It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: where to get new engine
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

i bought a 1983 oldsmobile regancy 98.
it had engine problems that were worse than i had thought so i need to put in a new engine.
as far as i now the old engine is a v8 5ltr 307.
how or where do i get a new engine
is it possible to buy a new engine that will match up the car including transmission.
i noticed at a lot of car shows that most of the engines are new so i guess it must be possible.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:29 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

It is definitely possible to replace an engine and transmission, but you should do your damnedest to at least match makes (GM with GM, Ford with Ford, etc.). My boyfriend and his father rebuilt an '87 Mustang, and dropped a completely custom engine into it that was based on a Ford engine. It's strictly a drag racing car, but the principle remains the same. I'm no expert, but I'm going on what I know, here.

I would suggest checking EBay, and your local Auto Classifieds. In our area here we have magazine racks in our local restaurants and grocery stores containing things like Auto Focus, Windy City Wheels, and Illinois Auto & RV (which is by far the best for classic cars and non-conventional vehicles). Just recently I saw an ad for a nearly-new engine. Those are your best bet unless you know someone who can build you one, or if you can do it yourself.

EDIT:

When I checked through our Classifieds, this is what I found (just as an example):

CHEVY HIPO ENGINE. Small block, complete, 350+ .040 bolt, forged pistons & crank, balanced, mostly new, alum. heads, water pump & intake, HEI, LT4 hyd. roller cam, 400+ hp., can hear run, call for info. $3,500 OBO. Granger, IN.

If you look, every once and awhile you find a gem. Just don't lose hope, and you'll find what you need.. Especially between everyone here and at the summer events all of us will undoubtedly be attending. Even if you pick up a "donor car" whose body is falling apart but whose engine and trans are in working order, it may be worth it.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:01 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

oxoovooxo wrote:
........ as far as i now the old engine is a v8 5ltr 307 .........

Image shows the casting numbers, and their location next to the oil fill tube, on a 350 Olds block. If your numbers are 556607, you have a 307 Olds.

Quote:
........ how or where do i get a new engine ........
Highly unlikely you would find a new Olds engine.

Quote:
........ is it possible to buy a new engine that will match up the car including transmission ........
Not unless you can find that Olds engine that probably does not exist.

Quote:
........ i noticed at a lot of car shows that most of the engines are new ........
Some might be new, but most are either rebuilt, with some shiny accessories added, or just steamed and/or cleaned and painted, with some shiny accessories added.

The most practical choice is to rebuild the one you have.

Norm

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:22 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Ankomst wrote:
........ Chevy ........
Engine mounts don't line up, starter is on the wrong side, trans won't bolt up, and none of the accessory brackets will work.

Ankomst wrote:
........ Small block, complete, 350+ .040 bolt, forged pistons & crank, balanced, mostly new, alum. heads, water pump & intake, HEI, LT4 hyd. roller cam, 400+ hp., can hear run, call for info. $3,500 ........
For the same money, he could rebuild his 307, and know it was done correctly.

Norm

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:31 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

I wasn't advertising an engine he SHOULD put in.. It was just an example of what you could find if you look through your local auto classifieds. Sorry about any confusion. n__n;

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:34 am 
TOC Member
TOC Member

thanks for advice guys
its the 307 v8 5ltr for sure
the previous owner destroyed the engine started it in cold weather with only water to cool engine. it basically exploded a few bung-caps fell out i was hoping it was just a matter of putting new ones in but the engine appears to have small cracks in engine aswell so not worth repairing. will be on the lookout for donor car. looks like its going to cost a fair bit to restore so i might put the hole thing on hold and store the regency in a garage for a while

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:38 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

If you're looking for a donor car with the same engine, Ebay Motors is generally where I look for parts. The AARA in Arizona may also be able to help solve your problem, though shipping is generally kind of expensive; especially for something that heavy. Good luck hunting!

Though, I would take the Admin's words over mine. They've been doing this longer than I have. Most of my posts that were actually helpful were because my father was sitting right there telling me what the problem was.. -nervous laugh-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:55 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

hey guys i had no luck finding a car with the same engine but a friend of mine has a cheap 1977 Oldsmobile Regency 98 with a 6.6 engine
is it possible to replace my 1983 5ltr for the 1977 6.6ltr
the car itself looks the same just different engines?
also iam guessing the electrical systems would be different?

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:14 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

oxoovooxo wrote:
Oldsmobile Regency 98 with a 6.6 engine ........
Assuming 6.6 = 403 cubic inches: Externally your 307 and the 403 are the same and all mounts, accessories, brackets, etc, will interchange.

oxoovooxo wrote:
........ also i am guessing the electrical systems would be different?
Unless it is emissions/computer related, everything will interchange. Use the 307 carb, distributor, sensors, etc.

Norm

Profile Personal album  

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]