It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:30 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

[I]I used to own this car for 5 years, sold it to my Mom last year.... She let my Little Sister check the fluids before a trip... (She is 30 btw). Well she thought it needed water so she put some in.... IN THE OIL!!!! She took off the cap that said OIL ONLY, and dumped in about 4-5 2 liter bottles of water. The engine was running and left running before she went to calling everyone on her phone to find out what she needed to do... Then she called me. I yelled turn it off!!!! I maybe female, but I do know a few things about cars, and would never have made this down right stupid mistake.

Now I have to find out how to get it all out, will multiple oil and filter changes take care of it? Do i need to flush the system with something before I change the first oil filter? Any help would be appreciated. Thank You.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:04 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Hi BrtPolinski,

Welcome to TOC

Quote:
........ about 4-5 2 liter bottles of water ........
If it was left alone for a couple of days, the oil would have floated to the top. In this case you could have drained the water and replaced the plug when the oil appeared.

Quote:
........ The engine was running and left running ........
This complicates things.

When water and oil are scrambled (so to speak) by the the reciprocating assembly (crankshaft, connecting rods, etc) the effect is similar to "churning" butter, with the same result.

If you remove the plug and clear water flows, all is good. You can change the oil/filter on general principles.

If milky water flows, an oil/filter change is in order.

If nothing flows, you will have to remove the pan and scoop the "butter" out.

Regards, Norm

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:52 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Ty, Norm. For your Info.

We let it sit until yesterday, drained it (oil was milky and really thick) Changed the oil, and filter let it run aprox 10 mins, then repeated the process. Unfortunately, the motor is knocking.... figured it would not make the noise once the oil was changed again but even with a third oil and filter change it still sounds the same. The mechanic told me it is going to need a new oil pump since it may be clogged with the "butter". Might as well replace bearings too while at it I guess. I sure wish my sister would have taken a minute to read the cap before dumping all that water in the oil. I do make an apology to her here for calling her in an indirect way, stupid. I am sorry.

If any further input can be given, please respond, any info is better than none. Thank you. :confused:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:43 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Quote:
........ mechanic told me it is going to need a new oil pump since it may be clogged with the "butter".
Clogged? Not likely. If he/she found a lack of oil pressure, it would be a main/rod bearing issue. The pump is normally replaced at the same time they are addressed.

Quote:
........ Might as well replace bearings too while at it I guess ........
Normally, damaged bearings = damaged crankshaft. To find out how much, the crank will have to be visually inspected.

If it is needed, a "crankshaft kit" comes with a reground crank and new bearings, along with the gaskets and seals needed for the installation.

How many miles on the car?

Norm

Profile Personal album  

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]