close to the engine.
i assumed there was petrol getting to the engine because every time i start it a lot of smoke builds up in the air filter box and i can smell petrol
i am still scratching my head as to what it could be. on a positive note i got the Haynes manual and am learning a lot about the car.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:58 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

oxoovooxo wrote:
........ its the new fuel injection olds engine 3.8 ........

You have a "Corporate" engine, manufactured for GM by Buick. Olds engine would have been a 307 inch V8 with a 4 barrel carb.

Back to the topic:
Quote:
........ does that mean you cant pour petrol into the carb like the older engines ........

Not exactly, a squeeze bottle will accomplish the same task.

Quote:
........ every time i start it a lot of smoke builds up in the air filter box and i can smell petrol ........

This can be caused (among other things) by too little, or too much, fuel being delivered to the combustion chamber.

Quote:
........ i am still scratching my head as to what it could be ........

As you follow the troubleshooting process, you will be able to eliminate many of the possibilities before you ever turn a wrench.

Quote:
........ got the Haynes manual and am learning a lot about the car.

My first choice is the factory Service/Chassis Manual, although I've often used Motors (now Alldata) books. Your Haynes should show you the basic diagnostic procedures, including how to test your fuel pressures.

Does it start easily when it does start?
Do changes in atmospheric conditions change the symptoms?
Any other differences?

Regards, Norm

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:12 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

just waiting for good weather now before i can go at the car again the last 2 months have been hell and last time i was working on the car it started hail stones. id give my left nut for a decent garage :lol:

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:37 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Well, if the engine turns over but doesn't start, I would suggest checking the spark plugs.. Based on earlier posts, it seems you don't have a 307 engine, but it's worth checking.

You said yourself that it sat idle for around a year. I know that when my family's '85 Olds Delta 88 was started, moved, and turned off, the spark plugs went bad. Fast. Once it's started, it has to run for at least five minutes before being shut off to keep from killing the spark plugs. Or it seemed to help.

I don't have much mechanical knowledge, but I thought I'd help by sharing what little I DO know. I hope it helps!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:04 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

is there a way you can check the electricial codes on the car without buying a gm code reader i heard you short out pins a and b does that work

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:24 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

http://tech.oldsgmail.com/ecm_codes.php

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:32 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

So, kinda confused about what car we are talking about after reading this post, but if you have the 3.8liter(probably not newer 3800), and you have checked plugs/wire/sending system(coil etc.)

Spend the money and get the codes run (unless you live in around vancouver b.c.(can run codes on bunch of types of cars)) cause it sounds exactly what my car would experiance every once in a while. I.e. turns over like it wants to start but doesn't, sometimes gets really really close to starting, random smokeyness, it ends up that it is my cam sensor, it went dormant tho for a while (friggin' weird after i cleaned my engine bay and made sure wires were run around the engine not crunched and squished it started and ran fine and maybe once a month it would glitch for a bit)

And once i ran the codes while it was dormant and got a "hard code"?(one that happened and was stored?) popped up being a cam sensor(supposibly cam sensor when it goes bad the car won't start but the car once started will run fine, so its all cleared and hasn't given me the same problem since.

all in all, your symptoms sounded like mine, and mine ended up being a cam sensor.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:38 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

furyolds wrote:
So, kinda confused about what car we are talking about after reading this post, but if you have the 3.8liter(probably not newer 3800), and you have checked plugs/wire/sending system(coil etc.)

Spend the money and get the codes run (unless you live in around vancouver b.c.(can run codes on bunch of types of cars)) cause it sounds exactly what my car would experiance every once in a while. I.e. turns over like it wants to start but doesn't, sometimes gets really really close to starting, random smokeyness, it ends up that it is my cam sensor, it went dormant tho for a while (friggin' weird after i cleaned my engine bay and made sure wires were run around the engine not crunched and squished it started and ran fine and maybe once a month it would glitch for a bit)

And once i ran the codes while it was dormant and got a "hard code"?(one that happened and was stored?) popped up being a cam sensor(supposibly cam sensor when it goes bad the car won't start but the car once started will run fine, so its all cleared and hasn't given me the same problem since.

all in all, your symptoms sounded like mine, and mine ended up being a cam sensor.

thanks man will check that out at the weekend

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:02 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

i got the gm code reader but there is no check engine light coming on at all
how do i know if the computer system ecm is gone. it looked fine and had current going threw it.
the only light that came on was the check battery light and i have to check that because it may not come from ecm
could the lights in the dashboard be blown i guess iam going to have to rip it all apart lol

~update~
blown light in dashboard for check engine light
replaced light computer system works fine
no errors shown which means i still have no idea why she no start

probably have to swallow my pride and send it to a classic car mechanic

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:40 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Just asked my Dad and he says:

The "Check Battery" light will come on when the car is not running, but the key is in the ignition. That's just how it is.

Apparently you might have a bad ground or the computer is getting no power, as that's why the lights on the dash wouldn't come on at all.

Hope this helps!

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ]