It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:15 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

Hi, i recently bought a used 1993 Oldsmobile 88 Royale LS and I need some help and info. It had more problems than I thought it was going to. The one at the moment that is the most daunting is something that is obviously wrong with the transmission, its an automatic. I pretty much don't know anything about cars accept to change the oil add change the breaks, thats about as far as my expertise goes unfortunately. By saying this dont count on anything i say being very deytailed or correct. All I can do is describe whats wrong from uneducated in cars point of view. I just need more information and thoughts so thanks in advance. Whats happening is going from any stop to first gear it does something really wierd, Its like it doesnt catch or something. I mean it will go but it feels like its skippin. If i let on and off the accelerator it catches. Its just for a few seconds and then its fine. Once i get above first its golden. so any info would be helpfil. Thanks a lot.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:39 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

How many miles? Have you pulled the transmission fluid dipstick? My guess is the fluid is very brown....it's supposed to be red, but it changes because of all the worn friction material in the fluid. On the bright side, it could just be low fluid...so definitely check it out. On the other hand, the bands could be worn out....the transmission needs to be rebuilt.

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:41 pm 
TOC Member
TOC Member

It has 171,000 on it. And me not thinking eveything through very well i failed to actually check the transmission fluid. The people that owned it prior to me said that they just changed the fluid, but it is definitely unwise to believe everything everyone says. That will be the first thing i do tomorrow is check the fluid. If that needs to be changed would that fix it? I mean if it was the fluid shouldnt I be having problems in every gear and just not first? Next question worst case scenario its the bands. I've got the people resources to fix it. Worked on cars all their life. If I got the parts is it something that could be replaced by someone who knows what they are doing?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:46 pm 
TOC Admin
TOC Admin

Low fluid can cause shifting problems.

I was just mentioning that discolored trans fluid is representation of damage done inside the transmission.
The fact that it was recently changed doesn't help the issue, only hides it--the damage has already been done, especially if it's the first time it was changed.
171,000 miles on these transmissions is a lot...

Do check if the fluid level is correct though...

TOC Admin
Brando

Profile Personal album  

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]